Dwelling Clearance Charges. Scam Or Not?

Hello. 

Just wanted to ask some opinions and advices.

In 2015 I have moved in into council flat that was managed by ACIS group. I changed job and moved to Warwick now. The property was inspected before we moved and we got clear and honest advice from man that Acis have sent in to look at the property state.

I had good carpets in hallway and room, yet he advised to get them out as we may get charged for removal later. Following his advice, we have removed EVERYTHING. I literally left the property in a state that was better than I have arrived.

Now, nearly 3 months after vacating the flat, I get letter asking me to pay £95 of "Dwelling Clearance".

Almost immediately I have sent email asking for explanation, list of things removed and photo evidence of things they had to remove, as on my end - I have the pictures of the state of flat we left at, literally taken 5-10 minutes before we left the flat and dropped keys at Acis agency.

Anyone knows what's all about and if its even legal?

Sounds like a standard fee that most won't question. Check your contract.

I doubt they will fight much if you question it and its not in your original paperwork.

14 minutes ago, dan2802 said:

Sounds like a standard fee that most won't question. Check your contract.

I doubt they will fight much if you question it and its not in your original paperwork.

i agree with that,give them nowt

2 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Tell them to take you to court.

I agree with this reply. Also I would tell them that you are going to contact Trading Standards.

I'd just wait for their reply first, then ask for a copy of the inspector's report if they are being evasive.

It could have been a mistake on their part, just respond in a calm and polite way and get to the bottom of why they should be sending you an invoice when you have satisfied all your responsibilities. No need to mention any court.

Thanks for advices peeps.

Honestly I did not even think taking them to court. This mainly caught me by surprise. I looked after the place. Smart meters was installed, rooms wallpapered, smart thermostats etc. I spent close to £2.5k on renovation as when I moved in, place looked terrible (except kitchen and bathroom). I did intended to live there for long time and I was in same area where my parents lived which made whole thing very convenient. But this just caught me by surprise. I was sure to remove everything and cant really comprehend what could possibly they charge £95 for. I'm still waiting for their response. Once I get something - I'll update the thread.

Is this £95 they're taking from your deposit or £95 they're asking you to pay to them?

If it's the latter then what you've already done should be sufficient.

11 hours ago, geared said:

Is this £95 they're taking from your deposit or £95 they're asking you to pay to them?

If it's the latter then what you've already done should be sufficient.

it was council property so there was no deposit I had to pay at all.

I presume you didn't make any errors when filling in the Tenancy Termination Form, and any improvements you made to the property were approved by the landlord.

7 minutes ago, carosio said:

I presume you didn't make any errors when filling in the Tenancy Termination Form, and any improvements you made to the property were approved by the landlord.

Good question. I wallpapered the rooms since it was bare walls with crumbled paint, holes and cracked plaster. So I called them confirm that I only wallpaper so it would at least would not look like drug den. Once I moved in I actually called them several times of the things I can or cannot do, as well as people  knocking on the door demanding money I owe, drugs that sell and even made a hole in bathroom window with a crossbow, oh, there was also knife "stab" like mark on the door which they promptly resolved by replacing the door (god I was anxious of who was living in that flat before me). they pretty much told me as long as I'm not taking any walls down and it just minor decoration to hide imperfections of the rooms it will be ok. And I had Inspectors coming over to check the flat, check electricity, gas etc. Noone ever said anything negative apart that they like the way flat looks like.

oh and also, I paid rent full 30 days notice till 16 September, but moved out and handed in keys on 03 of September, being fair to them throughout.