COVID THREAD

Have to LOL at so many people viewing healthcare measures in the midst of a pandemic as a slide into authoritarianism, yet so few people opining about the latest legislative measures banning protests, removing citizenship without notice, disenfranchising millions with voter ID, making EU27 residents reapply for settled status after 5 years, and so much more.

3 minutes ago, L00b said:

Have to LOL at so many people viewing healthcare measures in the midst of a pandemic as a slide into authoritarianism, yet so few people opining about the latest legislative measures banning protests, removing citizenship without notice, disenfranchising millions with voter ID, making EU27 residents reapply for settled status after 5 years, and so much more.

Who are the millions who don't have ID to vote? It must be a tiny minority. It's not possible to live in a modern world without ID.  I bet you support covid passports which disenfranchise minorities the most.

12 minutes ago, L00b said:

Agreed. Baker will be queueing up to strip rights off people. Wear a mask? The horror!

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

I carry my three jabs verifications along with my driving license and other cards, I can only surmise that the folk who object have not been vaccinated.

There are actually quite a lot of vaccinated people who strongly oppose compulsory and coerced vaccination- they believe it should be a matter of personal choice and that to compell or coerce people into it is both wrong, and a threat to civil liberty.

38 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Agreed. Baker will be queueing up to strip rights off people. Wear a mask? The horror!

https://academic.oup.com/jlb/article/7/1/lsaa064/5912724

Why do I get the feeling you've not actually read the paper?

Guest makapaka
Just now, onewheeldave said:

There are actually quite a lot of vaccinated people who strongly oppose compulsory and coerced vaccination- they believe it should be a matter of personal choice and that to compell or coerce people into it is both wrong, and a threat to civil liberty.

I am one of those people.

52 minutes ago, L00b said:

Again, people have expressed deep concern about those issues, on this thread. I am one of them- very early on at the start of the pandemic I highlighted the emergency covid measures including things like removing the requirement for 2 doctors to sign to section a person, changing it to only one doctor [who didn't even have to know the patient]; same with the reidiculous £10,000 fines for organisers of protests. 

As is standard on this board, all these concerns were ridiculed with the usual accusations of 'conspiracy theorist'.

31 minutes ago, SheffieldBricky said:

Don't you think it's strange that there doesn't seem to be any treatments when someone shows symptoms? I'm afraid you have Mass Formation Psychosis. I'm not saying it as a slur or to ridicule, you just can't see what's happening. I wish it was all made up junk. The people closest to me in my life have had the vaccine and I worry about them. Especially the young. Who knows what effects the next variant will have on the vaccinated. I'm glad more and more everyday that I didn't have the jab.

Conspiracy Theorists use terms that sound good like  "...Mass Formation Psychosis" without any understanding  apart to that fed to them and hungrily devour.

Conspiracy Theorists, unable to adequately explain their point, will regularly tell their imagined audience that they are unable to see what's happening.

Conspiracy Theorists overestimate their ability to influence and underestimate the ability of people to reject Conspiracy Theories.

Most Conspiracies Theories are harmless, even amusing,  and ignored ,but in this case, the harm being done requires the misinformation to be challenged and the politically motivated backers outed.

1 hour ago, SheffieldBricky said:

I've quoted 2 people today. One who created the technology that produced the corona vaccine and one who has a multitude of published papers and books. Science isn't a fixed discipline there are different opinions. Things change. The vaccine was sold as an end to the problem. It isn't. This issue has turned into the latest division. Much like Brexit, climate change and Trump. Both sides disagree and will never agree.

I've only seen a couple of GPs who I thought were on the ball and everyone has a story to tell about terrible treatment, misdiagnosis and errors. My daughter in law has had her life cut short by 5 years because of a botched operation for which she sued and was awarded big bucks.

Don't get me started on dentists...

My view is that in general terms the advance of medicine has greatly enhanced the quality of life and life expectancy for the majority of civilised populations.

Once again it seems illogical to me to be ruled by exceptions to the rule.

59 minutes ago, SheffieldBricky said:

Who are the millions who don't have ID to vote? It must be a tiny minority. It's not possible to live in a modern world without ID. 

Indeed, a quick look at the Northern Ireland (somewhere where you have had needed ID for years to vote) Elections website tells me they accept the following:

- Passports (plenty of people have these)

- Driving licenses (again, plenty of people have these)

- PROVISIONAL driving licences (yet again, plenty of people have these)

- An over 60's bus pass (everyone over 60 can get one for free)

- A blind or war disabled bus pass

Failing that, you can apply for a

- Electoral Identity Card

....which is FREE.  So who exactly is it disenfranchising? Answer = nobody

Edited by HeHasRisen

2 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Again, people have expressed deep concern about those issues, on this thread. I am one of them- very early on at the start of the pandemic I highlighted the emergency covid measures including things like removing the requirement for 2 doctors to sign to section a person, changing it to only one doctor [who didn't even have to know the patient]; same with the reidiculous £10,000 fines for organisers of protests. 

As is standard on this board, all these concerns were ridiculed with the usual accusations of 'conspiracy theorist'.

The Conspiracy Theorist descriptor applies to those parts of the thread where individuals deliberately misinform, misuse data, copy chunks of stuff from Conspiracy sites and politically motivated Conspiracy sites.

Everybody has had to adjust to the pandemic.

Everybody is learning.

Everybody modifies their views over time.

Everybody should be concerned for the impact of Covid on society-including our human rights.

Mixing Conspiracy Theories with human rights is a tactic used by Conspiracy Theorists- lets keep them separate.

Lets note down every change in the law/rules/accountability/provision/funding/expectation and call our institutions, government, business etc, to justify change.

26 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

https://academic.oup.com/jlb/article/7/1/lsaa064/5912724

Why do I get the feeling you've not actually read the paper?

Do you read my links?

34 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Conspiracy Theorists use terms that sound good like  "...Mass Formation Psychosis" without any understanding  apart to that fed to them and hungrily devour.

Conspiracy Theorists, unable to adequately explain their point, will regularly tell their imagined audience that they are unable to see what's happening.

Conspiracy Theorists overestimate their ability to influence and underestimate the ability of people to reject Conspiracy Theories.

Most Conspiracies Theories are harmless, even amusing,  and ignored ,but in this case, the harm being done requires the misinformation to be challenged and the politically motivated backers outed.

You're in total denial and will only seek out data that is confirmation bias. There's fear at the heart of it, I can sense your fear. You are right to be afraid. You've made a catastrophic error. 

21 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

The Conspiracy Theorist descriptor applies to those parts of the thread where individuals deliberately misinform, misuse data, copy chunks of stuff from Conspiracy sites and politically motivated Conspiracy sites.

Everybody has had to adjust to the pandemic.

Everybody is learning.

Everybody modifies their views over time.

Everybody should be concerned for the impact of Covid on society-including our human rights.

Mixing Conspiracy Theories with human rights is a tactic used by Conspiracy Theorists- lets keep them separate.

Lets note down every change in the law/rules/accountability/provision/funding/expectation and call our institutions, government, business etc, to justify change.

Another young(ish) person ruined by the vaccine

ESPN FC on Twitter: "BREAKING: Sergio Aguero has announced his retirement from football at the age of 33 due to a heart condition. Thank you for all the memories Kun ❤️ https://t.co/BndhwX8GT2" / Twitter