COVID THREAD

Care homes are still requiring Covid tests and masks. They continue to be looked after by people looking like extras from a 1970s SciFi disaster movie

The residents are now all quadruple vaccinated, and most of those in my Mother In Law's care home have already had Covid in April 2020 anyway.

Is there really anyone on here who thinks this is proportionate ? 

And if the answer is yes, when do those people think these measures should be dropped ?

Never ?

9 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Care homes are still requiring Covid tests and masks. They continue to be looked after by people looking like extras from a 1970s SciFi disaster movie

The residents are now all quadruple vaccinated, and most of those in my Mother In Law's care home have already had Covid in April 2020 anyway.

Is there really anyone on here who thinks this is proportionate ? 

And if the answer is yes, when do those people think these measures should be dropped ?

Never ?

They are basic safety precautions for the most vulnerable...by nature of them being in care homes.

Having covid does not mean you'll never have it again.

Vaccines don't prevent transmission

Measures shouldn't be dropped just like washing your hands after using the toilet shouldn't be dropped.

All of this has been said countless times. You are either ignoring it or repeating the question until you get an answer you like..

46 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

You, as a suppressionist, happy, on balance, for society to be suppressed, would say that because you assume, probably correctly, that the WHO would be more likely to demand draconian measures than our own government would. Particularly if it were a Tory government because they tend to value freedom of the individual more than Labour do..

I have no idea why you think that I am a suppressionist but that is the lazy label that you attach to anyone who does not agree with your excitable reactions .

I have never advocated masks,but I have worn one as required in shops or wherever.

My issue is against those who criticise or mock those who think that they are doing the right thing whilst doing no harm to anyone else.

I suspect that my attitude is far more libertarian than your own as you constantly seek to impose your views on others as exemplified by the endless moans on a variety of subjects.

Your second statement,that, I assume the WHO ,will demand draconian measures is also wrong.

A pandemic,by definition a worldwide event would benefit from a worldwide strategy.

The nature of any future pandemic is an unknown.Transmission could be airborne or by direct contact.It could target all ethnicities,age groups ,sexes or whatever.

So I am happy that some basic strategies are there for individual countries for the benefit of the various governments.

Whether these are imposed is not down to the WHO who only act as an advisory body.

My view of Tory governments and many of their supporters is that they value their position as the ruling class above all else and that the freedoms of the general population (and the promises of levelling up) are but political rhetoric.

Edited by RJRB
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Chekhov said:

They generate massive over reactions which achieve very little and for a massive social cost ?

My advice is not to sign it, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Certain people on here have totally lost the ability to think for themselves and will be hoping the WHO treaty comes to fruition so they can be servile to their masters again (whilst earning them billions in the process).

• Like 1

Guest makapaka

It’s over folks - forget about it and move on.

17 hours ago, Delayed said:

They are basic safety precautions for the most vulnerable...by nature of them being in care homes.

Having covid does not mean you'll never have it again.

Vaccines don't prevent transmission

Measures shouldn't be dropped just like washing your hands after using the toilet shouldn't be dropped.

All of this has been said countless times. You are either ignoring it or repeating the question until you get an answer you like..

With all due respect, you haven't answered the question :

1 - Now ?

2 - When some threshold is reached (and if so what threshold) ?

3 - Never, all visitors to care homes (and the staff) should have to wear a mask and be tested for Covid forever.

17 hours ago, RJRB said:

Your second statement,that, I assume the WHO ,will demand draconian measures is also wrong.

A pandemic,by definition a worldwide event would benefit from a worldwide strategy.

The nature of any future pandemic is an unknown.Transmission could be airborne or by direct contact.It could target all ethnicities,age groups ,sexes or whatever.

So I am happy that some basic strategies are there for individual countries for the benefit of the various governments.

Whether these are imposed is not down to the WHO who only act as an advisory body.

As far as I understand it, the WHO are wanting to be more than an advisory body. Countries which sign up to their "pandemic preparedness treaty" will have to do what the WHO tells them to.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by Chekhov

17 hours ago, RJRB said:

My view of Tory governments and many of their supporters is that they value their position as the ruling class above all else and that the freedoms of the general population (and the promises of levelling up) are but political rhetoric.

Up till the recent Council elections I have never voted Tory before. 

But I will never vote Labour again.

This has nothing to do with me "valuing my position as the ruling class" because, unfortunately I do not fall into that group. I'm not sure it even exists anymore.

the freedoms of the general population are but political rhetoric. : I may have cynically agreed with you before this pandemic, but I vehemently disagree with you now. It is frightening what the government was telling us t do and what not to do. I agree with you it was a Tory government, but everybody knows it would have been even worse under a Labour one. I remember June 2021 when they were getting rid of pretty much all the restrictions and masks (thank Gawd) and Starmer was saying we should keep them. If there was any remote chance of me voting Labour ever again it died a death right there.

Edited by Chekhov

12 hours ago, makapaka said:

It’s over folks - forget about it and move on.

If you look at people like Dr Tops and Checkov they cant, they are so far down the rabbithole, they are extremists, its an obsession.

5 minutes ago, melthebell said:

If you look at people like Dr Tops and Checkov they cant, they are so far down the rabbithole, they are extremists, its an obsession.

It is vital, absolutely vital, that supressing society to try (forlornly as it happens) and suppress a virus never ever happens again. And certainly not for one which 99% of people survived even before vaccines and the average age of death was actually higher than the average age of death in this country. As such, me and Tops reminding people on the negative consequences of that suppression is a vital public service.

1 minute ago, Chekhov said:

It is vital, absolutely vital, that supressing society to try (forlornly as it happens) and suppress a virus never ever happens again. And certainly not for one which 99% of people survived even before vaccines and the average age of death was actually higher than the average age of death in this country. As such, me and Tops reminding people on the negative consequences of that suppression is a vital public service.

No, youre an extremist, you have an obsessive personality, and like to whinge, youve found a rabbithole, fell down it, and now youre extreme in your "wrong" views, but your obsession keeps you banging on about it incessantly.

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

As far as I understand it, the WHO are wanting to be more than an advisory body. Countries which sign up to their "pandemic preparedness treaty" will have to do what the WHO tells them to.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I can’t correct you if that is your interpretation of their role as an advisory body on all matters relating to world health and far wider than corona virus.

However it is not my view.

As regards their current activities on the virus I think that their major concern is to make vaccines available worldwide and not restricted to the wealthier nations.

Ultimately this is to the benefit of all.