Gerrin Engaged .

At one time lads and lasses started cooorting , You know they met one neet ont Manor Top or at a youth club ont Parsons Cross.

As time went on they saw less and less of their old school mates , this was due to being in love wi Mick or Mavis and knee trembling int entry.

The entry's in them days all had a hot spot , the hot spot was where the inside fire place was , this  meant that the warmth from the fire came straight through the entry wall and created the hot spot at a level where  next weeks weshing was worn.

This ritual went on for a few months or in some cases years , until one neet after a couple of pints of Stooooneses best bitter beer the fateful words were uttered in that entry in the hope that the roll on would at last roll off .

"Lets get engaged". 

It some times worked but in most cases getting engaged was like getting a bike for thi birthday and not being able to ride til Christmas (times change don't they) .

Any way she would utter the freeetening words "Thal have to ask mi dad" '

This asking the dad was usually done in the pub or club after tha had bought the old fellow a pint or two.

Straight out wi it, "Can me and your Doris or Sue ger engaged "

So dad looks at you , tears fill his eyes and he says " no" "tha can't" , just for a laugh. then after a couple more pints you are the best pals ever .

A couple of Saturdays later its bugger the football match , ( never missed one for years you ampt ) and down Town you go to H Samuals the peoples jeweller .

A look in the shop window , you pointing out the bottom trays  while her eyes are on the top row . in the end you go in and the sales lass takes over , the two of them start trying on the display holding the sparkly up to the light oohing and cooing until the one that fits like a glove and is from the top row is decided upon . 

You start to think about sending your motor bike back as this will flatten the bank and you will have to start working all day Saturday for weeks on end , so no football , no motor bike and from now on you will  have to roll on riding that bike you got for Christmas while she starts filling the bottom drawer wi cutlery , tea services , bath towels and pots and pans.

Then the whole plan goes tits up . due to the heat in the entry one winters neet when the roll on is ditched for the first time,   A couple of months later all the plans for a white wedding at St Aidens wi a week in Blackpool to follow are a distant dream as you stand shivering in the register office , Her side is tutting and giving your side dirty looks , your mates are all giving you the thumbs up and that two piece suit your belovered  is wearing will not zip up reight due to her being just little bit on the plump side .

Edited by cuttsie

What a wonderful way you have with words cuttsie .  You should consider writing a book on life in Yorkshire.! 

14 hours ago, cuttsie said:

At one time lads and lasses started cooorting , You know they met one neet ont Manor Top or at a youth club ont Parsons Cross.

As time went on they saw less and less of their old school mates , this was due to being in love wi Mick or Mavis and knee trembling int entry.

The entry's in them days all had a hot spot , the hot spot was where the inside fire place was , this  meant that the warmth from the fire came straight through the entry wall and created the hot spot at a level where  next weeks weshing was worn.

This ritual went on for a few months or in some cases years , until one neet after a couple of pints of Stooooneses best bitter beer the fateful words were uttered in that entry in the hope that the roll on would at last roll off .

"Lets get engaged". 

It some times worked but in most cases getting engaged was like getting a bike for thi birthday and not being able to ride til Christmas (times change don't they) .

Any way she would utter the freeetening words "Thal have to ask mi dad" '

This asking the dad was usually done in the pub or club after tha had bought the old fellow a pint or two.

Straight out wi it, "Can me and your Doris or Sue ger engaged "

So dad looks at you , tears fill his eyes and he says " no" "tha can't" , just for a laugh. then after a couple more pints you are the best pals ever .

A couple of Saturdays later its bugger the football match , ( never missed one for years you ampt ) and down Town you go to H Samuals the peoples jeweller .

A look in the shop window , you pointing out the bottom trays  while her eyes are on the top row . in the end you go in and the sales lass takes over , the two of them start trying on the display holding the sparkly up to the light oohing and cooing until the one that fits like a glove and is from the top row is decided upon . 

You start to think about sending your motor bike back as this will flatten the bank and you will have to start working all day Saturday for weeks on end , so no football , no motor bike and from now on you will  have to roll on riding that bike you got for Christmas while she starts filling the bottom drawer wi cutlery , tea services , bath towels and pots and pans.

Then the whole plan goes tits up . due to the heat in the entry one winters neet when the roll on is ditched for the first time,   A couple of months later all the plans for a white wedding at St Aidens wi a week in Blackpool to follow are a distant dream as you stand shivering in the register office , Her side is tutting and giving your side dirty looks , your mates are all giving you the thumbs up and that two piece suit your belovered  is wearing will not zip up reight due to her being just little bit on the plump side .

Thanks Cuttsie, keep 'em coming!

Cuttsie speaks for a generation of us working class lads that went, more or less, thru the same ritual in 50s Sheffield.

The long walk home from the pictures, the favorite entry, or gennel if it wasn't raining. Sometimes some funny noises in the nearby darkness,  Oh, christ, a peeping Tom? Then the longer walk home, whistling, and even singing, if "the stars had aligned",  Samuels to seal the deal, the proud Dad in the pub, proud  because he tells his mates you had a steady job, and even a useful trade. The worry about late periods before the wedding.

Then the Registry Office, a little house party with a three tier cake, the bottom one was sometimes plastic, but you couldn't tell.

Then the payoff. You can legally share a bed. No more stand up sex, and no long walks home in the rain.

She makes your packin up sandwiches for work, with a little treat, maybe an apple, maybe a Penguin bar.

Everybody now treats you differently. You have become a man!

Edited by trastrick

Ah! those magic words

"lets get engaged"

& your reply -

"HOW MANY MONTHS" :blush:

Get rid of the motorbike  - Never - fit a sidecar for the bairn, bring em up right :banana:

Happy Daze - Double adult sidecars, tents and camping at the coast 8).

Keep safe out there 🧐

Edited by Rockers rule
-

6 hours ago, pattricia said:

What a wonderful way you have with words cuttsie .  You should consider writing a book on life in Yorkshire.! 

I have tried Pat , but the publishing houses want proper type written script .

that takes me to long . So its on here ,just hope its readable as my English and spelling are crap .

Just thought I once had a play performed on radio Sheffield never heard it since , the actors could not do the South Yorks accent reeeight , so it disappointed me .

59 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Thanks Cuttsie, keep 'em coming!

Cuttsie speaks for a generation of us working class lads that went, more or less, thru the same ritual in 50s Sheffield.

The long walk home from the pictures, the favorite entry, or gennel if it wasn't raining. Sometimes some funny noises in the nearby darkness,  Oh, christ, a peeping Tom? Then the longer walk home, whistling, and even singing if "the stars had aligned",  Samuels to seal the deal, the proud Dad in the pub, proud  because he tells his mates you had a steady job, and even a useful trade. The worry about late periods before the wedding.

Then the Registry Office, a little house party with a three tier cake, the bottom one was sometimes plastic, but you couldn't tell.

Then the payoff. You can legally share a bed. No more stand up sex, and no long walks home in the rain.

She makes your packin up sandwiches for work, with a little treat, maybe an apple, maybe a Penguin bar.

Everybody now treats you differently. You have become a man!

**** on . man bird on .

Edited by cuttsie
can't say man bird

31 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Ah! those magic words

"lets get engaged"

& your reply -

"HOW MANY MONTHS" :blush:

Get rid of the motorbike  - Never - fit a sidecar for the bairn, bring em up right :banana:

Happy Daze - Double adult sidecars, tents and camping at the coast 8).

Keep safe out there 🧐

I made the local motor bike shops rich , they welcomed  me with open arms , they knew that soon they would get their bike back and keep my deposit .

Come on cuttsie let’s have some more posts from you in the Yorkshire accent please !

1 hour ago, cuttsie said:

I made the local motor bike shops rich , they welcomed  me with open arms , they knew that soon they would get their bike back and keep my deposit .

Bike shops :suspect: ?

HP :suspect: ?

When there were,  Post office Billy's for £5 :bigsmile:,

C15's for £15 :bigsmile::bigsmile:,

&

A10's for £50 :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile: :thumbsup:.

Happy Daze 8).

See the source image

Edited by Rockers rule
-

Rockers rule, are you secretly Ogri? 😂

Matchless 500 twins £99 -and a shilling , Greys on Bridge Street , At sixteen you could take out a  thousand CC  Velocette black panther and ride it straight to Royal Infirmary . If you got that far that is 

1 hour ago, pattricia said:

Come on cuttsie let’s have some more posts from you in the Yorkshire accent please !

Exactly.....makes really good reading....and brings back memories. 

51 minutes ago, Meltman said:

Exactly.....makes really good reading....and brings back memories. 

Yes,I love the Yorkshire accent. When my youngest son who lives in Sheffield phones his elder brother who works in Washington DC, the office is full of Americans. When his younger brother leaves him a message, the American co- workers tell his elder brother “ Your brother phoned up from Sheffield and left a message, but sorry we couldn t understand a word he was saying ! “