Gerrin Engaged .

9 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Vincent ,Vellocette , Vauxhall Victor and Velox .

My very first love Cuttsie.........

1957 Vauxhall Victor OUT-680..

Steering column gear change..

Saw some action did that car, before it rotted away.

2 minutes ago, Padders said:

Should have gotten a 101 estate, wouldn't have stopped the rot but would have given you more room :blush:.

3 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Should have gotten a 101 estate, wouldn't have stopped the rot but would have given you more room :blush:.

Wonderful thing is Hindsight.

17 minutes ago, Padders said:

I had one a shooting break, due tone ,go faster stripes .

Guest makapaka
On 05/12/2021 at 19:27, cuttsie said:

At one time lads and lasses started cooorting , You know they met one neet ont Manor Top or at a youth club ont Parsons Cross.

As time went on they saw less and less of their old school mates , this was due to being in love wi Mick or Mavis and knee trembling int entry.

The entry's in them days all had a hot spot , the hot spot was where the inside fire place was , this  meant that the warmth from the fire came straight through the entry wall and created the hot spot at a level where  next weeks weshing was worn.

This ritual went on for a few months or in some cases years , until one neet after a couple of pints of Stooooneses best bitter beer the fateful words were uttered in that entry in the hope that the roll on would at last roll off .

"Lets get engaged". 

It some times worked but in most cases getting engaged was like getting a bike for thi birthday and not being able to ride til Christmas (times change don't they) .

Any way she would utter the freeetening words "Thal have to ask mi dad" '

This asking the dad was usually done in the pub or club after tha had bought the old fellow a pint or two.

Straight out wi it, "Can me and your Doris or Sue ger engaged "

So dad looks at you , tears fill his eyes and he says " no" "tha can't" , just for a laugh. then after a couple more pints you are the best pals ever .

A couple of Saturdays later its bugger the football match , ( never missed one for years you ampt ) and down Town you go to H Samuals the peoples jeweller .

A look in the shop window , you pointing out the bottom trays  while her eyes are on the top row . in the end you go in and the sales lass takes over , the two of them start trying on the display holding the sparkly up to the light oohing and cooing until the one that fits like a glove and is from the top row is decided upon . 

You start to think about sending your motor bike back as this will flatten the bank and you will have to start working all day Saturday for weeks on end , so no football , no motor bike and from now on you will  have to roll on riding that bike you got for Christmas while she starts filling the bottom drawer wi cutlery , tea services , bath towels and pots and pans.

Then the whole plan goes tits up . due to the heat in the entry one winters neet when the roll on is ditched for the first time,   A couple of months later all the plans for a white wedding at St Aidens wi a week in Blackpool to follow are a distant dream as you stand shivering in the register office , Her side is tutting and giving your side dirty looks , your mates are all giving you the thumbs up and that two piece suit your belovered  is wearing will not zip up reight due to her being just little bit on the plump side .

Brilliant

Those old Vauxhalls were stylish but terrible rot boxes. My dad had an Victor (FB I think) which was a rotter. My mates dads HB Viva was even worse, it had duct tape along the top of the front wings to prevent rainwater spraying off the front tyres and onto the windscreen! Mind you, most cars round us seemed to have a panel or wheel arch in red oxide.