Car Advice Wanted

I am in the middle of a dillema, what to do!,it involves my present well loved motor and the chance of obtaining possesion ofĀ Ā an immaculate three year old 4WD Mercedes with only 22,000 miles on the clock!.I know its history from new ,it is mettalic black and a beauty !.My present car is also a Mercedes E Class that is twenty years old and in very good condition and well sorted 110,000 on the clock,everyone who sees it asks if its for sale,the trouble is it drives like new and I love it!.Any thing it needs ,parts ,servicing it gets, it is cleaned weekly polished, I have never liked a car as much,I have seperate winter wheels and tyres,my wife says I,m a fool if I let the new one go as the price is very good!.But its not as easy as that as the time gets closer I,m more reluctant to commit,I wonder has anybody out there ever had a problem like this,all the motors I,ve had over the years and I,ve had a few I never gave a backward glance when I got rid,what should I do hang on to the E Class or go for the new car!.Ā 

Ā 

I've got a 11Ā year old e class with 52k on the clock. I've had almost 7 years and it's by far the best car I've ever had. It's had the system analyser plugged into it at main dealers and not a thing wrong with it. I'll keep it till it dies.

Ā 

My friend bought a GLE 2015 about 60k on the clock and had nothing but trouble with it. Mercedes had to put a new gearbox in and still had issues.Ā  After a year she took the car back to the dealers and they gave her her money back. She then bought a 67 plate GLC and guess what, a few problems with that too, although not as many as the GLE. My opinion is that the modern Mercs are too complicated for their own good and in many instances,Ā  only the main dealer can fix them which can be very expensive.Ā Ā 

Ā 

My advice would be stick with what you know, you can't go wrong... Do you really need the big 4x4 with probably higher insurance and servicing costs? The tyres will cost more, everything will cost more, including Road tax.Ā 

Ā 

I'd also be asking why the price is so good on the new one... how does it compare with similar aged models with similar mileage..Hmmmm I'd be very cautious if its just too cheap... especially after the issues my friend had.Ā  Your old Merc will probably last another 10 years if looked after.

Ā 

Only my opinion...Ā 

Edited by bungleboy69

Hi bungleyboy 69 the new motor I know ,its my son in laws he has had it on a hire scheme and times up,so its exchange for a new one or buy it !.Thats why the price is favourable,the issues your friend had is what I have been thinking of,my car has had all problems sorted so now its just wear and tear and running costs,what to do?.

If you bought this bargain 4X4 Merc, do you have an option to park the old E class up in a secure garage-just in case?Ā  If the new Merc gives you a headache you could then always go back to the old Merc. Then sell the new Merc and not lose too much on it as you got it at such a good price, and it will still probably be quite low milage.

Keep the old one and drive it till the wheels fall off .

Alright asking meĀ :suspect:.

I'd keep both, and buy something cheaper as well for a runaboutĀ :blush:.

Ā 

Ā 

Prices on used cars are crazy right now.

Ā 

If you are in the position to buy something at a good discountĀ then sell your current car, you should see a healthy return.Ā 

Ā 

It's also worth checking what the value of the catalysts, some cars you might think are worth peanuts run around with over a grands worth of value just in those parts.

Edited by geared

Buy and sell the new one?

On 03/12/2021 at 18:20, old tup said:

Hi bungleyboy 69 the new motor I know ,its my son in laws he has had it on a hire scheme and times up,so its exchange for a new one or buy it !.Thats why the price is favourable,the issues your friend had is what I have been thinking of,my car has had all problems sorted so now its just wear and tear and running costs,what to do?.

Have you driven it much?

Ā 

I was givenĀ a brand new Volvo XC40 T3 as a courtesy car for a couple of days last week.
Ā 

Now Iā€™m a saloon/fastback man, never really liked SUVs (Iā€™ve drivenĀ a few as hire cars/loans over the years, Jeep / Toyota / BMW IIRC).

Ā 

Ā But I was ready and willing to be convinced, because weĀ need to change the 14 year-old RHD C class 220cdiĀ on 130kmiles, that weā€™ve had and caredĀ for 9 years now,Ā for ā€˜somethingā€™ LHD and manual wherebyĀ the kid can start to learn to drive (canā€™t have kid learning with my Jag, sorry kid šŸ˜†). And the Mrs and the kid liked it - of course.

Ā 

Now that XC40 was horrible. Horrible to drive, grossly under-powered, too large, yet too light (esp. steering), counter-intuitive controls, etc. Couldnā€™t wait to hand it back.

Ā 

So,Ā aside from the excellent suggestions above about the money/value side of the deal, my Ā£0.02 would be: get a (bit longer than a-) good spin in it, to make sure that ā€œitā€™s really for youā€.

Edited by L00b

I have a Ā last model Landrover Freelander XS TD4 2.2 (Dec 2013), itā€™s the perfect vehicle for me, as a Rheumatoid Arthritis sufferer I need to be able to slide in and out of the driverā€™s seat, which I can. What I donā€™t need is three rows of seats as Ā standard in the only credible alternative,Ā the Discovery, my car is immaculate, well maintained and worth a couple of grand more than I paid for it two years ago, Iā€™m sort of happy to be ā€˜trappedā€™ in owning it, however if FreelandersĀ were still being manufactured I might find myself with a similar dilemma to the OP.

I have a 8 year old Zafira(108,000 miles) and I like it.

A few months ago me and my sister were talking about what we would do if we got a windfall of cash.

You could buy yourself a nice car she said, I already have one, I replied.

Buy yourself a cheap private number plate for Ā£400, then no one would know how old your car is, you could tell them its new.