Madness Access To St James Retail Park

29 minutes ago, carosio said:

Slightly off the main topic, but the Council have given the go-ahead for a new retail park on Penistone Rd opposite the Wednesday ground, as if that section wasn't already congested, notwithstanding the plethora of shops/retail parks already in the area.

Isn't that more of a trade centre, with the exception of Costa and Aldi?

25 minutes ago, Michael_N said:

Isn't that more of a trade centre, with the exception of Costa and Aldi?

You're right, although I guess it's (potentially) going to add to existing congestion, especially at 'rush hour' which now seems to extend to large parts of the day.

so some think it will be okay to increase meadowhead traffic by up to 3-4 thousand cars for events and its okay? theres got to be a plan or it will be a mess

Regarding St James’s, as a previous poster has said, the T junction on site is a problem and should have been a roundabout . Maybe the planners should have been told to sacrifice a unit to allow a one way system with traffic exiting on Dyche Lane. This would have also have removed the need for the traffic lights at the entrance which this stretch of road could well have done without. Drivers approaching from Meadowhead could just go to the next roundabout and back down the carriageway, no traffic lights needed.

18 hours ago, carosio said:

Slightly off the main topic, but the Council have given the go-ahead for a new retail park on Penistone Rd opposite the Wednesday ground, as if that section wasn't already congested, notwithstanding the plethora of shops/retail parks already in the area.

Yeah, not the smartest move in my book, but hey ho. Does go to show that Sheffield CC are far from anti-car when it comes to some of the approvals they let through the planning process.

I recall around 10 years ago every time you heard the 'the council are anti-car' argument, I had to laugh a bit; the council had just built Derek Dooley Way and 2-3 large multi-storey car parks in the city centre. But that didn't fit the hard-done-by motorist narrative that some people love.

17 hours ago, bassett one said:

so some think it will be okay to increase meadowhead traffic by up to 3-4 thousand cars for events and its okay? theres got to be a plan or it will be a mess

Who thinks that would be okay? I wouldn't build it there in the first place, that would be my plan for the local roads.

Edited by AndrewC

14 hours ago, Jim117 said:

Regarding St James’s, as a previous poster has said, the T junction on site is a problem and should have been a roundabout . 

Junctions are designed in accordance with Government guidance. The type of junction selected ( eg, give way, roundabout, traffic signals etc) is dependent on the traffic flows expected.

Traffic signals are more appropriate for heavy traffic situations. Roundabouts are ok in lighter traffic situations where flows on the approaches are fairly balanced. On roundabouts where there is a predominant, tidal, traffic flow on a particular approach/ approaches, drivers on other approaches can find it difficult to enter the roundabout. Traffic signals can manage those situations better.

what ever they decide about the entrance to the football/event ground it needs to work due to it being next to the meadowhead island,plus while they are doing it increase the feeder road to st james retail park,we cannot do with constant mistakes.

17 hours ago, Jim117 said:

Regarding St James’s, as a previous poster has said, the T junction on site is a problem and should have been a roundabout . Maybe the planners should have been told to sacrifice a unit to allow a one way system with traffic exiting on Dyche Lane. This would have also have removed the need for the traffic lights at the entrance which this stretch of road could well have done without. Drivers approaching from Meadowhead could just go to the next roundabout and back down the carriageway, no traffic lights needed.

And where does it go from there? Just disappears? Or in reality, fills Dyche Lane with cars, with traffic queing to turn right up Dyche Lane to the ring road traffic lights. Along with all the trucks making deliveries to the stores.

55 minutes ago, bassett one said:

what ever they decide about the entrance to the football/event ground it needs to work due to it being next to the meadowhead island,plus while they are doing it increase the feeder road to st james retail park,we cannot do with constant mistakes.

I think the mistake here might be in assuming that you can somehow continue to allow more and more developments, that bring more and more traffic, on an already congested road network, without there being any impact on traffic conditions.

And do you seriously think that the developers of a new stadium/event venue are going to pay significant sums to upgrade the access to a nearby  retail park?

9 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

I think the mistake here might be in assuming that you can somehow continue to allow more and more developments, that bring more and more traffic, on an already congested road network, without there being any impact on traffic conditions.

And do you seriously think that the developers of a new stadium/event venue are going to pay significant sums to upgrade the access to a nearby  retail park?

Hmmm... :huh:

I agree!

So, if nothing can be done to improve the already congested road network, then presumably the council planners will not be allowing this new development to happen? :suspect:

as far as i can gather ,apart from the planning permision its sorted

1 hour ago, bassett one said:

as far as i can gather ,apart from the planning permision its sorted

The planning permission is the thing which would stop it, and can be refused on traffic concerns I believe.