Parking Ticket At Victoria Keys, Sheffield

On Sunday 21st. November  about , I parked on Victoria Keys car park, when I tried to leave I found the ticket machine was out of order and would not accept my ticket, hence I could not pay,  I tried to get assistance but couldn't find a phone number or any other means of communication.

I have since been informed by Bank Park Management who runs the show that I am being charged £100 : 00 , or £60 : 00 for early settlement. As it was not my fault that the machine was defective I am appealing against the charge. I kept my parking ticket which shows a different entry time to what Bank Park Management  indicates. I tried to pay at around 1200.

While I was trying to pay another motorist drove up and saw the machine was not working and so drove out, I assume he has a ticket also.

If anyone else has been caught by this please ring me , 07778 655587. It is unfair that people should be penalised for faults that are caused by duff ticket machines.

Unless the other guy had gone and found a different machine that was working, paid and then left?

Edited by geared

As always in private parking matters, you should post your query on the pepipoo or money-saving-expert forums. You'll get expert advice there.

37 minutes ago, actionman said:

Dont pay.

Its an invoice, not a fine

It's an invoice of a sort which the Supreme Court, in Parking Eye v Beavis, decided was fully capable of being an enforceable debt under the right circumstances. It is often possible to avoid paying, but it requires taking the right steps, hence my recommendation to the OP to ask for advice on a suitable forum.

Just tell them you forgot your quays (Sorry, I couldn't help myself)

Video footage of the out of order machine would help too... don't contact them and don't accept the invoice.

Since POFA 2012 was enacted, and especially since PE v Beavis 2015, most private parking advice forums no longer suggest ignoring or not contacting. You risk getting a default judgement against you at small claims, and even if you do defend, the refusal to engage earlier may be seen as unreasonable by the judge when it comes to awarding costs.

Parking Eye issued me with a demand a few years ago which I successfully challenged. Mine was for a hospital car park where you passed through the PE 'gate' to even drop someone at the door, which is what I did and then picked them up again later in the day. Unfortunately PE said I had arrived at the earliest time but not left the car-park until the latest time, ie. I was parked during all the intervening time. I replied to their demand and told them to look at their camera footage for proof that I hadn't stayed. They accepted this and withdrew their demand. So I guess it's always best to engage with any parking company despite how wronged you feel.

17 hours ago, Victor Meldrew said:

Parking Eye issued me with a demand a few years ago which I successfully challenged. Mine was for a hospital car park where you passed through the PE 'gate' to even drop someone at the door, which is what I did and then picked them up again later in the day. Unfortunately PE said I had arrived at the earliest time but not left the car-park until the latest time, ie. I was parked during all the intervening time. I replied to their demand and told them to look at their camera footage for proof that I hadn't stayed. They accepted this and withdrew their demand. So I guess it's always best to engage with any parking company despite how wronged you feel.

That's right, not making an initial appeal to the the company  might be a minus if it came to court, although it's best to use third person "the driver" instead of "I" as you would be admitting who the driver was, which you don't have to.