How Do We Lower Our Carbon Footprint?

We succeded in making people smoke fewer ciggarrettes and tabacco by hiking prices, we made people buy higher MPG cars by imposing 60%+ taxes on petrol and deisel.

So should we use the same statagy on domestic fuel and increase tax to 50%?

The UK has committed to reduce its greenhouse-gas emissions to net zero by 2050.

As part of this promise, the government has a target to cut emissions by 78% by 2035, compared with 1990 levels.

In the 1990s UK airports delt with around 4 million passengers per year, today one airport will fly over 50 million passengers, back to 1990 levels?

The route to low carbon domestic heating is air source heat pumps, but they currently start at around £8k. The government needs to give some good grants to tempt people to go for them which will mean that over time the costs come down. The route to reducing carbon from flying is not to fly, or fly very infrequently, which is easy enough

4 minutes ago, Delbow said:

The route to low carbon domestic heating is air source heat pumps, but they currently start at around £8k. The government needs to give some good grants to tempt people to go for them which will mean that over time the costs come down. The route to reducing carbon from flying is not to fly, or fly very infrequently, which is easy enough

Assuming that happens, how much more efficient is it, will it get us to net zero? I think not.

If not its plan B, a different type of heating or wooly hats by 2050

I don't know much about them - some sites say it's about reducing your reliance on fossil fuels, which suggests that at this point they're maybe not a straight swap?  Like other technology, they are likely to get more efficient though. Solar panel tech moved on considerably from the early days, as did wind turbines, as has battery life for EVs - the more people buy these things, the cheaper they get and the more research goes into improving them.

55 minutes ago, El Cid said:

We succeded in making people smoke fewer ciggarrettes and tabacco by hiking prices, we made people buy higher MPG cars by imposing 60%+ taxes on petrol and deisel.

So should we use the same statagy on domestic fuel and increase tax to 50%?

The UK has committed to reduce its greenhouse-gas emissions to net zero by 2050.

As part of this promise, the government has a target to cut emissions by 78% by 2035, compared with 1990 levels.

In the 1990s UK airports delt with around 4 million passengers per year, today one airport will fly over 50 million passengers, back to 1990 levels?

Which airport has 50 million passengers ?

We as in the human race? 

Easy. We nuke China, India and Pakistan. 

We as in the UK? 

No idea but I'm sure it will mean more tax and much much more inconvenience. 

Why is it always the ordinary people who have to suffer?

Let's ban hugely polluting and uneconomic private jets, and then the well heeled can share in the eco misery.

Edited by Anna B

6 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Why is it always the ordinary people who have to suffer?

Let's ban hugely polluting and uneconomic private jets, and then the well heeled can share in the eco misery.

Whilst we are at it we can ban ego trip rocket launches too. 

Are you listening Jeff and Rick? 

Oh and Elon too. 

Edited by The_DADDY
I'm thick

2 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Don't buy anything in packaging.

That's my blow up bride gone for a Burton then 😭

7 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

That's my blow up bride gone for a Burton then 😭

Hmmm... :huh:

I really hope you mean 'inflatable', Mr Daddy! :o