COVID THREAD

8 hours ago, top4718 said:

The WHO (whether you can believe anything they say) are saying vax roll outs like the UK's are denying less well off countries from getting up to 40% vaccinated and prolonging the pandemic according to director general Dr Adhanom Ghebreyesus. We're throwing vaccines around like confetti to people that don't need it, selfishness personified but sums up a large majority of people where its covid or nothing.

Meanwhile it was reported over 2 weeks ago, India announced that it had cut there vaccine production by 50% whilst awaiting further orders, and was  sitting on  half a Billion stockpiled vaccines. 

14 minutes ago, butlers said:

Long article on Covid 

New evidence strongly suggests COVID is natural, not from a lab leak

https://flip.it/oTgCgE

Thanks butlers. It's frustrating though that it doesn't state who wrote the article, unless I'm missing something.

16 hours ago, RJRB said:

This [what you would have done] is of course all with the benefit of hindsight and still contentious 

It's not actually with the benefit of hindsight, I have said it right through.

The only think I have got wrong is I did not expect a big rise in infections over last winter (because many of the suppression measures had been relaxed and the death rate still plummeting *). That error was because I had forgotten just how seasonal Covid is (particularly the original less infectious strain) made worse by the Kent variant which was more infectious.

* Thus proving, incidentally, that they can't really work that well can they ?

15 hours ago, nikki-red said:

The full video is here…

He obviously starts to say ‘kids’ then changes it to ‘children’.

Hes basically saying its better to give a vaccine to an older person in a poor country than a child in an affluent country. 

There is no justification whatsoever to vaccinate children, and I mean up to 18. It is purely about trying to temporarily lower the infection rate (to only benefit adults) whilst ignoring the child. It is immoral.

Adults should protect themselves by getting vaccinated (particularly if over 40 - even more s over 60 - and/or unwell) and not rely on kids getting an unnecessary vaccination so as to slightly lower the adults risk of being infected. It's all a soddin' waste of time anyway because nearly everyone will end up getting Covid and the government should just be honest with people.

15 hours ago, SheffieldBricky said:

It is. I'm careful. Do everything as required. Don't go in pubs or big events.

If you are under 40 and healthy that is unnecessary because you are at very low risk from dying of Covid even if unvaccinated. Even less with the milder Omicron version.

Edited by Chekhov

14 hours ago, RJRB said:

@onewheeldave

You quoted Chekhov regarding his Covid policy.

How does his proposal for a National Registry to assess personal risk stack up with your concerns regarding civil liberties.

It sounds like a minefield to me.

I clarified that point, it would NOT be a national registry, it would purely have been for people to anonymously find out what their risk factor is so they could then decide how to live their lives. As an additional refinement everyone would also be advised what their risk of dying in road accident is so as to put their Covid risk into perspective :

E.G :

Your risk of dying from Covid if infected would be 1 in 800. 

In the UK your risk of dying in a car accident at some point in your life is about 1 in  250, or 1 in 20,000 in any one year.

Incidentally I said ALL of this at the time.....

Edited by Chekhov

19 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

If you are under 40 and healthy that is unnecessary because you are at very low risk from dying of Covid even if unvaccinated. Even less with the milder Omicron version.

COVID affects the elderly a lot more, how much has the demographics of the population changed?

Are the 150,000 deaths significant, in terms of the care sector or pension provision?

Will we see care homes closing down because a sizable chunk of the elderly have died with COVID?

Edited by El Cid

7 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I clarified that point, it would NOT be a national registry, it would purely have been for people to anonymously find out what their risk factor is so they could then decide how to live their lives. As an additional refinement everyone would also be advised what their risk of dying in road accident is so as to put their Covid risk into perspective :

E.G :

Your risk of dying from Covid if infected would be 1 in 800. 

In the UK your risk of dying in a car accident at some point in your life is about 1 in  250, or 1 in 20,000 in any one year.

Incidentally I said ALL of this at the time.....

like this  https://qcovid.org/ risk calculator 

9 minutes ago, steve68 said:

like this  https://qcovid.org/ risk calculator 

Yeas, just like that.

But that was not available and certainly not widely advertised. It should have been the government that set up that website and strongly advised people to use it, instead of coining out with all this cobblers about "This virus is indiscriminate".

BUT, of course, they would not want to do that because they wanted to encourage universal fear so as to ensure compliance with their draconian suppression policies.

I have to say that calculator seems rather pessimistic compared with most other info I have read.

Edited by Chekhov

2 hours ago, butlers said:

Long article on Covid 

Just so long as it isn't an article on Long Covid.....

1 hour ago, butlers said:

Long article on Covid 

New evidence strongly suggests COVID is natural, not from a lab leak

https://flip.it/oTgCgE

An opinion from Ethan Siegal, Astrophysicist and "Big Banger" Blogger.

https://twitter.com/StartsWithABang/header_photo

To his credit he opines that, "Although most scientists have compelling reasons to favor a natural origin for SARS-CoV-2, a few prominent biologists have suggested a lab-leak origin for the pandemic:.

Here's a more definitive "narrative" from another unqualified  source, VP Kamila Harris: 

Kamala Harris absolves China of responsibility for COVID-19

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/kamala-harris-absolves-china-of-responsibility-for-covid-19

A classic case of "the less you know, the more certain you become"  :)

But what are other "experts" saying?

Biden receives inconclusive intelligence report on covid origins

"President Biden on Tuesday received a classified report from the intelligence community that was inconclusive about the origins of the novel coronavirus, including whether the pathogen jumped from an animal to a human as part of a natural process, or escaped from a lab in central China, according to two U.S. officials familiar with the matter".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/08/24/covid-origins-biden-intelligence-review/https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/08/24/covid-origins-biden-intelligence-review/

And here's a well qualified Fauci Critic:

"Richard Ebright, a molecular biologist at Rutgers University, said the documents – obtained via a Freedom of Information Act request — made it clear that Fauci had been “untruthful” about gain-of-function research.

“The documents make it clear that assertions by the NIH Director, Francis Collins, and the NIAID Director, Anthony Fauci, that the NIH did not support gain-of-function research or potential pandemic pathogen enhancement at WIV are untruthful,” he tweeted.

“The materials show that the 2014 and 2019 NIH grants to EcoHealth with subcontracts to WIV funded gain-of-function research as defined in federal policies in effect in 2014-2017 and potential pandemic pathogen enhancement as defined in federal policies in effect in 2017-present.”

The proposal was for a project titled “Understanding the Risk of Bat Coronavirus Emergence,” which involved screening thousands of bat samples.

“This had been evident previously from published research papers that credited the 2014 grant and from the publicly available summary of the 2019 grant. But this now can be stated definitively from progress reports of the 2014 grant and the full proposal of the 2017 grant.”

So the poor citizen is left to wonder and who to trust.

This might help, for those who posses a modicum of common sense:

U.S. Senator Tom Cotton:

“We don’t know where it originated, and we have to get to the bottom of that,” Cotton said in one interview in February 2020. “We also know that just a few miles away from that food market is China’s only biosafety level 4 super laboratory that researches human infectious diseases.”  :)

Anna B.

"Partly autobiographical ,mostly an explosive voiding rheum

on the idiocies of contemporary science and culture. Mullis gives us 

a piece of his magical mind".

London Review of Books

I bought it when it came out. I was interested in Mullis's ideas on the effectiveness of PCR in detecting  infection with HIV.