COVID THREAD

13 minutes ago, petemcewan said:

Chekhov.

Some good points you have made.

Just a question for you. In your opinion,what is it that the authorities want to achieve by imposing vaccine passports and (possibly) compulsory vaccination?

Apparently there has been one death today attributed to the Omicron Variant . 

“At least one person in the UK has died with the Omicron coronavirus variant, the prime minister has said. “

BBC website.

Not quite the same as a death attributed to the omicron variant. 

6 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I dont disagree [that Omicron will be a big over recation]. In the end it could prove the thing that kicks the more extreme variants into the long grass and gets this over quicker, who knows.

More importantly, one would hope the public will see the boy would have cried wolf just once too often.

Unfortunately that' s exactly what happened in July ("Freedom day is grossly irresponsible"), and the scared stiff public have already forgotten that.

It's utterly pathetic, my opinion of the Great British public has plumbed new depths. Too many petriffied bed wetters who can't even think for themselves.

Edited by Chekhov

Just now, Jim Hardie said:

“At least one person in the UK has died with the Omicron coronavirus variant, the prime minister has said. “

BBC website.

Not quite the same as a death attributed to the omicron variant. 

Exactly, they could have died of bloody pneumonia or cancer, its Project Fear in operation. Release as few details as possible and hope the populus get scared and go and queue for their booster, its clear as day whats going on.

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

Different scientists say different things, have you no picked up on that ?

BUT, you seem to be saying scientists are always right  ! In actual fact they have been wrong more than they have been right. I could quote loads of examples of them being wrong, but let;s just go with one, and I'd like you to accept this not just ignore it :

July 2021 :

"scientists" and other over cautious "experts" were saying that England should not get rid of masks and stuff because it was "highly irresponsible" and we could have up to 200,000 infections a day.  No we should keep the suppression measures on "like Scotland and Wales".

What actually happened was the peak infection rate was 55,000 on the 17 July, "Freedom day" was on the 19th July and cases dropped, never to reach that peak (a peak attained when masks and stuff were mandated) !

Even more surprising, to the "experts" (who, according to you are usually - or always - right) was what happend in Scotland and Wales, their hospitalisations were worse than ours ! :

England : No mask mandate since 19th July (to 30th Nov), no vaccine passport (to 10th Dec)
Scotland : Mask mandate still in force from last year, vaccine passport since 1st Oct (enforced since 18th Oct)
Wales : Mask mandate still in force from last year, vaccine passport since 11th Oct
Patients in hospital with a positive Covid test per million popn (on 3rd Dec 21, the last date for which the change in mandate cannot have had any effect)
England : 103 - Scotland : 118.5 - Wales : 141.3
Deaths from any cause within 28 days of a positive Covid test
Last date for which full data is available is 26 Nov for Eng and Scot and 25 Nov for Wales.
Number of deaths 7 day average / per million popn =
England = 95.4 / 1.69
Scotland = 10.6 / 1.93
Wales = 5.7 / 1.78

23 minutes ago, Hecate said:

This is an excellent example of what I mean.  You don't have a clue, do you, why I've highlighted these two points.  But yes.  Yes, I have picked up on that, funnily enough, and no I did not say, and I would never say, that scientists are always right.

Did you accept this (above) ?

Edited by Chekhov

3 hours ago, Chekhov said:

There will be even more if they're all forced to wear masks all day forever....

LOL

dont you think Doctors and Nurses wear masks in hospital anyway? :hihi:

Edited by melthebell

21 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Exactly, they could have died of bloody pneumonia or cancer, its Project Fear in operation. Release as few details as possible and hope the populus get scared and go and queue for their booster, its clear as day whats going on.

Sadly some just don't want to see it though 

5 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

More importantly, one would hope the public will see the boy would have cried wolf just once too often.

Unfortunately that' s exactly what happened in July ("Freedom day is grossly irresponsible"), and the scared stiff public have already forgotten that.

It's utterly pathetic, my opinion of the Great British public has plumbed new depths. Too many petriffied bed wetters who can't even think for themselves.

I think you are caught up in your own dystopian world.

Everyone that I know is carrying on with their lives as best as they can whether vaccinated or not within the confines of the confusion created by a weak and flip flopping government.

Its not the wider public that is the problem and to suggest that everyone is “scared stiff” and “petrified” is ridiculous.What circles do you move in?

In addition you say the scientists are more often wrong than right.There are always variations on opinions and only history can suggest which is nearer the truth at some point in time.

The current drive to increase vaccination in the U.K. is in my opinion justified and amounts to no more than any type of insurance.

That is its a collective safeguard against a problem that we hope will not happen.

As in the Brexit discussions,Project Fear is a tool that can be used equally by both extremes of an argument and you are contributing accordingly .

We were told that being double-jabbed would protect against serious harm, even against variants, for 6 months before starting to wane.

We hear that Omicron is more infection, but less severe than other variants, and that double-jabbed does protect against it.

Then we're told they want to give us another jab (of the same vaccine - not one created for Omicron or variants) asap, with no reasoning given (but remember they have massive unused stocks from the 300 million doses they bought pre-variants).

Rumours of only one death from Omicron, from thousands of reported infections, with no more details.

I'll wait for my 6 months before another jab thank you - they are simply scaring us for no reason other than to keep us under control until they bring in Covid Passports and more restrictions on us all.

Jim Hardie;

I get your point. There is a big difference between "caused by "

and "died with".

Guest sibon
1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

England : No mask mandate since 19th July (to 30th Nov), no vaccine passport (to 10th Dec)
Scotland : Mask mandate still in force from last year, vaccine passport since 1st Oct (enforced since 18th Oct)
Wales : Mask mandate still in force from last year, vaccine passport since 11th Oct

Patients in hospital with a positive Covid test per million popn (on 3rd Dec 21, the last date for which the change in mandate cannot have had any effect)
England : 103.7
Scotland : 118.5
Wales : 141.3

Deaths from any cause within 28 days of a positive Covid test
Last date for which full data is available is 26 Nov for Eng and Scot and 25 Nov for Wales.
Number of deaths 7 day average / per million popn =
England = 95.4 / 1.69
Scotland = 10.6 / 1.93
Wales = 5.7 / 1.78

I've no idea what you are trying to prove by this tedious reposting of an erroneous interpretation of data. Can you think of other reasons for the differences you are highlighting?

Here are some more numbers. Current infection rates per 100 000:

Plymouth: 874

Sheffield: 311

Kirklees : 253.

All with identical mask mandates.

I'd be fascinated to read your interpretation of those numbers.

Edited by sibon

1 hour ago, redruby said:

I’ll bow to greater knowledge in vaccine patents.

(I don’t do life sciences or chemistry patents, I do all others 😉)

It’s not so much knowledge about ‘vaccine patents’, as knowledge about patent law. These  measures have always existed, and were originally framed for military tech. At least some civil service types (even if only national/IP patent office staff) should know enough about these, to inform and advise policy
that is, provided that they are asked and, even if not, then maybe at least listened to.

Sadly, ‘experts’ and all that. What do they know about running a country (etc, etc, etc.)

1 hour ago, redruby said:

(
)

Its very defeatist to just give up and say we have to ‘live with covid’ whilst lurching from one crisis to another.  

Not an attitude that you’ve ascribed to me, hopefully.

As I’m very much more the “hope for best, plan for worst” type, hence the informative/ constructive (alright, frequently cynical too) posts.

2 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

The biggest problems  are:

Ignorance of how viruses work

ignorance of how viruses spread

ignorance of how the immune system works

ignorance of how vaccination works

ignorance of how viruses change

ignorance of medical statistics

Those are legitimate problems, but I believe you missed the real problem:

Politicization of the science, by politicians, and the MSM to further their own interests. Even the "scientists" themselves allow themselves to be caught up in it.

Which inevitably contributes to, and reinforces, the division between the population along the usual political lines, and lack of faith in information coming out of the Administration.

i.e.

"Its not possible for Boris to be honest, it suits his purpose to spread fear.", posted just a couple hours ago."

Here's Biden's head medical honcho:

Fauci, "I represent Science". To his critics, "you’re really attacking not only Dr. Anthony Fauci, you are attacking science". 

No reputable scientist would make such a statement.

Fauci Can't Use Science to Excuse His Missteps - The ...https://www.washingtonpost.com â€ș business â€ș 2021/12/01
Dec 1, 2021 — Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and ... and said that he did so partly to encourage more vaccination and partly ...

Fauci apologizes, says he misspoke about getting COVID-19 ...https://news.yahoo.com â€ș fauci-predicts-good-control-o...
Aug 23, 2021 — Dr. Anthony Fauci walked back his prediction Monday that it will take the United States more than one year to get control of COVID-19.

Fauci apologises for saying UK 'rushed' vaccine - BBC Newshttps://www.bbc.com â€ș world-us-canada-55177948
Dec 3, 2020 — Dr Anthony Fauci, the top US infectious disease expert, has apologised for remarks that seemed to criticise the UK's vaccine approval ...

Fauci apologizes for casting doubt over UK's ... - Reutershttps://www.reuters.com â€ș article â€ș us-health-coronavir...
Dec 3, 2020 — Top U.S. infectious diseases expert Anthony Fauci apologized on Thursday for casting doubt on the rigor of the British regulators who ...

Fauci makes it difficult to believe anything he says ... - 790 KABChttps://www.kabc.com â€ș 2021/08/25 â€ș fauci-makes-it-di...
Aug 25, 2021 — Dr. Anthony Fauci walked back his prediction Monday that it will take the ... .com/news/fauci-apologizes-misspoke-covid-control-by-fall-2022 ...

Edited by trastrick