Get Mi A Football From Club Book Mam.

Club book , Brian Mills , Littlewoods , Janet Frazer and so on .

When we wanted owt, the whole family would crowd around club book .

My old Ma ran one ,Brian Mills , If she sold enough stuff then she got a bit of divy to spend against a new frock or a pair of shoes .

Our mob on the Crescent kitted our selves out wi new suites , shirts , tools , bikes , radio's and so on .

If you needed it it was in the book , no deposit just two or three bob a week and you was sorted .

My first coooat on leaving school (so as I could look lairy stood ont Manor top  ) was  a powder blue one wi flecks in it , finger tip length .

Violet Brown from Fretson Road ont Manor said I looked smashing in it , made my day that did and it was all down tut club book .

Then there was the undies section , fancy knickers wi suspenders , lads and lasses posing in pants ,bra's and corsets , us young uni could only look at that section when us mam weren't looking it was the nearest thing to a mucky book we ever saw .

My mam got me a cricket bat from Brian Mills , A three springer English willow it was . Our first game ont field behind our house , Mick Beaty across road borrowed my new bat , up run our Alan and balled to him , Mick swung the bat hit the ball for a six and split my new bat straight down middle . I roored for a week ,

Edited by cuttsie

Twas Kays catalogue in our house. Spring/summer was crap, Autumn/winter had the toys in for Christmas. Us kids would turn straight to the back pages and lust after stuff we probably weren’t going to get like a Raleigh Chopper. You could even buy air rifles and shotguns though god knows how they verified if you could legally own them. Yeah sneak peek at the underwear section but for some unknown reason mucky books were the occasional fruit of some bushes in Cat Lane woods and the Docker 😂

Forgot Kays , but not Cat Lane Woods , you could walk from Town end through woodland all the way to Heeley ,

I could give you the location of Mucky Book Bridge but I’m keeping it to my self 😀

Got my mother to order me some George Best Stylo Matchmaker football boots from hers, It was either Grattan or Trafford, I remember having to sell all my Subbuteo collection in The Star £5 and under to get her to order me a pair of Oxford bags for £4.99 when I started getting my own clothes other than 'hand me downs', as for mucky mags 'sneakily' acquired a decent collection from our local paper shop and swapped them all for an air rifle, all while still at school, happy day's!

For us it was Littlewoods. A twenty bob item would cost a bob a week for 21 weeks. Not too bad considering ma got some kind of credit on all the orders she could drum up.

But what I remember vividly  was the cheap tack they sold.

What looked to be a real football was a plastic facsimile, the Newmark watch lasted 2 days, and never got to wear the cool crew neck sweater, with raglan sleeves, to school to wow the lasses, like Cuttsie. It went in the posher wi' all't other clewers,  and came out shrunk. (Can't  blame Littlewoods for that, though)

(There were 3 woods, between Gleadless and Heeley,  Cat lane, mostly bushes, Far Lees, tall trees, and Rollin nicest walk of the lot, with Mountain Ash and those lush red berries. In those days you could find elderberries for the peashooter, both kinds of chestnuts, and hazlenuts. - but I digress)

Edited by trastrick

Ordered a Amstrad music centre from Kays as a teenager. The speakers were made of quarter inch chipboard which is not actually a real thing and the rest of it was plastic thinner than a birds egg. Sound quality on a par with a transistor radio in a biscuit tin. Got sent straight back. Another company was Great Universal IIRC.

Amstrad was owned by Alan Sugar and whilst he struts about with his airs & graces, Amstrad went bust under him.

Thanks to you guys for creating a lovely nostalgia in me because we obviously, all lived the same lives and shared these common experiences in the 40's 50's and 60's.

Most would say I'm daft but I would go back to those days in a heartbeat .

And yes, I know there was diphtheria etc, but I never caught it and anyway, there was no Covid.

22 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Thanks to you guys for creating a lovely nostalgia in me because we obviously, all lived the same lives and shared these common experiences in the 40's 50's and 60's.

Most would say I'm daft but I would go back to those days in a heartbeat .

And yes, I know there was diphtheria etc, but I never caught it and anyway, there was no Covid.

And vegetarians no bleedin vegetarians  in pink trousers .

I remember buying my first Dansette record player from a club catalogue. This then, caused me to spend loads of money on pop records.

At least, we had the satisfaction of listening to some really brilliant music, Unlike all the banging and shouting of most of todays music.

Throughout my childhood, we had  a wind up gramophone like His Master's Voice although I don't remember a horn on it. The needles were like small nails and every record crackled.

Our next door neighbours were fans of Joseph Locke and used to play The Soldiers Dream at full volume. Still love that song myself. That may be to do with the nostalgia I mentioned.

Come back Glenn Miller, Johnny Ray, Bill Haley, Tommy Steele and The Platters among many others.