Cruelty To Children

13 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Someone that looked 'underfed' could be healthy than many obese children.

we got it wrong then .

7 minutes ago, sibon said:

One of the problems is that recruitment is very difficult. 

Maybe retraining and improved supervision would be a better way forward. 

@hackey lad  , applies to your reply too.

Wrong thread mate. The hatred of poor black people thread is over there -->

This one is about  dreadful crime and poor performance by social care

When I said about losing jobs I meant those at the top , management ,  not those at the coal face 

It's not retraining its common sense,this woman had 4 kids taken off her,the one she has had numerous reports the little tot was ill treated,think it tells us something.

Edited by ukdobby

Guest sibon
59 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

When I said about losing jobs I meant those at the top , management ,  not those at the coal face 

You have more of a point there. But, even so, it is a terrifically difficult job. Whatever decision they take will be criticised by some.

I'm full of admiration for social workers in general. Imagine the toll that seeing the worst of humanity has on their well being.

The service does need to work better though. I'd suggest that they need to be told to remove more kids from families, at least temporarily, to establish facts earlier and with more certainty.

13 hours ago, sibon said:

Wrong thread mate. The hatred of poor black people thread is over there -->

This one is about  dreadful crime and poor performance by social care

Wow.....you're a racist

I was talking about men arriving illegally in the UK and the pressure it puts on our public services.

You comment on the colour of their skin 🤨

Guest sibon
33 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Wow.....you're a racist

I was talking about men arriving illegally in the UK and the pressure it puts on our public services.

You comment on the colour of their skin 🤨

I think we all know what you meant. There's no need to get all coy about your true intentions.

Now, back on topic. We would all love to read your considered opinions about this terrible case. 

23 hours ago, Magilla said:

Services stretched to breaking point, budgets slashed to the bone... it's inevitable.

Just waiting for "Lessons must be learned" to complete the picture. :(

I brlieve Boris just said that at which point I switched off.

On 03/12/2021 at 10:37, hackey lad said:

“Services stretched to breaking point, budgets slashed to the bone “ . Not political ok . Not interested in your petty stuff , I’m more concerned about the poor kids. Bye 

But funding to children's social care and other children's services, like all council services, has been reduced by the austerity programme launched in 2011/12 and continued by all governments since https://www.communitycare.co.uk/2019/11/11/making-social-care-priority/

You voted for that, I believe. Well done. All social care, both children and adults, is in a terrible state. There is nowhere near enough money, social work vacancies are really high, caseloads are therefore high which drives people from the profession and thus perpetuates the problem.

That's not to say that there isn't local variation - there is, and some children's social care departments perform a lot better than others.

Put bluntly - English people want to see children protected from harm (unsurprisingly) but don't want to pay for it (also unsurprisingly).

Edited by Delbow
The relevant social care department was Solihull, not Birmingham as I'd initially written

23 hours ago, crazyhorse said:

As a father of a couple of kids, this story makes me feel absolutely sick.

The parents should get a whole life tariff and never make it out of prison.

I also agree that services are stretched...my partner rushed from home visit to home visit when she worked for adult social care for a short while...

...but the point is that social workers did visit the poor kid and messed up...as did the police.

The parents simply pulled the wool over their eyes.

I don't understand why social workers do not err on the side of caution and take the kid away for a couple of nights so they can talk to the child away from the parents and in the presence of medical professionals and get a true picture.

Some may say social workers shouldn't be judgemental...but I say they absolutely should.

They should never trust the word of any parent where there is suspected abuse.

Even if it destroys the relationship with the clients.

The kid should always be their main concern...to hell with the parents.

There are too many social workers who tiptoe around these kinds of parents. It needs more mature social workers with life experience who know when they are being fed bull**** by these scumbags...backed up by watertight legal protection for acting strongly out of concern for the child.

Because they can't without an order from the court - the situation you describe would require an Interim Care Order. Social care departments apply for these regularly, but the legal threshold for the court to make an order is high - a local authority (it isn't just a social worker's decision, they need agreement from their manager and the Council's lawyer) can't just say to a judge 'we're not sure the child is safe, we need to remove them for a bit', the judge will criticise them for that. They need to show the judge that it is necessary to prevent significant harm, and the judge has to agree. Social workers get criticised all the time if they do apply for a care order, so they really can't win. Then there is the matter of where the child will be removed to - first preference is to other family members if that is safe, but if that's not possible then you're talking foster carers and there is a shortage of those.

23 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Not so long ago we  reported our concern about a family who's kids looked underfed and roamed the streets in scruffy clothes until late at night .  The response from the social workers , "Well they do have problems you know "

This would be very difficult to deal with, unless there was evidence of lawbreaking or cruelty?

It looks like in the recently reported case, all the signs were there, but due to COVID even going to court is difficult.

I am not sure if the problem that all of the country are suffering if down to COVID, or this mismanagement of reduced budgets.

There is even a shortage of taxi drivers, surely one of the easiest jobs to fill, they can even go independent with Uber.

Just seen she was pregnant again,what's up with people?she's  had 4 kids took off her,if there's a case to sterilize someone she's it.

25 minutes ago, ukdobby said:

Just seen she was pregnant again,what's up with people?she's  had 4 kids took off her,if there's a case to sterilize someone she's it.

Another poor child in the system