Cruelty To Children

The irony is that it will be down to social workers (generally reviled by the British public) to support the girl with the emotional fallout caused by the police (generally lauded by the British public)

Reading the report in the paper today, it's shocking. really shocking.

There are so many things in the world - incidents like this, policing in the USA, the treatment of anti-war protestors in Russia, the repression of Hong Kong - that show that rather than hand more power to those who already have it, we should be working to take more power away from them. When they tell us they need extra powers, our default response should be to refuse.

7 hours ago, Delbow said:

The irony is that it will be down to social workers (generally reviled by the British public) to support the girl with the emotional fallout caused by the police (generally lauded by the British public)

Social workers are usually reviled for good reason. As for the police, they aren't lauded where live. There's real animosity towards them from some people. 

4 hours ago, Delbow said:

There are so many things in the world - incidents like this, policing in the USA, the treatment of anti-war protestors in Russia, the repression of Hong Kong - that show that rather than hand more power to those who already have it, we should be working to take more power away from them. When they tell us they need extra powers, our default response should be to refuse.

Absolutely bang on đź‘Źđź‘Źđź‘Ź

19 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Social workers are usually reviled for good reason. As for the police, they aren't lauded where live. There's real animosity towards them from some people. 

That's because people only get an insight into what they do when things go wrong. I regularly get to see when they do things well, but most people never get to find out about that.

59 minutes ago, Delbow said:

That's because people only get an insight into what they do when things go wrong. I regularly get to see when they do things well, but most people never get to find out about that.

There's probably a lot of truth in that. Unfortunately social services don't do themselves any favors either. Too many paper qualifications at the expense of basic common sense and there are too many social workers who are past it,, not interested in anything other than their pay packet and then some who are just plain nasty.

And let's not forget the social workers AND police who ignored and sometimes even facilitated the mass grooming of little kids.

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

Very true.

10 years ago there was a brilliant 3 part documentary about the job role of social workers, on the BBC I think.

It was a million miles away from the trashy and exploitative freak shows that pass for documentaries these days - it was informative, non sensationalist and passed no judgement.

BBC Two - Protecting Our Children - Episode guide

Incidentally, according to the Equalities Minister, Kemi Badenoch, the fact that people are outraged at the poor girls treatment shows that people in this country care about minorities.

Insert face palm emoji

On 16/03/2022 at 11:35, Delbow said:

I think this hints at the single biggest problem human society faces.

Too much power focused in the hands of too few people. Also, those attracted to positions of power, tend to be the least fit to have power (they’re more interested in improving conditions for themselves, rather than for the rest of us).

Edited by Waldo

57 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I think this hints at the single biggest problem human society faces.

Too much power focused in the hands of too few people. Also, those attracted to positions of power, tend to be the least fit to have power (they’re more interested in improving conditions for themselves, rather than for the rest of us).

Very true. Add this to Men With Guns, and you've probably got about 85% of the world's problems right there.

On 20/02/2022 at 01:16, Anna B said:

I'm so sorry. It just shouldn't happen, but I fear it does far too often and there seems to be no sense behind it.

I'm glad your friend has managed to rise above it and not only survived but thrived. I appreciate though that nor all children have that fortitude.

Correct “Anna B” not all children growing up in care have that fortitude it’s sad to say...

Since around 1978-79 when rules in Children Homes were changed allowing children in care to direct themselves it has brought nothing but destruction for many of those children from the dates I have mentioned above....

Many are now drug and alcoholics living on our streets trying to make sense of what happened in there childhood....

If they only knew how strong they could be they need to learn to turn the hurt,hate and loss of not having a family into positive actions my friend I told you about says his childhood and what he went through drives him and has stated that he has learned the hard way and realised that he has no one to fall back on unlike families who can fall back on each other when times get hard.,,,,

So he has to make sure that he doesn’t live a reckless life and not give in to peer pressure or any other kinds of pressure....

My friend tracked down a lovely woman who worked at the children’s home that he was placed in 1974 and she told him before she died  in 2014 and I quote...

“It is much harder to stay on the bike than it is to fall off it”....

It’s a very true statement indeed.....

Edited by Box11

On 16/03/2022 at 17:05, The_DADDY said:

There's probably a lot of truth in that. Unfortunately social services don't do themselves any favors either. Too many paper qualifications at the expense of basic common sense and there are too many social workers who are past it,, not interested in anything other than their pay packet and then some who are just plain nasty.

And let's not forget the social workers AND police who ignored and sometimes even facilitated the mass grooming of little kids.

Correct “The_DADDY”....

Children in care had no voice at all even when it was clear they weren’t happy in the situation they were put in !!!..

Social Services have a lot to answer for they have ruined many children whilst in their care !!!...