COVID THREAD

5 hours ago, Chekhov said:

I was getting a bit depressed about all this speculation masks might remain into Feb and beyond. There is no rational reason why, just to show they're "doing something", even though nothing needs doing, though, of course, that's ironic, because masks (in the real world) don't do anything significant anyway ! Regardless of that here's some good news for those of us who wants to get back to normal :

Extend face mask rules and you risk three-figure rebellion, Boris Johnson warned

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/01/17/extend-face-mask-rules-risk-three-figure-rebellion-boris-johnson/

Extend face mask rules and you risk three-figure rebellion, Boris Johnson warned
Tory MPs urge Prime Minister to rule the possibility out ahead of review of ‘Plan B’ Covid restrictions next week

Boris Johnson has been told it would be "mad" to extend face mask rules beyond Jan 26 as Tory MPs warned doing so could spark a "three-figure rebellion".

Mr Johnson is widely expected to scrap regulations on Covid passports and guidance to work from home in England next Wednesday, when "Plan B" restrictions are reviewed. It is possible that an announcement on these measures could come as soon as this week.

However, the Government is understood to be considering retaining some rules on face masks beyond the end of the month.

The proposal would require a Commons vote, as the powers used to introduce the current rules – which oblige people to wear masks in most public indoor settings – expire next Wednesday. On Monday, a series of Tory MPs urged Mr Johnson to rule it out.

Tory Lee Anderson, the MP for Ashfield, urged the Prime Minister to switch from legal rules to voluntary guidance, saying: "I'm of the mind, as a Conservative, that people can make their own minds up if they want to wear a face mask."

The "Red Wall" MP said he would happily continue to put on a face covering voluntarily while using the London Underground "if hundreds of people are crammed in", saying that would be "sensible".

But Mr Anderson questioned why the rules should apply to quieter public transport situations, adding: "If one person is on a bus, why should they wear a face mask?" He confirmed that he would vote against an extension if one were brought to the Commons.

Tory MP Bob Blackman, who sits on the 1922 committee executive, said: "I don't see any point in having rules that everyone is ignoring."

He said that, during a visit to a supermarket in his Harrow East constituency last week, half of the shoppers and none of the staff were wearing face coverings.

One senior Conservative MP warned that the Government would "be mad" to pursue an extension of mask rules and predicted it would provoke a rebellion of more than 100 backbenchers.

"The last thing he [Mr Johnson] needs is another three-figure rebellion," said the MP amid Tory mutiny over "partygate". "The numbers [of Covid cases] are falling now. We know, mercifully, that the symptoms are pretty mild for those who are vaccinated.

If he does that, he looks like he's still being run by [Chief Medical Officer Prof Chris] Whitty and [Chief Scientific Adviser Sir Patrick] Vallance, and at the moment he just can’t afford that. Any backtracking on that [scrapping Plan B restrictions], in his current circumstances, would be foolish."

On Monday night, government sources insisted it was too early for ministers to have made final decisions on retaining aspects of the Plan B measures.

Lord help my eyes 

2 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

Shame then that their legacy has been severely tarnished by those who insisted on compulsory and coerced vaccines.

And what is the legacy of those who try to coerce others with unsupported scare stories on the inherent danger of vaccines.

Such views should and must be questioned by others .

It has become a very strange world where individuals or groups can spread their views in some very dark places on the internet.

These then filter into the mainstream platforms such as FB ,Twitter etc and a lot of rubbish is regurgitated .

45 minutes ago, RJRB said:

The various statistics for the DR seem pretty much follow a similar pattern to most other places.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/dominican-republic/

There are precious few absolute rights and wrongs over the handling of the pandemic around the world.

No they don't!

Deaths per Capita (per 1 mill)

UK 2,222
France 1,943

Sweden  1.517

Switzerland 1,441
Germany 1,383

Canada 828

Dominican Republic 388

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Edited by trastrick

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

And what is the legacy of those who try to coerce others with unsupported scare stories on the inherent danger of vaccines.

It has become a very strange world where individuals or groups can spread their views in some very dark places on the internet.

These then filter into the mainstream platforms such as FB ,Twitter etc and a lot of rubbish is regurgitated .

Here is my original post .

4 minutes ago, RJRB said:
1 hour ago, RJRB said:

Here is my original post .

That makes much more sense 👍

37 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

To be fair a countries death rate depends far more on the age profile of its population than its health service (particularly pre-vaccines), because, err, the virus is not indiscriminate.....

True enough, but the same statistical difference also applies to total cases. Covid is "indiscriminate" you are told.

Total Cases per Capita (1 Mill.)

UK 223,644
France 217,943
Switzerland 200,621
Sweden 162,567
Germany 95,532
Canada 73,235
Cuba 88,592

Dominican Republic 45,836

From the information provided, you can see that COVID is:

A.  More prevalent in the countries with Universal Health Care, and:

B.  More prevalent in the countries that have the authority and means to enforce their pandemic prevention mandates.

Edited by trastrick

@trastrick

It is tempting to draw simple conclusions from a few statistics.

Why is the U.K. apparently far in advance of Germany.

Look at the figures for the various States of America who have followed different paths.Population, density of population,climate ,and numerous other peculiarities must be factors.

Only Chekhov has the answers.

There is one factor which may influence how quickly countries get rid of Covid restrictions : Competition.

If I had the choice to go to Turkey with no Vaccine Passports, no masks and no tests, or Greece with some or all of them, where do you think I'd go ?

I accept that for the frightened they would actually be more likely to go to Greece, but I would have thought most people who go travelling internationally would be in the first group, not the second. Plus, hopefully, people will get over all this nonsense quicker than many seem to think, esp if they've had Covid themselves.

@Chekhov

I wouldn’t worry too much about the destination.Your first hurdle is mask wearing on flights . Unless you are sailing there.

46 minutes ago, RJRB said:

@trastrick

It is tempting to draw simple conclusions from a few statistics.

Why is the U.K. apparently far in advance of Germany.

Look at the figures for the various States of America who have followed different paths.Population, density of population,climate ,and numerous other peculiarities must be factors.

Only Chekhov has the answers.

Indeed!

"COVID Deaths" were the Big Stick that helped Joe Biden come to power. Shut down vs Open up.

Now that the narrative is changing, and Biden is facing elections with an exhausted population, he is in an unholy hurry to open up and get some "normalcy" back into the country.

Hence COVID Deaths, are now being broken down into "With COVID" and "Due to COVID", (what a concept, Lol) so that he can claim his personal death toll of 450,000 is not really that bad, and maybe only half, and can get the country out of these silly mandates he tried and failed to push through the courts!

And the OMIGODMICRON which was hailed as the next doomsday scenario is actually nothing more than a bad cold.

You gotta believe!

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

@Chekhov

I wouldn’t worry too much about the destination.Your first hurdle is mask wearing on flights . Unless you are sailing there.

Irrelevant though, as that applies to flights to any destination, so-

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

There is one factor which may influence how quickly countries get rid of Covid restrictions : Competition.

If I had the choice to go to Turkey with no Vaccine Passports, no masks and no tests, or Greece with some or all of them, where do you think I'd go ?

Still stands.....and I'm guessing it will be Turkey :)

54 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Hence COVID Deaths, are now being broken down into "With COVID" and "Due to COVID", (what a concept, Lol) 

I and several others have been going on about that distinction almost from the very start- the hysterical response was to label us as 'conspiracy theorists'!!