Smart Meter

Lowedges / Greenhil.   

Just had a visit from a British Gas rep  (I. D. Shown) informing me that we had to make an appointment to have a Smart meter fitted , as it was now  compulsory, told him he was wrong an it wasn't mandatory...didn't like that....

Anyway just a warning to all in this area as this man was quite overbearing bordering on intimidating. ...stand your ground he has no legal right to enter your home ( not that he asked to) 

A new tactic to get them installed well done you.

Energy companies are under pressure from the Government to hit targets for installing these so-called "smart meters", so neglect to tell users that it's their choice whether they have them or not in literature.  The letters about these meters have been ramping up recently as well.  The effect of this is that the unwary think it is mandatory and just let them install them.  This leads to more pressure on those who haven't got them.

A more insidious tactic is that employed by British Gas.  They partner up with others to do the pressurising of customers for them.  That way, they can't be held responsible for how these meters are pushed.  You can assume that they are on bonusses for each installation of course, so if someone overteps the mark/tells lies/pressure sells its not BG.

Extract from letter I received recently:

"We're working with a company.... who are visiting customers homes on our behalf to talk about the benefits of smart meters.  If you'd like to upgrade, they'll be able to book the appointment for a time that works for you".

Doesn't sound bad, but you can imagine the heavy-handed techniques possible by someone on a bonus standing there on your doorstep with no witnesses.....

The letter gives a phone number to talk to BG about  these visits, but when I tried it, I was told that for them to take my name off the list to be given to the company, I had to discuss it with a member of their Smart Meter Team.  They transferred me but, after a long wait, no-one was answering.  Three attempts at this at different times gave exactly the same results.  Either their team is overwhelmed by people arguing that they will not have smart meters, or they simply put people through to a phone that is never answered!  No address is given, or any other oportunity to record refusal of these devices.

1 hour ago, tuthill said:

Lowedges / Greenhil.   

Just had a visit from a British Gas rep  (I. D. Shown) informing me that we had to make an appointment to have a Smart meter fitted , as it was now  compulsory, told him he was wrong an it wasn't mandatory...didn't like that....

Anyway just a warning to all in this area as this man was quite overbearing bordering on intimidating. ...stand your ground he has no legal right to enter your home ( not that he asked to) 

I'd suggest that the next person who sees someone like this should note down his name and details, and report it to your local councillor.  He/She could gather evidence and would probably be more able to put pressure on BG to stop this practice

14 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Energy companies are under pressure from the Government to hit targets for installing these so-called "smart meters", so neglect to tell users that it's their choice whether they have them or not in literature.  The letters about these meters have been ramping up recently as well.  The effect of this is that the unwary think it is mandatory and just let them install them.  This leads to more pressure on those who haven't got them.

A more insidious tactic is that employed by British Gas.  They partner up with others to do the pressurising of customers for them.  That way, they can't be held responsible for how these meters are pushed.  You can assume that they are on bonusses for each installation of course, so if someone overteps the mark/tells lies/pressure sells its not BG.

Extract from letter I received recently:

"We're working with a company.... who are visiting customers homes on our behalf to talk about the benefits of smart meters.  If you'd like to upgrade, they'll be able to book the appointment for a time that works for you".

Doesn't sound bad, but you can imagine the heavy-handed techniques possible by someone on a bonus standing there on your doorstep with no witnesses.....

The letter gives a phone number to talk to BG about  these visits, but when I tried it, I was told that for them to take my name off the list to be given to the company, I had to discuss it with a member of their Smart Meter Team.  They transferred me but, after a long wait, no-one was answering.  Three attempts at this at different times gave exactly the same results.  Either their team is overwhelmed by people arguing that they will not have smart meters, or they simply put people through to a phone that is never answered!  No address is given, or any other oportunity to record refusal of these devices.

I'd suggest that the next person who sees someone like this should note down his name and details, and report it to your local councillor.  He/She could gather evidence and would probably be more able to put pressure on BG to stop this practice

And/or film them on the doorstop then stick the vid up on facebook/youtube, that's a good way of getting these dodgy tactics into the public debate.

1 hour ago, tuthill said:

Lowedges / Greenhil.   

ID could have been faked, sounds like someone trying to get into your house to rob it.

1 minute ago, onewheeldave said:

And/or film them on the doorstop then stick the vid up on facebook/youtube, that's a good way of getting these dodgy tactics into the public debate.

Agreed - but difficult to do, unless the likes of Watchdog or similar programme gets involved.  Even then BG would simply wash their hands of it, and the individual gets the grief, not the 3rd party company or energy supplier.

By the way,I didnt name the company, as I suspect they issue short contracts to a number of them, promising more to the one producing best results

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

ID could have been faked, sounds like someone trying to get into your house to rob it.

worth checking with BG

If you haven't got one don't bother . I am with Eon half the time they don't bother reading it ,even sent someone round to check the reading last month

7 hours ago, lobster said:

If you haven't got one don't bother . I am with Eon half the time they don't bother reading it ,even sent someone round to check the reading last month

Same here. It's nearly always estimated and always by more so I have to ring them up after reading it myself.

I'm in favour of smart meters in principle, because they ought to make it easier to save money and energy and so forth.   But I'm not an early adopter and there still seem to be issues with current models.

Smart meters are not compulsory.   

There are lots of scams and fake British Gas emails out there, as well as fake salespeople.  

If you see someone's ID, don't just accept it, ring British Gas and check it with them.

9 minutes ago, Dannyno said:

I'm in favour of smart meters in principle, because they ought to make it easier to save money and energy and so forth.   But I'm not an early adopter and there still seem to be issues with current models.

There are lots of scams and fake British Gas emails out there, as well as fake salespeople.  

If you see someone's ID, don't just accept it, ring British Gas and check it with them.

According to Martin Lewis, who was not a fan, a lot of the old problems with smart meters (like it being difficult to change suppliers etc) have now been resolved, so get one if you want one.

Edited by Anna B

Just now, Anna B said:

According to Martin Lewis, who was not a fan, a lot of the old problems with smart meters (like it being difficult to change suppliers etc) have now been resolved, and get one if you want one.

Thanks, I'll take another look.

45 minutes ago, Dannyno said:

Hmmm... :huh:

It amuses me when people think a Smart meter will save them money.

In what way do you expect it to do that? :suspect:

It's not going to automatically switch your TV off the minute the adverts come on in the middle of Corrie.

It's not going to stop you from boiling a full kettle of water for just your morning cuppa.

And if you need something to tell you that you've left a light on, then it's not a Smart meter you need...

... it's a visit to the opticians! :cool: