COVID THREAD

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

My point is not actually about Covid per se, but about whether it was necessary to lock down the country for 2 years, which has done irreparable damage and which in the long run might prove worse than the pandemic itself, and is also killing people. It actually probably needs a new thread, but as a lot of the old arguments will probably re-emerge, maybe not. 

I would be asking the same questions whether either party was in charge. The same questions were asked during the pandemic, but ignored or met with hysterical reactions, which is maybe not surprising during the worst of it, but was (IMO) also egged on by a hysterical media which suppressed counter views and stifled sensible debate, as did the government. There were quite a few respected journalists who couldn't get their counter lockdown arguments into print at the time, which is suspicious in itself in what is supposed to be a free press.

Your point WAS about Covid as thats why there was a lockdown, NOT because of anything else, apart from your conpiracies, would there be a lockdown if another party wouldve been in power, do you have to be so dumb? everything we heard from labour would be a yes, parties in other countries of various political persuasions (left and right) also locked down. Ive always said and its been backed up by facts that the tories actually dithered at the start and it ended up actually costing more lives that shouldve due to not locking down quick enough (a couple of weeks late), same with trumps US

35 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Your point WAS about Covid as thats why there was a lockdown, NOT because of anything else, apart from your conpiracies, would there be a lockdown if another party wouldve been in power, do you have to be so dumb? everything we heard from labour would be a yes, parties in other countries of various political persuasions (left and right) also locked down. Ive always said and its been backed up by facts that the tories actually dithered at the start and it ended up actually costing more lives that shouldve due to not locking down quick enough (a couple of weeks late), same with trumps US

Covid has been argued back and forth and done to death for the past 2 years.

But we are still suffering the effects of Lockdown, and that looks to continue for the forseeable future. So I think we need to turn our attention to that to try and mitigate the fall out. When people blame covid for the state we're in, they really mean lockdown, that's what's caused the damage, and it was probably unnecessary in the first place. It's certainly strange that nothing has gone back to normal, and according to some, never will.

Why for example are people still working from home? Why is no one answering the phones? why are airports in chaos? Why are we short of workers  in nearly every sector? Why are laws that prohibit gathering and protesting still being introduced? Why are we still experiencing shortages and gaps on the supermarket shelves? Why are school children reluctant to return to school...? 

t feels like a game of chess, where all the pieces are being positioned before the final move - checkmate.

3 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Covid has been argued back and forth and done to death for the past 2 years.

But we are still suffering the effects of Lockdown, and that looks to continue for the forseeable future. So I think we need to turn our attention to that to try and mitigate the fall out. When people blame covid for the state we're in, they really mean lockdown, that's what's caused the damage, and it was probably unnecessary in the first place. It's certainly strange that nothing has gone back to normal, and according to some, never will.

Why for example are people still working from home? Why is no one answering the phones? why are airports in chaos? Why are we short of workers  in nearly every sector? Why are laws that prohibit gathering and protesting still being introduced? Why are we still experiencing shortages and gaps on the supermarket shelves? Why are school children reluctant to return to school...? 

t feels like a game of chess, where all the pieces are being positioned before the final move - checkmate.

theres a lot of things and a lot of it is also to do with brexit, a lot of it is to do with a certain war in the Ukraine, there is no covid conspiracy and surprisingly not everything is down to covid.

11 minutes ago, Anna B said:

And this is where we move from conspiracy theories to doomsday prophecies. Oh the old great big reset.

FYI, I'm now back in the office full time and my life has returned to as it was 2019. 

I go to work, find shops open and fully staffed on my lunch break, even pubs when I have a drink after work, get stuck in morning traffic, able to talk to people over the phone etc etc 

Ironically you are moaning about lockdown and yet you need to get out more. 

Guest sibon
24 minutes ago, Anna B said:

To me, it seems as though we’ve found a better way of doing some things. Other things are returning/have returned to how they were. 

I’m not constrained in any way any more. I can do as I choose (except for shouting through a trumpet outside parliament). You should too.

I’m interested though. What does checkmate entail, in your world?

9 minutes ago, Anna B said:

One way to move forward is to react in a balanced way.

We were not locked down for 2 years

The majority of people either never had to work from home or have since returned to their workplace.

We and other developed countries have long relied on topping up our labour force with imported labour.

What gaps are on supermarket shelves ...other than Heinz products at Tesco.

Are children more reluctant to go back to school than they ever have been?There were many kids who were bored stiff when the schools closed and happy  to get back in to the old routine.

There is and always has been many burning issues of the day for our political masters to tackle.

Its time that both major parties got their heads together to support common goals because the constant party political wrangles are counter productive.

We need policies on Fuel,power,,strategic materials,NHS,farming, labour etc.etc. that are consistent and endure beyond the term of a single government.

Guest sibon
35 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Its time that both major parties got their heads together to support common goals because the constant party political wrangles are counter productive.

We need policies on Fuel,power,,strategic materials,NHS,farming, labour etc.etc. that are consistent and endure beyond the term of a single government.

In the ocean of nonsense that this thread has become, a small raft of good sense.

I couldn’t agree more.

Edited by sibon

Would you support another lockdown if the money tree was given another shake? 

If I got some of the cash then yes, I'd be happy to not work this winter.

Ohh, Covid infections are on the rise, apparently.

To paraphrase Peter Mandelson, I'm intensely relaxed about it.....

I could not care less, it would, literally, be impossible.

Edited by Chekhov

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Most people can afford to care less about the rise in infections than they did in 2020 for many reasons including the mutation of the virus to a less harmful version,the vaccines and the adoption of more effective treatments.

However the possible knock on effects to the NHS remain an issue in that both the influx of patients and the level absenteeism through sickness could be a problem.

So remain optimistic but at least recognise that we’ve need the scientists to continue to monitor the direction of travel

3 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Very big of you  

3 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Can't say I'm too fussed myself.

I'm at the point where I now know more people with adverse jab reactions than adverse convid reactions.

• Thanks 1