Small Package From Usa Costs

I'm considering buying a set of piston rings from USA, so small package. Amazon price £40 incuding shipping to UK.

Rang Royal Mail Customer Services but after 30 mins gave up. I know I would have to pay VAT (probably not customs duties) but when, where and to whom would I pay, and would they also cop me for the £8 admin charge?

Edited by carosio
capitals

For items sent through the post, Royal Mail pay HMRC any import VAT and Customs Duty on your behalf. This ensures you receive your item as quickly as possible.

We'll then send you a Fee to pay card. This shows how much you need to pay before you can receive your item. The amount will include our £8 handling fee.

https://www.royalmail.com/receiving-mail/pay-a-fee

Thanks, beginning to look as though there's no advantage over buying the item here.

I have bought quite a few things from the USA over the years, although not for three or four years now...I found that quite a few of the low ( sub £100) value items just arrive without any hassle or extra cost, I did though ask for items to be sent by the official US Postal Service who have an agreement with Royal Mail...if they were sent via UPS they would add their own handling charge.

Edited by sadbrewer

22 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

I have bought quite a few things from the USA over the years, although not for three or four years now...I found that quite a few of the low ( sub £100) value items just arrive without any hassle or extra cost, I did though ask for items to be sent by the official US Postal Service who have an agreement with Royal Mail...if they were sent via UPS they would add their own handling charge.

I have found for the last couple of years things from America and China are just not arriving fullstop. I want a piece of electronic gear that is manufactured in America. I used to be able to get them from shops here that had them in stock but they can't get them either , or the cheaper Chinese versions for that matter.

I once bought a t-shirt for sons birthday from the US. T-shirt was £40, shipping was something like £15 and then there was a Royal Mail handling fee of £15.

Never again.

I think customs charges start at £135 (including shipping). I thought Royal Mail charges £8 handling fee.