How Do We Lower Our Carbon Footprint?

12 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Yeah, that's what I meant. I reckon every big supermarket should have a section devoted to these.

The footfall in supermarkets would probably mean they had to be filled up at least once a day, probably more. 

It's a nice idea but I doubt in this time of Covid any sort of blanket shared dispensing of loose and unpackaged food it very feasible.  So many rules and regulations have changed for retailers since the old 'Scoop and Save' days.

Also having looked at some of the disgusting, filthy, unwashed people walking around my local supermarket I'm not convinced I would fully trust some of these dispensers.  People I've seen wont even use the provided tongs to pick up loose bread rolls. That's before they start fondling 20 or 30 different pieces of fruit before picking up the one they want to buy.  Then just the cap it off you see them at the Checkout munching away on half of the goods they've chosen to buy clutching empty wrappers ready to be scanned...

I have no problems with things being packaged I think the focus should be on what they are packaged in. There are so many alternatives now such as vegware cardboard, recycled metals or glass which can be used other than the default option of cheap plastics. 

Also there should be thought about how things are packaged - by simply putting things into a single piece of packaging rather than multiple layers as I have found recently. Example on a basic pack of biscuits which was a plastic wrapped,  plastic tray, put into cardboard box,  with a separate cardboard branding sleeve.

Edited by ECCOnoob

First thing you do is round up all the jet setting celeb and political hypocrites  of COP26.

Put them on a strict carbon diet.

Sell off the Vatican, and buy a nice flat in Nether Edge for the Pope.

You can worry about putting a brick  in your toilet tank later, if necessary!

Do you wanna save the planet, or doncha?

Lol

I'll never forget Emma Thompson joining the climate protest in London and then flew first class to New York the next day.  🤣

37 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Yeah, that's what I meant. I reckon every big supermarket should have a section devoted  to these, selling a lot more than just sweets. 

The footfall in supermarkets would probably mean they had to be filled up at least once a day, probably more, so no chance of staleness. People could take their own containers, and the supermarket could supply paper bags or returnable glass bottles for those that forget.

With the deepest respect Anna, I would doubt, if not hope even one of those containers would need refilling on a daily basis.

The Obesity level in children (sweet lovers) would be through the roof if that was so.

Keep safe 8)

32 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

It's a nice idea but I doubt in this time of Covid any sort of blanket shared dispensing of loose and unpackaged food it very feasible.  So many rules and regulations have changed for retailers since the old 'Scoop and Save' days.

Also having looked at some of the disgusting, filthy, unwashed people walking around my local supermarket I'm not convinced I would fully trust some of these dispensers.  People I've seen wont even use the provided tongs to pick up loose bread rolls. That's before they start fondling 20 or 30 different pieces of fruit before picking up the one they want to buy.  Then just the cap it off you see them at the Checkout munching away on half of the goods they've chosen to buy clutching empty wrappers ready to be scanned...

I have no problems with things being packaged I think the focus should be on what they are packaged in. There are so many alternatives now such as vegware cardboard, recycled metals or glass which can be used other than the default option of cheap plastics. 

Also there should be thought about how things are packaged - by simply putting things into a single piece of packaging rather than multiple layers as I have found recently. Example on a basic pack of biscuits which was a plastic wrapped,  plastic tray, put into cardboard box,  with a separate cardboard branding sleeve.

More or less spot on ECCO.

Not sure about the 'you pick it up - you buy it' scenario. 

Mr Grocer puts out a sub standard product, It no longer matters what the Customer 'Wants to buy'.

He's now Got to have the first one he touches :suspect:.

Keep safe out there 8)

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

Good idea. I still don't know the real reason Sheffield Council cut down all those beautiful trees. Disgraceful.

Why do you think?

Because it was economically advantageous for Amey to cut down mature trees that require a lot of ongoing maintenance, and replace them with young saplings that require less maintenance . . . or just not bother replanting any more trees and save on maintenance costs full stop.

Was it that hard to work out ?

3 hours ago, The Joker said:

Why do you think?

Because it was economically advantageous for Amey to cut down mature trees that require a lot of ongoing maintenance, and replace them with young saplings that require less maintenance . . . or just not bother replanting any more trees and save on maintenance costs full stop.

Was it that hard to work out ?

It always seems to come down to the money doesn't it.... Some people haven't got enough, while other people can never have too much. 

Councils shouldn't be put in this position, where they have to cut down beautiful trees that could save the planet just to save a bit of cash. Yet others can pollute the planet with abandon in their private jets because they've got £billions.. But sadly it's the way of the world and probably will be until the last tree is gone.

On 27/11/2021 at 13:25, HumbleNarrator said:

I'll never forget Emma Thompson joining the climate protest in London and then flew first class to New York the next day.  🤣

Or the likes of tv presenter, Michaela Strachan's who has strong opinions on the climate crisis, yet she will turn up at the drop of a hat to present programmes in the UK, (mainly for the BBC these days, despite them also pushing the climate change agenda, so the BBC is as much at fault as Strachan is!), by flying in from her home in South Africa. 

I was reading about her a few weeks ago & clearly the topic of her carbon footprint has been raised to the extent that she felt the need to comment on it.  Her explanation was along the lines of (paraphrasing), 'Well the jetting around the world is not ideal but there's not a lot I can do about it at present as there's no alternative.... I do however pay money to an eco trust that goes some way to  off-set my carbon footprint."   No doubt they plant a tiny sapling somewhere on her behalf? 

Strachan joins the long list of other 'celebrity' hypocrites who tell you that you should be reducing your carbon footprint, while maintaining their lifestyles.  Of course, yours & my carbon footprints will probably be at least half as low already when compared to that of 'celebrities', yet we're made to feel guilty. 

The BBC of course, could play their part & find a UK based presenter for the likes of the next run of  'Spring / Summer / Autumn Watch',

12 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Or the likes of tv presenter, Michaela Strachan's who has strong opinions on the climate crisis, yet she will turn up at the drop of a hat to present programmes in the UK, (mainly for the BBC these days, despite them also pushing the climate change agenda, so the BBC is as much at fault as Strachan is!), by flying in from her home in South Africa. 

I was reading about her a few weeks ago & clearly the topic of her carbon footprint has been raised to the extent that she felt the need to comment on it.  Her explanation was along the lines of (paraphrasing), 'Well the jetting around the world is not ideal but there's not a lot I can do about it at present as there's no alternative.... I do however pay money to an eco trust that goes some way to  off-set my carbon footprint."   No doubt they plant a tiny sapling somewhere on her behalf? 

Strachan joins the long list of other 'celebrity' hypocrites who tell you that you should be reducing your carbon footprint, while maintaining their lifestyles.  Of course, yours & my carbon footprints will probably be at least half as low already when compared to that of 'celebrities', yet we're made to feel guilty. 

The BBC of course, could play their part & find a UK based presenter for the likes of the next run of  'Spring / Summer / Autumn Watch',

Sounds like your touting for the vacancy Baron :thumbsup:.

Best of luck, don't forget us little people  :heyhey:.