COVID THREAD

Guest makapaka

South Africa tells everyone there’s a new variant but not to panic.

uk panics and tells everyone else to panic.

South Africa says there’s really no need to panic.

uk goes on huge drive to account for every omicron case and records daily increases and tells everyone to really panic.

france bans entry from uk into Europe and lorries start queuing at dover. 

sport starts being cancelled.

hospitality demands financial help cos no one will go out at the busiest time of the year cos they’re panicking.

people cancel Xmas plans.

etc etc 

Still no details on this mystery death WITH Omicron on Monday then, and still no others since?

Hmm.

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

Still no details on this mystery death WITH Omicron on Monday then, and still no others since?

Hmm.

It's been in the country about 2 weeks, if its like the other variants you won't see hospital cases related to it for about 3 weeks. Deaths - if there are any and isn't milder in about 4.

Just now, tinfoilhat said:

It's been in the country about 2 weeks, if its like the other variants you won't see hospital cases related to it for about 3 weeks. Deaths - if there are any and isn't milder in about 4.

So you agree its a bit suspect then?

9 hours ago, SheffieldBricky said:

Tesco have followed Morrisons by stating unvaxxed won't get the same sick pay as the vaxxed. So someone who's worked there 25 years and never had a day off has 2 weeks of for covid and gets nothing. At the same time someone has been there 6 months and has had 3 months off with various complaints gets sick pay.

Got a link to this?

Does it apply to people who're sick with covid, or, people who are sick with things other than covid?

Does such a policy not encourage anyone who is sick to come into work anyway, creating safety issues and spreading the disease?

3 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

You're not concerned that the authorities announced a death from/with omicron in a time period which is too short for a death from omicron.

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

So that is your answer to my point ? :

>>So I just put last years figures on, but you are now saying you do not think it will be as bad ? Can you see why I am confused ?

Now you have introduced doubt into the matter, can you put some figures on how bad you think it will be ?<<

It's not much of an answer, and I am just as confused as I was before. So, are you now saying even if fewer people die or are hospitalised with Covid, it will still be "as much of a disaster as last year".

Can you see why that's a bit, err, contradictory ?

Or is it that the number of people who die is so sad its irrelevant, so any number (one or one thousand) is too many and therefore it will be just as bad.

I joke not, many people seem to take this view.

You’re only confused, because you want to pin me down on a number, so that you can then re-engage with your pro-herd immunity approach.

But I’m not talking about aggregate deaths, never was: I’m talking about the fitness of the NHS to continue delivering care to all who’ll need it in the coming weeks, impaired as it will likely be by mass hospitalisations resulting from mass infection volumes.

1 death, a thousand, 40 thousand…it doesn’t matter one bit what the number will be: that will be the consequence of the point I raised, it’s not the point itself (and could not ever be, since it’s pure crystal ball territory at this stage).

The point ever since last year was, and is again fast becoming (due to the sheer transmissibility of Omicron and the emerging science highlighting the sell-by-date of single/dual vaxxing benefits, given the UK’s booster figures), that the NHS capacity will get maxed out quick -again- but this time, if the geometric progression of Omicron described by virologists is averred, it will get maxed out much earlier.

By the time you start hearing and reading about UK hospitals declaring an emergency, the wave will already be so far under way as to be unmanageable from the perspective of healthcare provision.

13 hours ago, SheffieldBricky said:

I don't know. They seem to ignore natural immunity. The vast majority of people who have died have been over 80, obese or already seriously ill. More people have died under Joe Biden's Presidency than Trumps and Biden's had the vaccine for all of his Presidency. How does that work?

New York Times Report Shows More Americans Died From COVID Under Biden VS Trump : US : Christianity Daily

I don't expect anyone to address this point. That's were we are.

Don't see many of the "thousands needlessly died" folks weighing in on old joe's incompetence.

Especially when deaths from COVID blame was his No.1 issue in his campaign.

According to Worldometer

Covid Cases

Under Trump 24,638,000

Under Biden 26,652,000 and rising daily.

Covid Deaths

Under Trump 426,769

Under Biden 396,661 and rising daily

And Biden had those "effective and safe" vaccines, courtesy of the Trump Admin's, "unprecedented" and "miraculous") Warp Speed Vaccine Development Program.

Edited by trastrick

3 hours ago, Hecate said:

There it is.  That's the key to this thread, isn't it?  Being right.  Pathetically, it's about a small group of shouty blokes on a small forum desperately wanting to be right; and not only being right, preening in your perceived rightness. 

If we end up seeing fewer cases, hospitalisations and deaths than anticipated - whether that's due to people's own actions and medical intervention, or because the data and modelling was incorrect - the response from sane people will be collective relief, not this sad, self-congratulatory gloating.

It's not at all about being right, it's assessing the situation as you see it and reacting in the best possible way for everyone, the actions of the Government currently are absolutely farcical and engineered to coerce people into a jab they don't need, that's the be all and end all, what I want to do is to actually make people see that before it's too late, unfortunately many are not.

Are you happy that vital cancer screenings and smear tests (the key to cancer treatments) are being halted to push a booster vaccine that the majority don't need and for a mild illness?

Edited by top4718

That's the main pitfall, for the social and economic engineering theorists.

They never factor in  human nature!

They believe folks won't line up in droves for free stuff, if they don't really need it. In their social paradise, nobody cheats, and we all live happily ever after.

Until election time, and they have to get real, and buy votes!  :)

41 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

So you agree its a bit suspect then?

It's odd, I'd grant you that. 

That or its been here longer than they realised. I did read today, less than half of covid cases are actually tested. 

Did anyone see the article from Wales Online where they claimed to show a queue for booster jabs with the tag that some people had had to wait 5 hours accompanied by a photo with a long queue of people in shorts and t-shirts and the trees above them in full lush greenery 🤣 they've now got that many people indoctrinated they even have to try to make the BSrealisitic anymore.