COVID THREAD

Like it, the best humour has more than a ring of truth...

A6BA1BC2-B4C8-4390-B75B-40FC389FABCF.jpe

6 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

I am always here to correct you. 

That's nice dear 

2 hours ago, nikki-red said:

I have absolutely no idea who barred you,  it’s a long time ago.

You can draw whatever conclusions you want but all I can say is moderators usually only issued bans on the say so of admin.

There was a group of left-leaning posters. They used to message each other the target poster and report posts. Halibut was one of the worst, but there were many more. They ruined a great forum.

39 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Like it, the best humour has more than a ring of truth...

A6BA1BC2-B4C8-4390-B75B-40FC389FABCF.jpe

This is so true. People who have eaten themselves into a wheelchair complain about unvaxxed people's effects on their health.

https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1475820255507369985?s=20

20 minutes ago, SheffieldBricky said:

There was a group of left-leaning posters. They used to message each other the target poster and report posts. Halibut was one of the worst, but there were many more. They ruined a great forum.

It wasn't them because in the final analysis  it was the moderators, they did not have to delete posts, lock threads and ban people. 

Deleting posts and locking threads (esp the latter) is just lazy moderating anyway, if the post really is offensive the poster should be temporarily suspended or banned for repeated offences. Threads should almost never be locked (for the reasons you alluded to) people who don't like what is being said can gang up and cause the thread to be locked. It doesn't happen much now thank God, but it did, once, on that Covid misinformation thread.

Edited by Chekhov

5 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

It wasn't them because in the final analysis  it was the moderators, they did not have to delete posts, lock threads and ban people. 

Deleting posts and locking threads (esp the latter) is just lazy moderating anyway, if the post really is offensive the poster should be temporarily suspended or banned for repeated offences. Threads should almost never be locked (for the reasons you alluded to) people who don't like what is being said can gang up and cause the thread to be locked. It doesn't happen much now thank God, but it did, once, on that Covid misinformation thread.

Agree the moderators were weak.

5 minutes ago, SheffieldBricky said:

Agree the moderators were weak.

I used to chat via pm with one of the Mods back in the day. He told me who the untouchable posters were. It wasn't a long list but there were definitely members who were above the rules. 

18 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Who said they were expendable ?

I certainly didn't.

What I said is that someone in their 80s dying was nowhere near as sad as a child dying, not in the same stratosphere, or even someone in their middle age dying.

And you show me someone in their 80s who thinks it is as sad, and I'll show you someone with a personality disorder.

Bleedin' hell, once the Guardian (the most pessimistic scaremongering media source on the planet) start saying it might be the end it is almost certainly the end.

REJOICE.

(Bit slow off the mark though, some of us were saying that three weeks ago....)

That wasn't directed specifically at you.  It seems to be a more general attitude, that older people don't matter as much.

I must admit I get a skewed view of ageing, I just try and hold onto the thoughts of  older people I see who don't fall into the negative side of that!

6 hours ago, Chekhov said:

BTW, do you think NHS staff will have to wear masks for ever ?

My wife works at the Hallamshire and is very worried she will have to wear a mask for the rest of her NHS career. I suspect she may be right......

Julia Hartley Brewer does (TalkRadio breakfast show) ! She's like a terrier, she never lets them get away with sloppy answers which the Beeb interviews almost always do.

3 hours ago, nikki-red said:

At work we’ve said from the start that we think we probably will.

Possibly not to the extent we do now (pretty much all the time) but for any patient contact.

We've thought the same.  It's not a prospect I look forward to.

I think they'll look at spread of other infections in hospital, see how they haven't really happened and take it from there...

1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

I used to chat via pm with one of the Mods back in the day. He told me who the untouchable posters were. It wasn't a long list but there were definitely members who were above the rules. 

Was it Tony?

Guest sibon
9 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Was it Tony?

I can't imagine any of the moderating team sharing info about other posters like that.

I spent a year moderating on here and I can categorically state that no list existed then. No posters were untouchable.

I did jack it in because some people were censoring, rather than moderating. I wasn't too keen on being associated with that.

16 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Was it Tony?

No it wasn't Tony. 

19 minutes ago, sibon said:

I can't imagine any of the moderating team sharing info about other posters like that.

I spent a year moderating on here and I can categorically state that no list existed then. No posters were untouchable.

I did jack it in because some people were censoring, rather than moderating. I wasn't too keen on being associated with that.

16 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

No it wasn't Tony. 

Ah okay....