Ssd Upgrade For Laptop

22 hours ago, fools said:

The decent thing is to come back and respond and/or thank people for their answers, if they don't, a fair assumption is they never read them. It happens frequently on this forum, post a question, then nothing.

Apologies for a lack of interaction from me - what with a leaking roof, my partner's son and girlfriend being ploughed in to by a truck on the motorway, our 17yo cat dying and the run up to Christmas, i've been slightly distracted of late.

I do appreciate everyone's input and feedback and feel bad for not responding sooner.

The laptop seems to crash when moved slightly or touched in certain places (ooh err...) which i put down to the old style of drive. My assunption was that an SSD drive, due to not containing moving parts, would not only speed up the machine, but also reduce the amount of technical issues.

Wasn't really having a go at you, you thanked in advance, which is something many don't do.

just so many similar threads die without any resolution

---

what do you mean by crash?

sounds more like an electrical problem

Edited by fools

23 hours ago, fools said:

The decent thing is to come back and respond and/or thank people for their answers, if they don't, a fair assumption is they never read them. It happens frequently on this forum, post a question, then nothing.

I agree it's decent to reply and to thank people for any help offered (in any context really, online and in real life). Nice when people do respond, but you don't know what else is going on in other poster's lives.

I try to avoid making assumptions; it's not safe to assume a response hasn't been read if they don't reply.

Just curious, if you don't mind me asking. Do you think getting a response, and a thank you, is a large part of what motivates people to offer help and advice on here? Such that, no reply is akin to no reward for the work (time and effort etc) of offering help and advice?

Interesting question (especially right now!)

I suspect many contributors to forums are perhaps lonely, and in need of some interaction. Helping someone out, is one way in which they can get a human interaction.

Some may want validation, to demonstrate their ability in a particular field.

Some are just happy to give their time and experience to help a stranger out, save them some money.

---

I'm in the latter category.

I don't care about thanks, it's just a civil thing to do isn't it. My moan was really at the people who think it's ok to post a question, then vanish - I noticed it on here long before I joined, people were spending an awful amount of their free time helping strangers who never apparently acted on the advice. And that, after it's done a few times, will inevitably lead to people not bothering to give advice.

---

OP, sorry if I've taken your thread off-topic, and sorry to hear about your troubles, been through a couple of those myself.

11 hours ago, fools said:

Interesting question (especially right now!)

I suspect many contributors to forums are perhaps lonely, and in need of some interaction. Helping someone out, is one way in which they can get a human interaction.

Some may want validation, to demonstrate their ability in a particular field.

Some are just happy to give their time and experience to help a stranger out, save them some money.

Thank you fools. I tend to agree with those points.

I suspect I'm a bit of purist, if that's the right word. The ideal being to offer help without expectation of reward or recognition.

Apologies for derailing the thread. To the OP, I have an oldish (5 years maybe) laptop which I replaced it's hard drive with a SSD. Was really easy to do, and made a big difference to boot up time and general performance.

I have just bought an SSD for my old laptop and can I just swap the old hard drive for the new SSD without cloning the old drive. What I mean by this is, could I then re-install Linux mint on the laptop.

5 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

I have just bought an SSD for my old laptop and can I just swap the old hard drive for the new SSD without cloning the old drive. What I mean by this is, could I then re-install Linux mint on the laptop.

You could - but it would be a 'new install' - with none of the data/applications you had added to the current hard -drive.

By that do you mean I would have to install such things as Libre office and web pages?

6 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

By that do you mean I would have to install such things as Libre office and web pages?

Whatever you had installed yourself, yes, and any information you had added since the original Linux Mint was installed - which is why I personally would clone your current installation and copy it across - although the new drive would have to be the same size, GB-wise, or bigger as I don't think you can copy to a smaller one.

45 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

Depending on which Linux you download, some already come with LIbre office.  There's usually a "lite" version which is the OS, and a "full" which includes the office suite and extra video players and other multimedia stuff.

Edited by alchresearch

I'm outa here - as usual no-one reads what I post.

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

Whatever you had installed yourself, yes, and any information you had added since the original Linux Mint was installed - which is why I personally would clone your current installation and copy it across - although the new drive would have to be the same size, GB-wise, or bigger as I don't think you can copy to a smaller one.

Thank you for that information.