Smart Meter

I too was offended by the way these meters were ‘sold’  to us,   as if they would safe us money.  What rubbish.  
I absolutely refused time and time again to have one fitted.  However,  British Gas have told me that my meter is so old it is at the end of it’s ‘life’ and needs to be replaced.  I asked for it to be replaced with a non smart meter.  I was told a smart meter is free, non smart £120.  

13 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

It amuses me when people think a Smart meter will save them money.

In what way do you expect it to do that? :suspect:

It's not going to automatically switch your TV off the minute the adverts come on in the middle of Corrie.

It's not going to stop you from boiling a full kettle of water for just your morning cuppa.

And if you need something to tell you that you've left a light on, then it's not a Smart meter you need...

... it's a visit to the opticians! :cool:

Spot on Mr Bloke :thumbsup:

although, for all the Daughters out there.  if someone is constantly telling you to turn the lights off - It's yer Dad :bigsmile:.

Keep safe out there 8).

Surely they make you use more electricity? Don't you have to power a device that sits somewhere in your house showing what you've used? Even if it's battery powered, you're still using more energy...

Have a look at the electric meter turn into a 'Whirligig' when your using an arc welder 👀. 

If smart meters are so smart, why do they send someone every so often to read it and then ask me to send them a reading also?

21 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Have a look at the electric meter turn into a 'Whirligig' when your using an arc welder 👀. 

I think you ought to keep quiet about that, Mr Rocker...

... or we'll be having Greta starting a campaign to ban diy shops from selling welding materials! :hihi:

18 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

If smart meters are so smart, why do they send someone every so often to read it and then ask me to send them a reading also?

Maybe you've got one of the OCD type? :hihi:

A couple of months back EDF rang me about having a smart meter fitted I said I don't want one several times and he kept going on, I said look I don't want one installing, he then said what is your reason for not wanting one, I said oh do I need a reason not to have one installed at which point he gave up.

1 hour ago, Kidorry said:

I put my meter readings in every month usually on the same date, I think they are obliged by law to actually come and take a reading once a year.

This year Severn Trent Water sent a mail asking for my meter reading, I had the water meter fitted March 2015 and this was the first time they have ever asked for a reading, which was a month before they usually bill me.

Edited by iansheff

No chuffin smart meter for me,

I've got enough on with my smart Television.

It's forever outwitting me, loves playing silly bugger... 

Clever git.

1 hour ago, iansheff said:

A couple of months back EDF rang me about having a smart meter fitted I said I don't want one several times and he kept going on, I said look I don't want one installing, he then said what is your reason for not wanting one, I said oh do I need a reason not to have one installed at which point he gave up.

I put my meter readings in every month usually on the same date, I think they are obliged by law to actually come and take a reading once a year.

This year Severn Trent Water sent a mail asking for my meter reading, I had the water meter fitted March 2015 and this was the first time they have ever asked for a reading, which was a month before they usually bill me.

The same thing happened to me and when I got the next payment invoice it was much lower than usual.

2 hours ago, Mr Bloke said:

Maybe you've got one of the OCD type? :hihi:

If I knew what OCD was I may answer you.

14 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

The same thing happened to me and when I got the next payment invoice it was much lower than usual.

If I knew what OCD was I may answer you.

Obsessive compulsive behaviour