Is The Human Race Doomed?

27 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Except we are the only creatures as far as we know able to appreciate the wonder of it all, ruminate about it and contemplate its significance.  

I believe that's important for some reason.

Perhaps our ability to contemplate and divide things up conceptually, and so to see ourselves as somehow special and separate from the rest of nature, goes some way to explaining our destructive ways?

As regards other creatures, my feeling is Dolphins, Elephants, etc etc, exhibit a pure and holistic kind of awareness that we humans generally don't.

We're able to appreciate the wonder of it all, but surely that includes, to appreciate the destructive consequences of our own actions. Forgive the crude analogy, but it's a bit like letting someone in to an art gallery, who then proceeds to wipe poop all over the beautiful art works. I'm not sure the gallery owner would be impressed.

I'm full of Christmas spirit this year!

9 hours ago, Waldo said:

Perhaps our ability to contemplate and divide things up conceptually, and so to see ourselves as somehow special and separate from the rest of nature, goes some way to explaining our destructive ways?

As regards other creatures, my feeling is Dolphins, Elephants, etc etc, exhibit a pure and holistic kind of awareness that we humans generally don't.

We're able to appreciate the wonder of it all, but surely that includes, to appreciate the destructive consequences of our own actions. Forgive the crude analogy, but it's a bit like letting someone in to an art gallery, who then proceeds to wipe poop all over the beautiful art works. I'm not sure the gallery owner would be impressed.

I think you're right in that we have become separate and removed from nature, and profoundly arrogant to boot.

Some  see themselves as almost godlike and entitled to take what they want (more than their fair share) with no consideration for others or the planet. 

I think we're back yet again to the division in society between those that genuinely care, and those that don't.

5 hours ago, Anna B said:

I think you're right in that we have become separate and removed from nature, and profoundly arrogant to boot.

Some  see themselves as almost godlike and entitled to take what they want (more than their fair share) with no consideration for others or the planet. 

I think we're back yet again to the division in society between those that genuinely care, and those that don't.

This arrogant attitude we have to other species stems from religion which tells us God created this planet for our benefit and created all the other species for our convenience. Religion works by telling people what they want to hear and made humans believe he created us in his image, so we're all human manifestations of God. We became separated from the natural world when we evolved into modern humans. The most plausible explanation I've heard for our evolution is that it was probably a chance encounter between tribes of particularly intelligent apes who passed their intelligence on to their offspring and this eventually led to the appearance of the first hominids, which slowly led to the appearance of modern humans. We're an evolutionary blip who were never part of nature's grand plan and are now waging war on the natural world instead of being part of it.

5 hours ago, despritdan said:

This arrogant attitude we have to other species stems from religion which tells us God created this planet for our benefit and created all the other species for our convenience. Religion works by telling people what they want to hear and made humans believe he created us in his image, so we're all human manifestations of God. We became separated from the natural world when we evolved into modern humans. The most plausible explanation I've heard for our evolution is that it was probably a chance encounter between tribes of particularly intelligent apes who passed their intelligence on to their offspring and this eventually led to the appearance of the first hominids, which slowly led to the appearance of modern humans. We're an evolutionary blip who were never part of nature's grand plan and are now waging war on the natural world instead of being part of it.

Indeed you may well be right, but please don't confuse religion with spirituality. Religion is man made and very flawed, full of contradictions and holes. And just plain wrong in many instances.

However spirituality is different and something I believe we all have, whether we tap into it or not. You don't need a church or a temple to wonder at the enormity of it all and ask 'why am I here,' what does it all mean, or what is the right thing to do?'

Edited by Anna B

58 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Indeed you may well be right, but please don't confuse religion with spirituality. Religion is man made and very flawed, full of contradictions and holes. And just plain wrong in many instances.

However spirituality is different and something I believe we all have, whether we tap into it or not. You don't need a church or a temple to wonder at the enormity of it all and ask 'why am I here,' what does it all mean, or what is the right thing to do?'

Important questions I agree, but then how do you find those answers?

Surely some religions, or at least the Abrahamic ones, fundamentally focus on this type of questioning.

You could also use your view of "spiritual search" but then it doesn't really answer anything.

8 minutes ago, Mr Fisk said:

Important questions I agree, but then how do you find those answers?

Surely some religions, or at least the Abrahamic ones, fundamentally focus on this type of questioning.

You could also use your view of "spiritual search" but then it doesn't really answer anything.

If we knew the answers there would be no need for religions. I think they began as discussion groups talking about these things which then morphed into religions, which in my view are now man-made power trips, full of ritual with formulaic answers, which suppress inquiry into difficult questions.

But let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater, they also promote community and belonging and that's a good thing. Many are trying not to be so divisive, and do some very good work.  I would not discourage anyone who finds comfort and security in them from attending. It's not all bad by any means.

Personally I would reccommend Meditation. It's not easy, but get into the zone and it can be wonderful. IMO It can form a personal relationship between you and your 'God/self' if you strive for these answers.

In my experience the answer is usually simple but can be very difficult - Just Love.