Ssd Upgrade For Laptop

Hi all

I have an old (in tech terms) HP Pavillion laptop with an AMD A8 processor and 1TB hard drive.

It's obviously showing it's age as it's slow and clunky now. I'm financially stuffed at the minute so can't really afford a new machine, so would it be cheaper to upgrade with a new SSD? Is this easy for someone with a basic knowledge to do or would i need to pay someone to sort it?

I don't use it for anything hardcore, just writing/researching/listening to music etc. I'm not a gamer or anything.

Hope this all makes sense and thanks in advance for any replies.

Re-install the operating system, it will be like new again

I replaced mine in à Dell laptop. Relatively easy if youve done any work on computers, but if not might be better to get it done for you.

It involves prising the case open to get to the drive, cloning it onto the SSD using software provided and a connecting cable you may need to buy, then replacing the original HDD with the SSD. Need to make sure the SSD will fit into the case before you buy one.

It turned my very slow starting machine into one that starts up in seconds.

Forgot to add = theres a number of YouTube videos showing how to do it, maybe one for HP laptops.

Edited by Gormenghast
To add

Fitted one to my Dell 1745, now boots up almost immediately, and runs faster.

Mine is now so fast it turns me on .

A SSD is worth considering.  If you buy one, before installing it, obtain your Windows license key from the current hard drive and write it down. If it’s not on the bottom of the case, you can find it as follows: 

Find Windows 10 Product Key on a New Computer

Press Windows key + X.

Click Command Prompt (Admin)

At the command prompt, type: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey. This will reveal the product key. Volume License Product Key Activation.

The  Crucial SSD Compatibility tool. This will give you the information you need re acquiring and installing a new SSD.  You will then need to download and install Windows 10 from Microsoft. It should activate with your license key. 

It’s also worth buying a caddy for your old hard drive so you can transfer stuff back onto the computer or just use it for storage.  Caddies (or hard drive enclosures) are quite cheap and easy to set up. 

SSDs are amazing.  I've brought a bank of old Samsung netbooks back to life thanks to SSDs and Linux.

A 3+ minute boot time in Windows down to just 40 seconds with Linux.

a 3 minute boot time isn't down to hard disks, it's down to whats on it.

<30 seconds boot on a traditional hard disk has been possible on every version of Windows, which is why a reinstall is a good starting point

Academic, as the OP appears to have gone awol, like most of them do, it's a waste of time answering people on here,rarely goes anywhere

Edited by fools

On 16/12/2021 at 22:22, fools said:

a 3 minute boot time isn't down to hard disks, it's down to whats on it.

<30 seconds boot on a traditional hard disk has been possible on every version of Windows, which is why a reinstall is a good starting point

Academic, as the OP appears to have gone awol, like most of them do, it's a waste of time answering people on here,rarely goes anywhere

Maybe not a waste of time for them if they’ve read and utilised the information provided.

The decent thing is to come back and respond and/or thank people for their answers, if they don't, a fair assumption is they never read them. It happens frequently on this forum, post a question, then nothing.

Installed a 250GB SSD to my i7 Lenovo ideapad a couple of years ago at least. Almost all of the time I just close the lit putting the Lap to sleep. Then one day it did an upgrade requiring a reboot. Took about 5 minutes to load from cold after that. Basically, the SSD took me from a 5 minute boot time at a functional Google Chrome screen to 15 seconds. Still the same now, 14-20 seconds depending why it's cold booting. It's actually quicker than my Samsung S20 at waking up.