Bus Timetable Changes From 2nd January 2022

4 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

If a bus is not used, it does not need a driver resulting in a decrease daily on the amount of drivers needed. The remaining drivers can then be redeployed at times when they are more use. Not rocket science.

Struggle to think how a 2-4hr reduction can save a full drivers duty and require less drivers. All this is doing is reducing the amount of buses on the road to save on costs - while being blamed on driver shortages.

Most of the reductions take place between 7-9pm, apart from some such as the 75/76 which run right the way through.

Poor excuse, next! 

Dutch Interesting that on the video it is a labour candidate complaining about a Labour council and  labour mayor (although true Dan has sat on his backside and done nothing)

To be honest I don't think the council does a bad job in keeping the bus routes open when it snows - not perfect true and lets not forget that the drivers may have difficulty getting to the depot at 05.00am after a dollop of snow . The issues about the quality of service are far more deep routed

Edited by BigAl1

1 hour ago, Michael_N said:

Struggle to think how a 2-4hr reduction can save a full drivers duty and require less drivers. All this is doing is reducing the amount of buses on the road to save on costs - while being blamed on driver shortages.

Most of the reductions take place between 7-9pm, apart from some such as the 75/76 which run right the way through.

Poor excuse, next! 

Because a driver doesn't run one bus, one route for 8hrs straight. They LEGALLY need to take breaks & and on hourly routes the vehicle/driver used on the 1900 run isn't necessarily the same vehicle/driver as the 2000 run. 

With respect Michael, you don't have a clue on how the system works. I have an inkling as I know some drivers & have gleaned some knowledge, so to call it a poor excuse and your use of 'next' is beyond idiotic. 

I'll put the same question to you as I did with lawro;

Do you have a driving licence & passed your test more than 6 months ago? If so why not give it a go?

4 hours ago, Resident said:

Because a driver doesn't run one bus, one route for 8hrs straight. They LEGALLY need to take breaks & and on hourly routes the vehicle/driver used on the 1900 run isn't necessarily the same vehicle/driver as the 2000 run. 

With respect Michael, you don't have a clue on how the system works. I have an inkling as I know some drivers & have gleaned some knowledge, so to call it a poor excuse and your use of 'next' is beyond idiotic. 

I'll put the same question to you as I did with lawro;

Do you have a driving licence & passed your test more than 6 months ago? If so why not give it a go?

So in short, you have no clue either? :hihi:

Btw drivers on domestic hours, which local services run under - can drive for 5:30hrs per half, before requiring a 30 minute break. This can be done for 10hrs per day.

The reductions to the evening services are nothing more than cost cutting and do little, if anything to save on driver resource. 

Like I said previously, next! 

Anyone who turns up randomly hoping for an evening bus without checking the times first is an idiot anyway. 

Checking the times is one thing but that does not mean the bus will run

23 minutes ago, Michael_N said:

So in short, you have no clue either? :hihi:

Btw drivers on domestic hours, which local services run under - can drive for 5:30hrs per half, before requiring a 30 minute break. This can be done for 10hrs per day.

The reductions to the evening services are nothing more than cost cutting and do little, if anything to save on driver resource. 

Like I said previously, next! 

I have a very big clue

It doesn't matter which hours drivers are under, Dom or EU, if there aren't enought to cover the mileage then it's either change the schedule to compensate or randomly cancel services. The former being the better choice as passengers can be told in advance.

All bus companies, country-wide are haemoraging drivers, some due to 'nature wastage' (drivers retiring or medically discharged) but mostly because they're moving to other, better paid jobs such as HGV. 

It can take upto 12 weeks to train a driver and the bus companies have finite numbers of instructors to do this with Not all inductees sucessfully pass their test first time so that adds further time.

At present the loss of drivers exceeds the capability of training depts ability to replace them.

As previously stated, if you think you know, then go put that into practice and apply at one of the operators, instead of hiding in your parents spare room acting like a prepubescent child. 

It is a continuing saga.  Less reliability, punctuality and frequency lead to greater passenger uncertainty and they are less inclined to use the buses.  Then because people are not using the buses there are further plans to reduce services.  These problems are not all to do with a shortage of drivers, they have been around for years as the City's bus service degenerates into a peak time service only.  There has to be a better alternative to this continuous cycle of 'changes' announced every few months.

9 minutes ago, lawro said:

It is a continuing saga.  Less reliability, punctuality and frequency lead to greater passenger uncertainty and they are less inclined to use the buses.  Then because people are not using the buses there are further plans to reduce services.  These problems are not all to do with a shortage of drivers, they have been around for years as the City's bus service degenerates into a peak time service only.  There has to be a better alternative to this continuous cycle of 'changes' announced every few months.

well said. Could not survive though just as a peak time operation 

Don’t forget the Mayor was going to do great things for the buses but unfortunately that report is gathering dust.

2 hours ago, Resident said:

I have a very big clue

It doesn't matter which hours drivers are under, Dom or EU, if there aren't enought to cover the mileage then it's either change the schedule to compensate or randomly cancel services. The former being the better choice as passengers can be told in advance.

All bus companies, country-wide are haemoraging drivers, some due to 'nature wastage' (drivers retiring or medically discharged) but mostly because they're moving to other, better paid jobs such as HGV. 

It can take upto 12 weeks to train a driver and the bus companies have finite numbers of instructors to do this with Not all inductees sucessfully pass their test first time so that adds further time.

At present the loss of drivers exceeds the capability of training depts ability to replace them.

As previously stated, if you think you know, then go put that into practice and apply at one of the operators, instead of hiding in your parents spare room acting like a prepubescent child. 

Please do share, as this is quite entertaining. Also, I’d be less quick to make judgements on things/people you have no knowledge over.

Now to grab the popcorn :hihi:

6 hours ago, BigAl1 said:

Checking the times is one thing but that does not mean the bus will run

I know you prefer to just go and wait.

https://bustimes.org/map#14/53.381/-1.47

Now this is not the golden solution cause not all buses GPS function properly.

But it does help locate most of them.