Strange Building On Hoyle St

https://photos.app.goo.gl/v14m1rug6A8orAPx6  https:/

Looking for any info on the strange looking building on the corner of Hoyle St and Doncaster St. Only the facade appears original with what appears a corrugated tunnel behind and attached to the facade. What was its original and subsequent uses? Cheers.

I know that it has been used a taxicab office - for quite a while (as in years). Before that I don't know....

Used to have large quantity's of conveyer rubber belting in the yard so probably engineering.

13 minutes ago, retep said:

Used to have large quantity's of conveyer rubber belting in the yard so probably engineering.

And a very nasty Alsatian .

9 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

And a very nasty Alsatian .

I used to rent a yard below and to the rear, I let the Lord of Hillsborough have it when I' done with it.

The plot once belonged to the Council who sold it in about 2018 to 'Scotfield' who wanted it as part of the Hoyle Street development. 

At the back is Matthew Street where 8 children aged between 2-10 were crushed to death by hundreds of tons of steel which was leaning on a wall inside Doncaster's works and fell onto the road in which they were playing.* 

In 1935 the plot was houses.

The plot was hit by a German bomb HE bomb in 1940.

Presumably the bomb damaged houses were demolished .

Nothing was left of the original houses. 

May have been called Middleton's Yard.

There was also a UXB.

The 1952 map shows a vacant plot. 

A 1963 map refers the building as an 'Engineering Works'.

* Source: Chris Hobbs APPALLING DISASTER AT SHEFFIELD - Eight children killedMatthew Street, Sheffield - 25th August 1886

Edited by Annie Bynnol

10 hours ago, retep said:

I used to rent a yard below and to the rear, I let the Lord of Hillsborough have it when I' done with it.

The little fellow .

There was a window maker just below , joiners shop ,I think his name was Phillip summmitorother.

Edited by cuttsie

seem to remember in the 1950s  i think it was Rigbys tiles (as in bathrooms) but could be wrong 

In the 1960s/70s my dad managed a National Tyre & Battery garage on the opposite side of Hoyle Street to the building in question.

It was in what looked like bombed out houses/buildings.

Anyone remember that?

echo.

Edited by echo beach