Nhs Medical Records Query.

Hello,

Just a query about the process.

Can NHS Hospital staff with the right privileges log into someone's medical records with the patients Name, DOB and Address?

Say if a patient is rushed in but the staff only have a driving licence as to whom the person is? 

After doing this and the details come up ie NHS Number etc can the staff member view GP records.

Say to check the medication the patient is on etc?

Thanks

Just now, West 77 said:

I should imagine so. You only need a name, DOB and address to book a covid vaccine. Knowing your NHS number isn't necessary.

Thanks.

In my experience, the problem is staff not checking records and making mistakes....

18 hours ago, dan_999uk said:

Summary Care Records can be accessed by staff with credentials to log onto the national spine web portal. They contain patient contact details, allergies, current and past medications and medical history from your GP record. 

They can be located using a minimum of surname, gender and date of birth.

Access to all computer records is recorded against the record and can be viewed and audited. 

Thanks.

Ok, someone better ask......why are you asking? 

Someone knew something about my medical history that I'd never told anyone. I wondered how easy it was for NHS staff just to access someone's data.

On 06/12/2021 at 12:45, SheffieldBricky said:

Thanks.

Do you know the code that will come up on a patients access report that shows this has happened, PDS PSIS DBS etc

Does it really matter though? I would have thought someones medical records would be of zero interest to anyone else and as boreing as watching paint drying,

14 hours ago, SheffieldBricky said:

Someone knew something about my medical history that I'd never told anyone. I wondered how easy it was for NHS staff just to access someone's data.

Easy.

Just like when I worked for a bank I could, in theory, check anyones details I wanted if I had basic details such as a name or address.

If you think someone who works in a medical establishment has accessed your records for no good reason, contact PALS and take it from there.

Edited by HeHasRisen

The query from the OP is a bit too cryptic to give any sort of sensible reply.

If they are suggesting that someone in NHS staff deliberately accessed their record without legitimate reason, to find out something untoward in their past, then they may have grounds for complaint.

However, if they are simply unhappy that some dark secret in their medical history has been discovered by an NHS staff in the course of their legitimate work, then there is little they can do. By their very nature, medical records, parts of them or specific extracts are disclosed and passed around different doctors, clinics and nurses all the time. They need such full information in order to sufficiently diagnose, prescribe and treat.

Whatever the circumstance, I suspect that as the majority of medical records are now computerised- any access from any staff members would leave a digital footprint in the metadata, which can be tracked.

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

The query from the OP is a bit too cryptic to give any sort of sensible reply.

If they are suggesting that someone in NHS staff deliberately accessed their record without legitimate reason, to find out something untoward in their past, then they may have grounds for complaint.

However, if they are simply unhappy that some dark secret in their medical history has been discovered by an NHS staff in the course of their legitimate work, then there is little they can do. By their very nature, medical records, parts of them or specific extracts are disclosed and passed around different doctors, clinics and nurses all the time. They need such full information in order to sufficiently diagnose, prescribe and treat.

Whatever the circumstance, I suspect that as the majority of medical records are now computerised- any access from any staff members would leave a digital footprint in the metadata, which can be tracked.

Only people involved with your care can view your records. It's actually a criminal offence.  The patient is entitled to compensation. The member of staff is sacked. I don't have any 'dark secrets' It's just wrong.

Former NHS employee guilty of snooping on patient records (digitalhealth.net)

2 hours ago, spilldig said:

Does it really matter though? I would have thought someones medical records would be of zero interest to anyone else and as boreing as watching paint drying,

What if they are dying and want to break it to family members at a later date. What if they used to be a drug addict or alcoholic and have now stopped? Would you really want someone nosing through all you conversations with doctors? What if you've had counselling and revealed your fears.

It's not actually me, but my girlfriend. It's just wrong.

Just now, SheffieldBricky said:

Only people involved with your care can view your records. It's actually a criminal offence.  The patient is entitled to compensation. The member of staff is sacked. 

Well, no, they would be subject to the disciplinary procedure, which MAY involve dismissal. In any case, the outcome would be nothing to do with the complainant, nor can the complainant demand a certain outcome,  and usually wouldnt even be communicated to them.

Edited by HeHasRisen

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

Well, no, they would be subject to the disciplinary procedure, which MAY involve dismissal. In any case, the outcome would be nothing to do with the complainant, and usually wouldnt even be communicated to them.

Try google. The NHS has to pay compensation. It's a criminal offence which bars working for the NHS.

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Well, no, they would be subject to the disciplinary procedure, which MAY involve dismissal. In any case, the outcome would be nothing to do with the complainant, and usually wouldnt even be communicated to them.

Nurse sacked for breaching patient confidentiality - BBC News