COVID THREAD

22 minutes ago, melthebell said:

its still happening, people are still dying, people are still being hospitalised, a little bit of empathy wouldnt go amiss

But people have died and been hospitalised for a very, very, very long time before Covid came along

Youre empathic towards the 1% of people who get seriously ill from Covid and im empathic towards the 99% of the people who  are not sick from Covid

The 1% cannot stop the 99% from carrying on as normal

Especially now we have an effective vaccine

28 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

But people have died and been hospitalised for a very, very, very long time before Covid came along

Youre empathic towards the 1% of people who get seriously ill from Covid and im empathic towards the 99% of the people who  are not sick from Covid

which is nothing at all to do with what you originally quoted me saying, i was talking about footballers, even if the virus is "milder" how do we know it doesnt affect footballers bodies when they are doing highly strenuous tasks, we know viruses do cause myocarditis.

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Jack Grey said:

Agree with this. 

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

That is totally wrong, even for people over 80. In my Mother in Law's care home a high 38% died, but 62% survived.

You should not be saying stuff like that because you are spreading unnecessary fear. It was wildly inaccurate even before Omicron, but it's even less accurate now Covid is significantly milder. The stats below are before Omicron, i.e. the more deadly variant of Covid :

England-Covid-deaths-Mar-20-to-1st-Dec-2

But it [are people dying of or with Covid] is even more important now that we have a vary infectious but much milder strain of Covid.

But it was always a matter of debate i.e. morbidity rates over and above the average.

It is not a revelation.Identification of Omicron is barely 2 months past,and whilst it has become more prevalent it did not immediately dispel Delta .

So your immediate reaction to the news from South Africa was precipitate. 

Subsequently ,and following due diligence it seems to be influencing policy on restrictions which is welcome.

We're not in the middle of a pandemic

The pandemic is over....has been since last summer

Covid is now purely political 

By any definition Omicron is a pandemic.

How severe it is is another question 

20 minutes ago, RJRB said:

By any definition Omicron is a pandemic.

How severe it is is another question 

But then surely by definition cold & flu is a pandemic

We dont implement emergency powers and force people to isolate for those do we?

And the current restrictions in Scotland & Wales have forced business to close

Edited by Jack Grey

2 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

I agree too. 

But then surely by definition cold & flu is a pandemic

We dont implement emergency powers and force people to isolate for those do we?

And the current restrictions in Scotland & Wales have forced business to close

Correct as regards Flu.Colds are more endemic

Edited by RJRB

4 hours ago, Norbert said:

Well enough to be out shopping, taking things steady.

That's good 👍

4 hours ago, Norbert said:

I said in my experience. See my signature.

TBH I think you should have put that in the sentence.

What we do not want to do it frighten people unnecessarily (like some SF mods did back in April 2020 by deleting posts saying kids were at pretty much zero risk from Covid.....).

4 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

We're not in the middle of a pandemic

The pandemic is over....has been since last summer

Covid is now purely political 

Spot on.

If they were testing million of people a week for Flu (including those displaying no symptoms*) the death stats for flu would be through the roof.

In fact,  we have never ever done this before in history.....

3 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

You're empathic towards the 1% of people who get seriously ill from Covid and I'm empathic towards the 99% of the people who  are not sick from Covid

Brilliantly put.

Edited by Chekhov

4 hours ago, melthebell said:

its still happening, people are still dying, people are still being hospitalised, a little bit of empathy wouldnt go amiss

I would love to know how many people are dying OF Covid at the moment.

But, to a certain extent, it's irrelevant anyway because I cannot believe the suppression methods (which are mild compared to Spring 2020 and we have a far more infectious Covid now) currently employed are having any significant effect at all. All they are doing is giving ill informed people "confidence", and ****ing off millions of others.

2 hours ago, RJRB said:

But it was always a matter of debate i.e. morbidity rates over and above the average.

It is not a revelation.Identification of Omicron is barely 2 months past,and whilst it has become more prevalent it did not immediately dispel Delta .

So your immediate reaction to the news from South Africa was precipitate. 

Subsequently ,and following due diligence it seems to be influencing policy on restrictions which is welcome.

The reaction from so many "experts", on the other hand, was over hasty, bordering on scaremongering :

‘No evidence’ Omicron milder than Delta, British researchers say
Imperial College London study also finds Omicron five times more likely to cause reinfections, but some experts say there are still not sufficient data to draw conclusions.

Scientists warn Omicron poses 'a major, imminent threat to public health

British researchers say they have found “no evidence” that the Omicron coronavirus variant is milder than Delta, casting doubt on the cautious optimism of some experts that the new strain may not be as virulent and not overwhelm healthcare systems.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/12/18/no-evidence-omicron-milder-than-delta-british-researchers-say