COVID THREAD

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

There is one factor which may influence how quickly countries get rid of Covid restrictions : Competition.

If I had the choice to go to Turkey with no Vaccine Passports, no masks and no tests, or Greece with some or all of them, where do you think I'd go ?

I accept that for the frightened they would actually be more likely to go to Greece, but I would have thought most people who go travelling internationally would be in the first group, not the second. Plus, hopefully, people will get over all this nonsense quicker than many seem to think, esp if they've had Covid themselves.

I posed this same question on an E Mail group I'm on and got this rather illuminating answer :

I think this more or less happened last year. Turkey saw a chance to snap up some last minute tourist so relaxed first, then Greece saw all the planes flying over them to Turkey, then Spain & maybe Italy followed quickly after. Its amazing how quickly covid gets forgotten when those Euros start flying overhead...

Hopefully that will happen, I think it might.  I want to go on holiday 2019 normal. The only problem is so does everyone else, and loads of people have thousands in the bank which they could not spend during all this nonsense, so the soddin' prices will go through the roof, esp in the school holidays. That will **** me off big time  because I was never in favour of all this cobblers anyway....

Edited by Chekhov

4 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

Also, is it not a shameful thing for her to be repeatedly calling me a 'conspiracy theorist', when I am nothing of the kind/

but isn't that the sort of thing a conspiracy theorist would say?   genuine question although you may feel it to be a moot question.

when would  someone, be likely to accept they are a conspiracy theorist?

12 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I posed this same question on an E Mail group I'm on and got this rather illuminating answer :snip

filed under fiction 

Edited by steve68

41 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Irrelevant though, as that applies to flights to any destination, so-

Still stands.....and I'm guessing it will be Turkey :)

I and several others have been going on about that distinction almost from the very start- the hysterical response was to label us as 'conspiracy theorists'!!

Hardly irrelevant to a bloke who will not wear a mask in any circumstances and has an irrational hatred of others wearing masks.Also presumably travelling with a child over 6 and a wife.

Get your thinking cap on.

You make your decisions and abide by the consequences 

3 hours ago, RJRB said:

Here is my original post .

Why did you put your original post on ? Got an idea but would like to know .

Oh dear, oh dear, they'll (hopefully) never get away with trying to lock us down again). 

Both times the government has gone against all the doomsters they have been proven correct and the scare mongers have been proven wrong :

Sage scenarios vs actual: an update
https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/how-did-sage-scenarios-compare-to-reality-an-update

‘Deaths could hit 6,000 a day,’ reported the newspapers on 17 December. A day later documents for the 99th meeting of Sage were released which said that, without restrictions over and above ‘Plan B’, deaths would range from 600 to 6,000 a day. A summary of Sage advice, prepared for the Cabinet, gave three models of what could happen next:
Do nothing (ie, stick with 'Plan B') and face "a minimum peak" of 3,000 hospitalisations a day and 600 to 6,000 deaths a day
Implement ‘Stage 2’ restrictions (household bubbles, etc) and cut daily deaths to a lower range: 500 to 3,000.
Implement ‘Stage 1’ restrictions (stay-at-home mandates) and cut deaths even further: to a range of 200 to 2,000 a day
After a long and fractious cabinet debate, the decision was to do nothing and wait for more data. 'Government ignores scientists’ advice,' fumed the BMJ. But the decision not to act meant that the quality of Sage advice can now be tested, its 'scenarios' compared to actual.
Sage/Warwick hospitalisations
Let’s start with the Warwick model. It published various Covid scenarios depending on Omicron’s possible ‘severity’: 100 per cent as severe as Delta, 50 per cent, 20 per cent and 10 per cent. A UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) document released on New Year’s Eve said: 'the risk of presentation to emergency care or hospital admission with Omicron was approximately half of that for Delta’. That's still its best estimate. So we open with the 50 per cent severity scenario. Here’s how Warwick’s model is performing for hospital admissions:

[similarly inaccurate to Sage shown below]
So: pretty far out. The Warwick scenario which closest matches actual hospitalisations in England is the one that assumes Omicron is 10 per cent as severe as Delta. But no one has ever claimed the new variant is as mild as that.

1844268007_SagescenariosvactualJan22800W

Just now, hackey lad said:

Why did you put your original post on ? Got an idea but would like to know .

Because Chekhov decided to alter (there fixed it for you) my post which rendered it completely meaningless and another context.

Something else that reflects badly on his character and attitude.

Excellent article by Freddie Sayers (Executive Editor of UnHerd. He was previously Editor-in-Chief of YouGov, and founder of PoliticsHome).

Lockdowns are toast, hopefully forever :

https://unherd.com/2022/01/covid-could-still-save-boris/

Partygate comes just as general support for restrictive Covid measures is dramatically running out. Already in early December, as the Omicron wave arrived and various scientists and experts began to call for the usual kinds of restrictions, the customary majority in favour of another lockdown was evaporating. A massive 68% of people opposed closing pubs and restaurants; 64% opposed stay at home orders.

Since then, the trend has only accelerated. New YouGov polling, seen by UnHerd, reveals a dramatic shift in opinion since before Christmas: support for every one of ten different restrictions tested has fallen even further, and none of them now commands majority support (not even “encouraging companies to allow people to work from home”, the most popular at 49%). Fully 75% of people on December 16 felt that Covid was getting worse in the UK and only 9% felt it was getting better; by January 11 it had swung completely, as 37% felt it was getting worse and 38% felt it was getting better. Public anxiety is falling away as fast as the Omicron wave itself.

Meanwhile, the cohort of scientists who projected disaster without a Christmas lockdown has been humiliated, as their disaster spectacularly failed to materialise. It has left people with the lingering question: what about the previous restrictions? What about all those months we spent trying to navigate those byzantine regulations — how many of them were really necessary?

England is now uniquely positioned to lead the world out of the Covid era — and this alone could save the Johnson premiership. The fact that his government managed to restrain from imposing freedom-curtailing restrictions over Christmas against the advice of Whitty and Vallance, Gove and Javid, an array of activist scientists and the Labour Party, was a decision of global consequence.

Across Europe, lockdowns returned in response to Omicron, and did little to prevent huge surges in cases. In the Netherlands, the lockdown was justified by the same bogus claims from Imperial College about Omicron that nearly scuppered England; meanwhile, the UK case rate is crashing to the bottom of the European league table. From Italy to California, the obsessive focus on vaccine passports — more pointless and divisive than ever in the face of Omicron — has intensified in the past months, while England has all but steered clear of them, save for occasional use at larger events. Many Western countries have managed to create a new underclass of the non-vaccinated from previously law-abiding citizens, who will now be alienated and radicalised for years to come. England has mainly avoided this; our society is strained, but it will hold.

The most significant sentence in this piece is the one in purple......

5 hours ago, RJRB said:

And what is the legacy of those who try to coerce others with unsupported scare stories on the inherent danger of vaccines.

Such views should and must be questioned by others .

It has become a very strange world where individuals or groups can spread their views in some very dark places on the internet.

These then filter into the mainstream platforms such as FB ,Twitter etc and a lot of rubbish is regurgitated .

Fixed it for you, now it's accurate and I agree with you :

And what is the legacy of those who try to coerce others with unsupported scare stories on the inherent danger of vaccines of Covid

Such views should and must be questioned by others .

It has become a very strange world where individuals or groups can spread their views in some very dark places on the internet.

These then filter into the mainstream platforms such as FB ,Twitter etc and a lot of rubbish is regurgitated .

PS I think getting my first post, which was clear to anyone with half a brain, deleted was pathetic. The actions of people attacking the messenger rather than the message, as many on here do.

Have you never seen strike through before (what do you think it's there for), or indeed satire......

Edited by Chekhov

How many of them were really necessary. ?Only the ones with the Chekhov seal of approval we assume.(in hindsight)

7 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Excellent article by Freddie Sayers (Executive Editor of UnHerd. He was previously Editor-in-Chief of YouGov, and founder of PoliticsHome).

Lockdowns are toast, hopefully forever :

Snipped 

this link will do  chekhov

14 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Because Chekhov decided to alter (there fixed it for you) my post which rendered it completely meaningless and another context.

8 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I think getting my first post, which was clear to anyone with half a brain, deleted was pathetic. The actions of people attacking the messenger rather than the message, as many on here do.

Have you never seen strike through before (what do you think it's there for), or indeed satire......

Edited by Chekhov

I hesitate to ask but which of your posts was deleted.

Ha ha  just scrolled back and yes your post was deleted.You should be grateful.

It now explains Hackeys question 

Edited by RJRB

3 minutes ago, RJRB said:

How many of them were really necessary. ?Only the ones with the Chekhov seal of approval we assume.(in hindsight)

We'll see what the judgement of history is shall we ?

It is significant that BOTH times the government have gone against SAGEs advice, SAGE were proven to be totally wrong.

Bearing in mind SAGE and most of the other "experts" have been so spectacularly wrong so often, the obvious question is what would happened had the ignored them back in March 2020 ?

The thing is we may have still had 150,000 deaths from or with Covid, but many would have said "Look, that wouldn't have happened had you listened to the experts !"

BUT IT DID, DIDN'T IT ?

4 minutes ago, RJRB said:

I hesitate to ask but which of your posts was deleted

The one you refer to here :

21 minutes ago, RJRB said: