COVID THREAD

Guest makapaka
2 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

I don't know any 'good' reasons.

The same reason you give you seat up on a bus.

The same reason you hold a door open.

The same reason you give someone more time.

The same reason you help others.

Everybody who takes the vaccinations, social distance, wash, wear masks etc do so in order to protect themselves and others knowing that there are some who cannot for all sorts visible and hidden reasons  do what you can do. It should be obvious  that these reasons multiply with age.

I think it’s more like everyone’s forgot what we’re supposed to be protecting to be honest.

17 minutes ago, sibon said:

Maybe we should look at both sides. Above is a claim selected by a random bloke off the internet with no relevant experience or qualifications.

Below is a link to a well researched Q and A from Johns Hopkins University. World leaders in this sort of thing.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-face-masks-what-you-need-to-know

Take your pick. But if you pick the non-mask wearing option, please steer clear of the normal people.

If you read the transcript of Scott Gottliebs interview his main message is not anti mask.

Just that these should be of a certain quality and worn properly.

I do think that this message is not stressed as it should be.

FFP2 masks and N95 masks were not available to most of the public initially but they are now.

18 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

What percentage are in because of covid, versus in for other reasons but just happened to test positive when admitted?

I don't know, the govt. figures don't go into that level of detail that I know of. Is there usually such fluctuation in hospital admissions at this time of year?

20 minutes ago, makapaka said:

I think it’s more like everyone’s forgot what we’re supposed to be protecting to be honest.

What  is it that you think that everyone’s forgotten?

Isn't it each other from a virus that has killed millions and the potential for more?

If it was that everyone's forgotten, what made it particularly delighful when walking past three OAPs not wearing a mask.

38 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

What percentage are in because of covid, versus in for other reasons but just happened to test positive when admitted?

33 minutes ago, sibon said:

Do tell us.

I assume you know.

No idea.

Why would you assume I know?

Guest sibon
26 minutes ago, RJRB said:

If you read the transcript of Scott Gottliebs interview his main message is not anti mask.

Just that these should be of a certain quality and worn properly.

I do think that this message is not stressed as it should be.

FFP2 masks and N95 masks were not available to most of the public initially but they are now.

I agree, they would be better than the flimsy masks. The Johns Hopkins article makes a similar point.

The thing is that any intervention needs to be proportionate. A triple layered  fabric mask offers significant reductions in transmission for very little effort on behalf of the wearer. Most people are happy to carry a cloth mask and wear it as needed.

Better to have most people doing something than some people doing everything.

6 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

No idea.

Why would you assume I know?

I thought you were making a salient point from a position of secure knowledge.

Turns out, you were just can kicking, to make some noise. 

Ah well.

Edited by sibon

3 minutes ago, sibon said:

Better to have most people doing something than some people doing everything.

and better to wear something than nothing, putting nothing over your face stops absolutely nothing

Would you guys wear your underwear for 6 hours and then put them in your pocket and then wear them again for another 6 hours and do it everyday for weeks on end?

And then put them on your face?

No you wouldn't......you'd say that its extremely unhygienic and full of bacteria and germs

Well thats what face masks are

il_570xN.2617172218_aprs.jpg

1 minute ago, Jack Grey said:

Would you guys wear your underwear for 6 hours and then put them in your pocket and then wear them again for another 6 hours and do it everyday for weeks on end?

No you wouldn't......you'd say that its extremely unhygienic and full of bacteria and germs

Face masks don't go anywhere near my crotch so it's an stupid comparison

1 minute ago, Delayed said:

Face masks don't go anywhere near my crotch so it's an stupid comparison

You know exactly what i mean

Dont be pedantic 

Guest sibon
5 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

You can do better than this.

Raise your game, man.

5 minutes ago, melthebell said:

and better to wear something than nothing, putting nothing over your face stops absolutely nothing

And what people don’t take into account is that wearing a mask also stops you touching your mouth and nose as much.