COVID THREAD

1 minute ago, Chekhov said:

To be quite honest, I am jabbed and in my mid 50s, if it was a choice between waiting weeks for treatment for, say, a bad knee, or having a medic with Omicron treat me it'd be the latter every time. As I've said more than once, I want to catch Omicron anyway, so I wouldn't even want them to wear a mask, so long as I didn't have to either !

Well get on and do it - stop hiding behind the sofa 😎

9 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Omicron is between a half and two thirds milder than Delta.

Those under 40 and healthy are at very low risk of serious illness from even Delta, and that much less from Omicron.

If vaccinated most people are at very low risk of serious illness from even Delta, and that much less from Omicron.

Even those un-jabbed and over 80 are STILL more at risk of dying from something other than Covid.

Keep normal everyone.

PS : Personally I want to catch Omicron (rather than Delta).

I hope you're right. We all do. I just think we should be prudent until the scientists have had a chance to test it thoroughly.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

On 25/12/2021 at 00:03, top4718 said:

Same symptoms as a cold, don't believe the hype.

Would you accept that this new variant is highly contagious though?

Even if this new variant is relatively harmless?

10 hours ago, whiteowl said:

I hope you're right. We all do. I just think we should be prudent until the scientists have had a chance to test it thoroughly.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

NO. You talk like being "prudent" has no significant cost, though I accept it has less cost to some people than others*........ If we always take that attitude, "be on the safe side, can't be too careful" we will never get back to normal.

We need to get back to normal, this is bad for society, bad for society and bad for people's mental health, mine for certain.

* I sometimes go on a Boaters forum, most of them are retired or semi retired and have their own boats which they spend most of their time on or, in some cases actually live on.

They are probably the sort of people who are least affected by all this suppression, so it is no surprise they are nearly all rabidly in favour of more and accuse people who are not of being "selfish". They cannot see how hypocritical they are being.

Edited by Chekhov

53 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

NO. You talk like being "prudent" has no significant cost, though I accept it has less cost to some people than others*........ If we always take that attitude, "be on the safe side, can't be too careful" we will never get back to normal.

We need to get back to normal, this is bad for society, bad for society and bad for people's mental health, mine for certain.

We often get winter flu seasons that result in the NHS struggling, patients in coridors, they even inoculate children for flu.

Is that to save their lives or to try to help the NHS when it comes to patients in coridors in winter?

COVID is worse than flu, you accept that?

3 minutes ago, El Cid said:

We often get winter flu seasons that result in the NHS struggling, patients in coridors, they even inoculate children for flu.

Is that to save their lives or to try to help the NHS when it comes to patients in coridors in winter?

The damage to the NHS from the consequences of lifestyle diseases like obesity, type 2 diabetes, heart disease etc is worse than the current consequences of covid- do you accept that?

4 minutes ago, El Cid said:

TBH, with Omicron it's starting to become very similar, in SA they reckon 80% fewer people end up seriously ill.

Once you factor in the very high vaccination rates for Covid in the UK for Covid (far higher than for Flu) then I am of the view Covid is now at the same level as Flu in terms of potential deaths.

1 minute ago, onewheeldave said:

The damage to the NHS from the consequences of lifestyle diseases like obesity, type 2 diabetes, heart disease etc is worse than the current consequences of covid- do you accept that?

Yes I do, but there isnt a surge in winter that overwhelms the NHS.

Do do agree with my assertion that COVID is worse than flu? By 10% or maybe by a factor of 10 times worse, you choose.

7 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Worse damage to the NHS. Someone was telling me the other day that obesity / diabetes was placing intolerable strain on the NHS, it was/is costing an absolute fortune.

Edited by Chekhov

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Worse damage to the NHS. Someone was telling me the other day that obesity / diabetes was placing intolerable strain on the NHS, it was/is costing an absolute fortune.

Which can be see by the slow down in people living longer, but I believe COVID has had more of an effect, but short term hopefully.

22 minutes ago, El Cid said:

>>Worse damage to the NHS. Someone was telling me the other day that obesity / diabetes was placing intolerable strain on the NHS, it was/is costing an absolute fortune.<<

Which can be see[n] by the slow down in people living longer, but I believe COVID has had more of an effect, but short term hopefully.

It is possible that Covid killed more people (earlier than they otherwise would die) than obesity in the 11 months from Apr 2020 to Feb 2021 , but I would be very surprised if that was the case after that.

Edited by Chekhov

16 hours ago, Chekhov said:

To be quite honest, I am jabbed and in my mid 50s, if it was a choice between waiting weeks for treatment for, say, a bad knee, or having a medic with Omicron treat me it'd be the latter every time. As I've said more than once, I want to catch Omicron anyway, so I wouldn't even want them to wear a mask, so long as I didn't have to either !

I'll come and cough on you if you want.

I think I feel worse with this than when I had whatever variant it was last year.  I also feel really guilty that I can't go to work this week, as I'm letting my colleagues down 😥.