COVID THREAD

4 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

So he didn't mean it then ? The problem is saying stuff like that only works when it is quite plainly hyperbole. In the same interview Buckley also was boasting about the fact his kids "wore masks and didn't mind it at all". In addition, because I was widely quoting him I wanted to give him the chance to clarify his statement so E mailed him, but he never bothered replying.

So no, I think he meant it literally, he was virtue signalling, and now he is hoisted by his own petard.

But, to an extent, this is all irrelevant anyway, I simply asked Sibon if Buckley's comment was proportionate, a simple "no" would have sufficed, but he could not even bring himself to say that.

Why boasting.?

Why not just stating?

Obviously some kids did not mind wearing a mask at all because there were plenty that I saw wearing one unsupervised as they came away from school.

• Like 1

Guest sibon
8 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

But, to an extent, this is all irrelevant anyway, I simply asked Sibon if Buckley's comment was proportionate, a simple "no" would have sufficed, but he could not even bring himself to say that.

There is no need to answer. It was just a bloke giving an opinion. It wasn't policy. More of a rather boring irrelevance.

14 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Banning opening windows on trains = not proportionate

As you are unable to answer the question which asked when did "Banning opening windows on trains..." happen? I shall do it for you.

It has not been banned at all.

There are public timetable trains where you can open the windows. Some still around Sheffield.

During the height of the Covid pandemic passengers were positively encouraged to open the windows.

All modern train have top speeds of 90mph plus, open windows would causes too much noise, rain ingress, aerodynamic(energy consumption), undermine heating and ventilation, dust, dirt and eye injuries. You can still travel on examples of trains with openable windows on a few Northern services from Sheffield which are about to be scrapped.

You are of course confusing yourself and the readers as the ORR has identified a problem specific of drop down windows on heritage carriages using the mainline and separately on private railways with, different and limited gauges and clearance including drop windows needed to open doors by the passengers. Passengers are far less aware of the dangers of open windows as generations pass. Many heritage railways have always prevented the ability to stick your head out.

Railways have always prided themselves with the best safety record of any sort of public transport.

25 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

As you are unable to answer the question which asked when did "Banning opening windows on trains..." happen? I shall do it for you.

It has not been banned at all.

There are public timetable trains where you can open the windows. Some still around Sheffield.

During the height of the Covid pandemic passengers were positively encouraged to open the windows.

All modern train have top speeds of 90mph plus, open windows would causes too much noise, rain ingress, aerodynamic(energy consumption), undermine heating and ventilation, dust, dirt and eye injuries. You can still travel on examples of trains with openable windows on a few Northern services from Sheffield which are about to be scrapped.

You are of course confusing yourself and the readers as the ORR has identified a problem specific of drop down windows on heritage carriages using the mainline and separately on private railways with, different and limited gauges and clearance including drop windows needed to open doors by the passengers. Passengers are far less aware of the dangers of open windows as generations pass. Many heritage railways have always prevented the ability to stick your head out.

Railways have always prided themselves with the best safety record of any sort of public transport.

Unfortunately you are wrong. All stock on the mainline, and soon on heritage lines as well, cannot have any window which opens far enough for anyone to put their head out of.

>>Passengers are far less aware of the dangers of open windows as generations pass<<

Do you mean people are getting stupider as the generations pass ? This is actually possible because one of the side effects of so many safety related conditions of life is that people just expect everything to be so safe they do not have to even think about it. And I am not joking.

>>Many heritage railways have always prevented the ability to stick your head out.<<

I have been on quite few and have never seen such a thing. Which one are you talking about ?

5 hours ago, sibon said:

There is no need to answer. It was just a bloke giving an opinion. It wasn't policy. More of a rather boring irrelevance.

There is every need to answer because it shows your attitude to proportionality, i.e. if you have a proportionate attitude to anything "to keep us safe". I'm erring on a no answer from you  to that, "anything which keeps us safe and might save someone's life is a good thing" (except driving). Or, to put it a different way, you agree with Mike Buckley but do not want to say so because Buckley's comment is so obviously ludicrously disproportionate.

Edited by Chekhov

9 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Unfortunately you are wrong. All stock on the mainline, and soon on heritage lines as well, cannot have any window which opens far enough for anyone to put their head out of.

>>Passengers are far less aware of the dangers of open windows as generations pass<<

Do you mean people are getting stupider as the generations pass ? This is actually possible because one of the side effects of so many safety related conditions of life is that people just expect everything to be so safe they do not have to even think about it. And I am not joking.

>>Many heritage railways have always prevented the ability to stick your head out.<<

I have been on quite few and have never seen such a thing. Which one are you talking about ?

There is every need to answer because it shows your attitude to proportionality, i.e. if you have a proportionate attitude to anything "to keep us safe". I'm erring on a no answer from you  to that, "anything which keeps us safe and might save someone's life is a good thing" (except driving). Or, to put it a different way, you agree with Mike Buckley but do not want to say so because Buckley's comment is so obviously ludicrously disproportionate.

You really need to read what the word proportionate means is everything you rant about shows you don't have any inkling, everything with you is all or nothing

On 25/05/2022 at 11:51, Anna B said:

Pandemic or not I'd just be happy if things were operating normally now, instead of Covid being wheeled out as an excuse for every lack of service going. It's all but impossible to see a doctor face to face, to get an NHS dentist, to speak to anyone properly on the phone.

Everyone seems permanently fed up and damaged. No wonder mental health is going down the pan.

I've just tried to make an appointment to see a GP. Got told telephone appointments are the way they are operating now. I wanted a face to face consultation and was told this would be a 4 month wait... Needless to say I'll have to self manage my condition. My mental health is definitely going down the pan.

13 hours ago, melthebell said:

NOBODY on here has ever said vaccine injuries don't exist, your lying again.

ALL medications have risks, and a list of side effects

I'll say again - all medications don't come with billions of pounds of media propaganda (someone showed me a clip from the odious Eastenders that was so vaccine biased it was vomit inducing and from the "impartial" BBC), peoples livlihoods being threatened (and in some cases carried out), threat, coercion and peer pressure, absolutely disgraceful.

1 minute ago, top4718 said:

I'll say again - all medications don't come with billions of pounds of media propaganda (someone showed me a clip from the odious Eastenders that was so vaccine biased it was vomit inducing and from the "impartial" BBC), peoples livlihoods being threatened (and in some cases carried out), threat, coercion and peer pressure, absolutely disgraceful.

none of that has anything to do with what i said and you quoted

you lied

you said we said there was no negative effects from the vaccine

we have never said anything of the sort

then you reply with a load of conspiracy propaganda to hide the fact you lied

end of

@Chekhov

Why on earth would you want to stick your head out of a train window when it’s travelling at speed.

The boozed up travelling football fans would have a high old time.

If there are windows for ventilation or air conditioning what’s the need?

Injury is obviously a possibility even if only foreign bodies in the eye.

Do you let your lad stick his head out of the car window when travelling down the motorway.

Even in the good old days of steam if you stuck your head out of the door windows the stream of ash and smoke would act as a deterrent.

4 minutes ago, melthebell said:

none of that has anything to do with what i said and you quoted

you lied

you said we said there was no negative effects from the vaccine

we have never said anything of the sort

then you reply with a load of conspiracy propaganda to hide the fact you lied

end of

You've shouted down any instance of vaccine injury I've mentioned on here as lies, now the truth is emerging your pretending to have been "on board" all along, read the thread back for evidence, charlatans to a man.

7 minutes ago, top4718 said:

Someone showed you a clip from Eastenders😂How odd.

Just now, RJRB said:

Someone showed you a clip from Eastenders😂How odd.

You need to see it, then you'll know why, you'll probably like it as it fits with the nonsense you believe.