Madness Access To St James Retail Park

went yesterday ,the slip road over spilling onto the 2nd lane causing problems backing up to meadowhead,it needs sorting asap,ie a longer slip road into st james retail park,what do others think?

Its always like this. I had to nip to Pets At Home a few weeks ago, got to the Norton roundabout, saw the queue, and decided to nip through Lowedges and went to the Dronfield branch instead, probably quicker.

i agree ,but somthing needs doing as its a great shopping centre,but access needs sorting especially as the home of football is being built next year.

I have never had a problem, granted Norton Roundabout can be a bit of a challenge, but I suppose it depends on the time of your visit.

1 hour ago, bassett one said:

went yesterday ,the slip road over spilling onto the 2nd lane causing problems backing up to meadowhead,it needs sorting asap,ie a longer slip road into st james retail park,what do others think?

Its been badly designed from the outset. Same as Kilner Way retail park in North Sheffield.

From what I've seen it's also how traffic signals are timed at the access road and also Dyche Lane junction.

Those who design these systems cannot even think inside the box, let alone outside. Fortunately, they are not in these jobs long, as they get promoted well above their levels of incompetence

Edited by smithy266

Oh it's been crap right from day 1 there, whoever designed the juctions and the car park needs a good slap.

i think it was as normal,get as many in as possible,keep costs down as well,but the staff at the shops always say its been far more successfull than they ever thought,i wished it had been designed better and bigger

1 hour ago, Michael_N said:

Its been badly designed from the outset. Same as Kilner Way retail park in North Sheffield.

From what I've seen it's also how traffic signals are timed at the access road and also Dyche Lane junction.

1 hour ago, smithy266 said:

Those who design these systems cannot even think inside the box, let alone outside. Fortunately, they are not in these jobs long, as they get promoted well above their levels of incompetence

I'm interested to know exactly how much differently you'd design it? I mean, it's a pretty standard design - the only argument as per the OP is that you might make the right-turn lane longer to help keep the queue out of the two other lanes, but that would involve moving/changing the pedestrian crossing facilities there.

People often look at traffic and assume it must be the fault of design - and don't get me wrong, some designs aren't quite right - but it's hard to know what people expect when you build a retail park + 100s parking spaces just near an already congested roundabout/ring-road...

2 hours ago, smithy266 said:

What's your experience of traffic flow modelling and design of road and traffic control systems?

Using that knowledge, what specifically would you do differently?

Edited by Bargepole23

best way to sort this is move the main carriageway onto the road that runs alongside get rid of the line of grass verge and trees all the way along to the next roundabout. then have a double slip road in to the retail park. also part of the problem is the car parking is not big enough so have some extra parking  on the playing fields behind?

11 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

What's your experience of traffic flow modelling and design of road and traffic control systems?

Using that knowledge, what specifically would you do differently?

Hmmm... :huh:

You need no experience of traffic flow modelling to know when it's been done badly, but...

... you need a level of competence to ensure that these problems don't happen in the first place! :|