New City Centre Park

Apparently, subject to approval, there is going to be a new city centre park planned for next year. It will be called Pounds Park and it will be located on the former site of the fire station  between Carver Street and Rockingham Street.

This is the proposed layout. I think having a park in the centre is a good idea. The area has been much improved from the Charter Sq that housed the Grovesnor Hotel and Roundabout, now there is a nice restaurant, and pedestrianised seating  area that's nice in the Summer. 

At the moment it looks like a new building is being erected at the bottom of Carver Street - not sure if it's office space or residential.....

Pound's Park: Plans For New Sheffield City Centre Park Revealed • The  Sheffield Guide

Edited by Mister M

Me neither 

There was a tour round the old B and C Co Op ,it was revolutionary at the time modelled in a Sears in Chicago.

She pointed out the brick work in the loading bay  saying that quality of work pretty much will never be used today.

I

2 hours ago, Mister M said:

I think having a park in the centre is a good idea. The area has been much improved from the Charter Sq that housed the Grovesnor Hotel and Roundabout, now there is a nice restaurant, and pedestrianised seating  area that's nice in the Summer. 

Totally agree. We often sit in the terraced area you mention. The planting here is truly inspired so more of that would be very welcome.

I suppose that what with the anticipated high residential expectation of the CC, more of this type of re-use is to be expected. I would like to know what discussion has taken place between the council and the police relative to safety issues.

Can I be the first dissenter?

Love the inner City Park plans, and have mentioned before how impressed we were with how the Furnival Gate landscaping looked.

But   - Yep there has to be a But.  Just who is the target for this new park?

Shoppers off the Moor or West Street, people with family's, office workers or just people already in the town centre?

Why would you trapes up or to this new park? 

Shoppers on the Moor are already catered for seating wise if they need a rest.

The Peace Gardens cater for the same and families with kids already have the water feature there.

So again who is the target market for this park?

Crookesey has mentioned anticipated high residential expectation for the City Centre, (unless your talking housing refugees in hotels) (Controversial :heyhey:) the truth is this type of town living is rarely family orientated and more likely to be young professionals without children.

Therefore just who are 'the Families' that are going to be attracted to this new inner City park? ones that will no doubt have a Park nearer to where they live already?

Can't see my Mam or any older person doing 'a bit of shopping' on't Moor then making their way up behind Charter row for a 'sit down'. 

The New Bus interchange is interesting. Just which buss's are actually going to make this 'Park' part of their route?

No, I'm not being entirely negative, I wish the new venture well, just don't understand who the new park is aimed at.

'Cycling' gets a mention, should be nice come summer, families, Shoppers and Lycra wearing Cyclist's (& Skate boarders) all sharing one space in perfect harmony :banana:

Keep safe 8)

25 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Can I be the first dissenter?

Love the inner City Park plans, and have mentioned before how impressed we were with how the Furnival Gate landscaping looked.

But   - Yep there has to be a But.  Just who is the target for this new park?

Shoppers off the Moor or West Street, people with family's, office workers or just people already in the town centre?

Why would you trapes up or to this new park? 

Shoppers on the Moor are already catered for seating wise if they need a rest.

The Peace Gardens cater for the same and families with kids already have the water feature there.

So again who is the target market for this park?

Crookesey has mentioned anticipated high residential expectation for the City Centre, (unless your talking housing refugees in hotels) (Controversial :heyhey:) the truth is this type of town living is rarely family orientated and more likely to be young professionals without children.

Therefore just who are 'the Families' that are going to be attracted to this new inner City park? ones that will no doubt have a Park nearer to where they live already?

Can't see my Mam or any older person doing 'a bit of shopping' on't Moor then making their way up behind Charter row for a 'sit down'. 

The New Bus interchange is interesting. Just which buss's are actually going to make this 'Park' part of their route?

No, I'm not being entirely negative, I wish the new venture well, just don't understand who the new park is aimed at.

'Cycling' gets a mention, should be nice come summer, families, Shoppers and Lycra wearing Cyclist's (& Skate boarders) all sharing one space in perfect harmony :banana:

Keep safe 8)

DRUGGIES, WINOS, BEGGARS and all the other scumbags

1 minute ago, jonnythefox said:

DRUGGIES, WINOS, BEGGARS and all the other scumbags

Oh well, it keeps them off the thoroughfares, and then you can know in advance where to avoid.

:roll:

I like this bit from the bumph.

Modern lighting and facilities will help create a space that is safe and usable well into the evenings.

After that its a free for all :suspect: 🙃.

9 minutes ago, bassett one said:

we cannot maintain the parks we already have, why add costs

I fully agree with that.

Our Parks used to be beautifully kept but are now a disgrace and not fit to use.

It's fine having a lovely City centre (if that ever happens) but we would like where we live to look respectable too and that includes ALL our parks. 

Our council are as bad as the government for spending all out money centrally.

We, and thousands like us, never go to the city centre. When we did, it was for the shops which have mostly gone, and we will never go to sit in a park when we all have one nearer.

It's fine to look after visitors but what about the residents too?