Smart Meter

3 hours ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

Maybe you've got one of the OCD type? :hihi:

It must be wonderful to be all knowing like you.

18 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

It must be wonderful to be all knowing like you.

Well, it's certainly not something I would recommend for everyone...

... with great knowledge comes great responsibility! ;)

2 hours ago, Mr Bloke said:

Modest with it also.

2 hours ago, Mr Bloke said:

So get that "Cinematographic Masterpiece" updated, It's well past It's sell by date.

I don't have a smart meter, as I don't even have a key for the meter cupboard for my half of the apartment building I live in. I'm not allowed a key to access my own meter due to 'health and safety' which is silly.

Anyway, I gave up chasing the building management company to give me a monthly reading as it was a PITA, so I've not given a reading now for over three years. I get an email asking for me for a reading once a quarter, but they've never actually tried to physically take one. A smart meter would solve this nonsense, but I'm way too far away for any sort of wifi to reach the meter.

Just thought I'd chip in for anyone who thinks you have some sort of requirement to give them a regular reading - you don't.

6 hours ago, the_bloke said:

I don't have a smart meter, as I don't even have a key for the meter cupboard for my half of the apartment building I live in. I'm not allowed a key to access my own meter due to 'health and safety' which is silly.

Anyway, I gave up chasing the building management company to give me a monthly reading as it was a PITA, so I've not given a reading now for over three years. I get an email asking for me for a reading once a quarter, but they've never actually tried to physically take one. A smart meter would solve this nonsense, but I'm way too far away for any sort of wifi to reach the meter.

Just thought I'd chip in for anyone who thinks you have some sort of requirement to give them a regular reading - you don't.

I hope your bills have not under read because you could end up with a massive bill. Of course you could be owed a lot.

On 27/11/2021 at 11:05, Mr Bloke said:

It amuses me when people think a Smart meter will save them money.

In what way do you expect it to do that? :suspect:

It's not going to automatically switch your TV off the minute the adverts come on in the middle of Corrie.

It's not going to stop you from boiling a full kettle of water for just your morning cuppa.

And if you need something to tell you that you've left a light on, then it's not a Smart meter you need...

... it's a visit to the opticians! :cool:

Smart meters don't save money, people save money.   

The more information I have about my energy use, and how much it costs me, the easier it will be for me to make changes to reduce that cost.    Or perhaps it will give me information to look for a better deal from a different energy company.    If it turns out that I use most energy on a particular day of the week, or at a particular time of day, then I can look at doing things to reduce that and make the biggest impact - perhaps different light bulbs, or turning down the heating by a degree or have it come on 10 minutes later or turn off 10 minutes earlier.

Or if I can put a price on how much the kettle boiling is actually costing, maybe that will motivate me not to fill it as full.   Or maybe I will look more actively for more energy-efficient devices.

Whether current models actually provide enough information is one of the reasons I've not been an early adopter.   I haven't seen anything with enough detail when I've researched them.

It's like dieting by calorie counting, if you can see what's going on it can make you more likely to do something about it.

On 29/11/2021 at 16:06, the_bloke said:

What makes you think they use WiFi ?

12 hours ago, alarmingmark said:

What makes you think they use WiFi ?

They don't, but for any sort of peripherals to the meter like an in home display it does. As the cupboard is locked and I can't access the meter, I can't verify what the meter might be sending to the electricity company without the home display and I'm in no different a situation than I am currently.