What Do Users Do When Battery Fails On Samsung Phone?

When I bought a Samsung phone new, I specifically selected the S5. This was because  the S5 was the last one whereby you could simply replace the battery yourself.

From the S6 onwards it was apparently not possible to replace the battery yourself. I do genuinely wonder what owners of the S6 onwards do. Presumably the phone shops have them over a barrel so to speak. ££££. I would be interested to hear what owners of the later Samsung phones have been doing, and if they have found a workaround. There must be thousands out there.

Take it to Carphone Warehouse; if you ask very nicely, and parts are available*, they'll usually repair your phone.

They replaced the battery in a Samsung S7 earlier this year, even though the phone wasn't purchased from them.

You will have to ask nicely though; they refused to repair the phone at first, because the phone was not purchased from them but as I'm a returning customer (let's face it everybody's bought something from Curry's at some point in their lives . . .) they took pity on me.

Note that the phone had to sent away for the battery replacement, which took a couple of weeks (!)

It cost around £40.

*Trouble with the S6 is, it's even older than the S7 and new / genuine batteries may not be easily available.

There are some good explanitory videos on youtube on changing the battery on an S6, but I wouldn't attempt it unless you have the confidence and skill.

I bought a battery for my S6 (£6) but haven't got round to fitting it yet as the old one is still hanging on.

I'd be surprised if there weren't someone in Sheffield who fit smart phone batteries (assuming Curry's/Carphone Warehouse won't do it).

Edited by carosio

I would be more concerned about how old the Android build is and security around app and web usage.

23 hours ago, S1 1DJ said:

I would be more concerned about how old the Android build is and security around app and web usage.

@S1 1DJ

A bit off topic but I do understand what you mean. The point you make is a valid one. I am still using the S5 and the updates ended a while back. I am running on Android version 6.0.1. 

I'm thinking about another phone. I like the S5 I have had for 4 years but realistically I need to look for a more up to date one.

Is very important for software to be updated, and preferably if you're using an old phone the apps you use at least receive updates, even though the phone doesn't. A cheap new Android phone maybe a lot more cost effective than buying a battery. We use mobile device as more and more for personal use than previously imagined, try and keep hardware and software relatively up-to-date!

On 21/12/2021 at 23:06, S1 1DJ said:

Is very important for software to be updated, and preferably if you're using an old phone the apps you use at least receive updates, even though the phone doesn't. A cheap new Android phone maybe a lot more cost effective than buying a battery. We use mobile device as more and more for personal use than previously imagined, try and keep hardware and software relatively up-to-date!

This (IMO) is the biggest flaw in Android phones. I understand that there are many models and CPUs etc. I think that, if they wanted to, they could find some common ground on all models.

I've always bought my own phone. They are usually high spec, and cost quite a lot. I also look after them very well. My S8 looks as good as the day it was bought. But the updates stopped just over 12 months after purchase. Maybe a bit of paranoia on my part, but when it's the main device for mobile banking, I want it as secure as possible. I've mentioned in other posts that I'm not a fanboy of any company. I think that Android OS works very well, the update path is terrible. I ended up with an iPhone purely based on this. I gave my mum my old iPhone 7 and that's still getting updates (not sure for how long) A shame really as Android does give much more freedom over IOS. There are 'legit' ways round it, but most people don't want to faff about with it.

I think that a minimum 5 year software update wouldn't be a big ask on any electronics that use any type of OS. That list should include phones, tablets TV's etc. I know people have contracts and don't care as they just get a new device. Not all people that buy their own can run to buying new because software updates stop after a year or two. I seem to remember reading that Samsung are 'maybe' giving longer support...I should think so for phones that can cost upwards of £1000! (Nice phones though)

Indeed, that's why why I now only own Google Pixel devices and swapped my Android tablet for Chromebook which has years of support.

On 24/12/2021 at 12:23, S1 1DJ said:

Indeed, that's why why I now only own Google Pixel devices and swapped my Android tablet for Chromebook which has years of support.

So, do Pixel devices keep getting updates? For how long? I've seen them but never taken much notice. They don't look bad and seem to have excellent hardware (on some)

Might be an option when my Samsung bites the dust!

Edited by zach

Perhaps it is time to consider a greener alternative. My 1+ 3T was fading so I decided to get an 'un-Googled' phone from the e.foundation. Haven't looked back. How many phones are made completely of recycled materials, including the phone protector? And how many smart phones can you take the back off and replace the battery or a damaged module - you get a mini-philips screw driver so if your camera module gets damaged you just replace it with a new one!

https://e.foundation/

You also get an e.email address, plus 1 Gb of free cloud storage. You don't need to purchase a new charger to help the environment as you can use your old USB C charger. And it has an SDHC slot so you can expand the standard 64 Gb with a maximum of 256 Gb SDHC card. 

https://ibb.co/album/4mgdvP

What I like about their App Store is that each App has a Security and Privacy rating - very useful. I have also been able to install F-Droid without any issues either and able to install some games that normally appear on Linux.

Edited by swarfendor437

On 26/12/2021 at 15:41, zach said:

So, do Pixel devices keep getting updates? For how long? I've seen them but never taken much notice. They don't look bad and seem to have excellent hardware (on some)

Might be an option when my Samsung bites the dust!

You get about 3 years of OS updates and 5 years of security. I've stuck with Google since the launch of Nexus devices and not looked back as I prefer Android stock with regular updates for OS and security. Other makers of Android  devices are justified piecemeal for me and uncertain with updates.

Current updates for Pixel phone: 

https://support.google.com/pixelphone//4457705?hl=en-GB#zippy=%2Cpixel-and-pixel-pro-phones%2Cpixel-a-a-xl-xl-a-a-g-and-a-g

Edited by S1 1DJ

Fairphone 3+ is Android 10 without the Google - great for me and Magic Earth (Maps) is far superior to Google Maps.