COVID THREAD

2 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

How odd that you think that way.

I don't know anybody that wears  "... their underwear 6 hours and then put them in (their) pocket and then wear them again for another 6 hours and do it everyday for weeks on end?" -thankfully.

And then put them on their face .  Very strange behaviour 

1 minute ago, Jack Grey said:

I think you guys have missed my point

Anyway, masks should be a personal choice. if you want to wear them then fine and if you dont then dont 👍

And that's exactly what's happening

5 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

How odd that you think that way.

I don't know anybody that wears  "... their underwear 6 hours and then put them in (their) pocket and then wear them again for another 6 hours and do it everyday for weeks on end?" -thankfully.

Some blokes (not me) would.  You can get 4 days out of a pair of boxer shorts.

57 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

You know exactly what i mean

Dont be pedantic 

I think that only you know what you mean.

6 hours ago, melthebell said:

>> Chekhov said:
It seems to me we're more or less down to "we must continue with trying (albeit forlornly...) to suppress Covid for the sake of the vulnerable".

Two points arise from that :

1 - How long do they think we should keep that up for ?

2 - Exactly how many of these "vulnerable people" are there and exactly how vulnerable are they to Covid (particularly now we have vaccines and a milder variant) ? I do not understand about these "vulnerable peopel" people with reduced immune functions saying Covid is stopping them living a "normal life", after all, how did they live a "normal life" before Covid (with all the disease causing viruses and bacteria etc that have been around for years) ? Why is it so different now that the rest of us have to change how we live for an unspecified time period so an unspecified number of people will be safer to an unspecified degree ?<<

ive no idea on point 1 but i posted part of the the answer to point two, there was 3.7 million on the link i found yesterday, again ive no idea how susceptible they would be, thats what health professionals, doctors and scientists do

Actually it isn't.

You ask any health professional exactly how vulnerable is that person, and they will tell you they do not know, other than "more vulnerable", which is not much help.

5 hours ago, L00b said:

Because Covid has been shown to be capable of turning millions more of hitherto non-vulnerable people, into such “vulnerable people” for the rest of their -shortened- lives:

When are we talking ?

Pre vaccine ?

Pre a quarter to a half of people already having had Covid ?

Pre Omicron ?

That is to say that is irrelevant as to where we are now.

And it isn't millions (in the UK) anyway, about 149,000 people have died from or with Covid in nearly two years, possibly 25% with Covid, so that leaves about 112,000. A big number though most will have only had a bout 5 years of life left to them, but in 22 months around 1.1 million would die "normally", that's 10X more......

Edited by Chekhov

23 hours ago, Longcol said:

>>Chekov said:

Clive Dix, the former chair of the vaccine taskforce, has just said on the radio that he thinks all Covid testing should stop within the next few weeks.

And I agree with him 100%.

I would speculate that bearing in mind that so many people have been vaccinated against Covid, plus Covid is not a significant risk to healthy people under 40, and we now have a milder Covid variant, Covid is now probably less dangerous than the flu.<<

Clive Dix also said last May that covid wouldn't be circulating by August...............................................

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/uk-will-be-free-of-covid-19-by-august-says-vaccine-chief/2233869

He does seem a little naive about everyone being vaccinated by the end of July last year.

BTW a fraction under half the population were over 40 at the last census.

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/uk-population-by-ethnicity/demographics/age-groups/latest

21.3% of the overall population of England and Wales was aged under 18 years, 29.5% was aged 18 to 39 years, 26.7% was aged 40 to 59 years, and 22.5% was aged 60 years and over

>>Clive Dix also said last May that covid wouldn't be circulating by August<<

That was when people thought the vaccines would provide good protection against Covid vaccines, we now know they do not, certainly after around 2 or 3 months

>>He does seem a little naive about everyone being vaccinated by the end of July last year.<<

The vaccine task force was originally (correctly in my view) expecting us to get back to normal once all the over 70s and/or with serious existing conditions had been double jabbed. By the middle of April 9 million had had two doses, and an extraordinary 33 million at least one dose :

AGEUK-death-rate-per-age-group-popn-tota

47 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

How can you touch your nose or mouth when wearing a mask ?

Dont worry ,you can tell us later when your backup arrives 

7 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Dont worry ,you can tell us later when your backup arrives 

Why are you talking to yourself?

23 hours ago, Longcol said:

>>On 04/01/2022 at 19:36, Chekhov said:France, with their extreme draconian mask mandate (medical quality masks and often to be worn outside on pain of an instant fine) now has a higher death rate than us with our rather more half hearted mask laws.<<

UK has 2,177 deaths per 100,000 population, France 1,902.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Well it's not actually over is it, and at the moment France has a death rate 50% higher than the UK.

But in any case that's about 12% less, TWELVE PERCENT ! You think it would be worth the country being forced to have vaccines and wear medical quality masks even outside to save 12% ?

I soddin' wouldn't

I have friend who lives in a studio flat near the centre of Paris which has had absolutely draconian Covid suppression mandates. Unsurprisingly (stuck in that minute flat nearly all day for months, not allowed to go out for more than a short period for exercise) it has badly affected his mental health and he has lost 11% of his weight. I take it you think that's  price worth paying do you ? I soddin' don't.

3 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I have friend who lives in a studio flat near the centre of Paris which has had absolutely draconian Covid suppression mandates. Unsurprisingly (stuck in that minute flat nearly all day for months, not allowed to go out for more than a short period for exercise) it has badly affected his mental health and he has lost 11% of his weight.

First lockdown lasted about 2 months  March/May 2020, second about 6 weeks Nov / Dec 20, third for March/April 21 about 6 weeks - about 5 months out of last 22.

You could also go out for essential activities eg food shopping, visit doctors on top of your hours exercise - and quite a bit more if you went round as a couple for example, socially distanced from other couples.

The police mainly checked the roads out of cities to stop the spread of covid to the rest of France.

4 hours ago, The Joker said:

I do love Le French government.

Really.

I mean, firstly, Le French government make it a punishable crime for Muslim women to cover their faces in public.

And then, Sacre Bleu!  Le French government now make it a punishable crime for people to uncover their faces in public.

Some consistency from Le French government would be nice.

No wonder Le French are rioting.

Anyway, back to your post:  we are fully aware what merde means, thank you very much; it was the second French word I was taught the meaning of, thanks to a rogue languages teacher.

Funny, even though completely wrong, from beginning to end.

No wonder you find it inconsistent 😏

58 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

When are we talking ?

Pre vaccine ?

Pre a quarter to a half of people already having had Covid ?

Pre Omicron ?

That is to say that is irrelevant as to where we are now.

And it isn't millions (in the UK) anyway, about 149,000 people have died from or with Covid in nearly two years, possibly 25% with Covid, so that leaves about 112,000. A big number though most will have only had a bout 5 years of life left to them, but in 22 months around 1.1 million would die "normally", that's 10X more......

We’re talking since Covid was a virus caught by people, and we’re not talking about death ‘from’ or ‘with’ Covid alone, but potentially every person who has caught it since day one, including asymptomatics.

You’d know that if you’d bothered to read the linked Twitter thread (fully sourced and referenced, FYP).

Edited by L00b