Madness Access To St James Retail Park

6 hours ago, bassett one said:

re-st james today,the queue backed up nearly to the island,leaving some cars stuck in a lane to go forward,inside lane not letting them in,a mess,the road leading in needs widening ,so 2 lanes can go forward,

Doesn't make sense.

Coming from Meadowhead roundabout to the turn into St James there are two lanes to go forward along the ring road and then one short right turn lane for the last 30 yards or so into the retail park. 

What do you call the "inside lane"?  I think all drivers I know would also refer to it as the left hand lane.

Edited by Longcol

17 hours ago, abbeyedges said:

I long for the days when the top of Meadowhead roundabout was known as 'four lane ends' controlled by traffic lights or a police officer directing traffic. Brocklehurst's garage was  a major landmark.

Lowedges was still being built. Batemoor and Jordanthorpe were open fields. No Dronfield by-pass and the the road to the Nags Head, (a traditional pub and not a branded Toby) was single carriageway. 

I think I'm turning into an old fart. 

Make that two of us.

11 hours ago, Longcol said:

Doesn't make sense.

Coming from Meadowhead roundabout to the turn into St James there are two lanes to go forward along the ring road and then one short right turn lane for the last 30 yards or so into the retail park. 

What do you call the "inside lane"?  I think all drivers I know would also refer to it as the left hand lane.

how it worked and does so on many occasions,we will put it this way,you leave the island in 2 lanes,then filter to turn right as you say approx 30 yards from the entrance ,still leaving 2 lanes open,but when its busy what happens is the short right turn is full,leading to cars wanting to turn right blocking the 2nd lane,leaving some cars trying to get out of that lane as they want to proceed forward,and leaving only the inside lane moving forward,the right turn lane needs extending by using the middle grass,but then theres the big public crossing in the way.its a mess and the more it gets used the worse it gets.i hope you now understand me

total free for all today,huge queue to get in and then it was really madness,cars going in all directions,lots of nearly collisions ,its going to happen one day?,big changes needed asap

That T junction along with the pedestrian crossings immediately on that junction is totally the issue. If you are wanting to turn right for M&S and Aldi then you have three blockers - cars coming from the left exiting, cars coming from the right exiting (failure to indicate), cars turning left but held up by constant stream of pedestrians crossing. In turn when it is busy this blocks all the way back to issues described at the entrance.

The better traffic flows in shopping centres actually have very few cars travelling across the front of shops. They fill in from the back but St James forces cars to the front and then backwards. 

Heeley Retail Park fills the same way but that is dictated by the slope leading in. Kilner Way similar. Not the same issue at St James, just badly designed traffic flow.

Sort out the flow in the car park and the entry in will sort itself out.

Edited by MobileB

i agree ,its a mess and the nearer xmas it gets ,it becomes worse,but talking to various members of staff in the shops,it appears the bosses have said they never expected it to be so busy