Where To Rent In North Sheffield

Hi guys,

I'm moving to Sheffield in the end of January for a job relocation and I'm looking for recommendations on what areas are nice to live in.

I will need to commute to Sheffield city centre few times a week, but overall my work base is in Barnsley. 

I am planning to rent for a year whilst deciding whether to buy a house to settle down, and my budget for the rental is £700/ month for one-bedroom house/ flat (£800/month max but hopefully I can get a decent place with budget of £700). I do drive so I will need a parking space.

I am looking for somewhere safe and quiet, easy to commute to Barnsley but also not too far from Sheffield city centre as I do need to commute to there once or twice a week, with some nice parks and basic amenities (shops like tesco express for quick groceries shopping, gym if possible). 

Thanks in advance!

Flora

Parson Cross/Shiregreen are probably going to be your cheapest, yet safest bet. Close to Barnsley Road and M1 J35 for access to Barnsley, and close enough to Sheffield also.

Parson Cross seems to be an upcoming area at the moment, with the large scale regeneration and new build houses that are going up. 

How about Chapeltown (and Ecclesfield)? Short train journey to Barnsley and Sheff (and beyond of course).  A small town with a train station, suprermarkets, pubs, other shops and amenities and cheap housing.

18 hours ago, FloraDDD said:

Hi guys,

I'm moving to Sheffield in the end of January for a job relocation and I'm looking for recommendations on what areas are nice to live in.

I will need to commute to Sheffield city centre few times a week, but overall my work base is in Barnsley. 

I am planning to rent for a year whilst deciding whether to buy a house to settle down, and my budget for the rental is £700/ month for one-bedroom house/ flat (£800/month max but hopefully I can get a decent place with budget of £700). I do drive so I will need a parking space.

I am looking for somewhere safe and quiet, easy to commute to Barnsley but also not too far from Sheffield city centre as I do need to commute to there once or twice a week, with some nice parks and basic amenities (shops like tesco express for quick groceries shopping, gym if possible). 

Thanks in advance!

Flora

I'd recommend Chapeltown, just like poster #3.

Close to the motorway for hoping to Barnsley by car. It has got bus links to Barnsley. Trains to Sheffield, Barnsley.

Good amenities, the ASDA, other shops. Good pubs & takeaways.

If you do settle there's a good choice of housing to consider. The park and neighbouring areas are good for walking and outdoor stuff. There's a few options for gyms and exercising. Good access and close to M'hell and Fox Valley for shopping malls. 

On 25/11/2021 at 23:23, Michael_N said:

Parson Cross/Shiregreen are probably going to be your cheapest, yet safest bet. Close to Barnsley Road and M1 J35 for access to Barnsley, and close enough to Sheffield also.

Parson Cross seems to be an upcoming area at the moment, with the large scale regeneration and new build houses that are going up. 

Thanks! There’s no flat/ house to rent in area at the moment, but I will keep an eye on this area! 

On 26/11/2021 at 09:37, Bilge said:

How about Chapeltown (and Ecclesfield)? Short train journey to Barnsley and Sheff (and beyond of course).  A small town with a train station, suprermarkets, pubs, other shops and amenities and cheap housing.

On 26/11/2021 at 15:34, S35_2o21 said:

I'd recommend Chapeltown, just like poster #3.

Close to the motorway for hoping to Barnsley by car. It has got bus links to Barnsley. Trains to Sheffield, Barnsley.

Good amenities, the ASDA, other shops. Good pubs & takeaways.

If you do settle there's a good choice of housing to consider. The park and neighbouring areas are good for walking and outdoor stuff. There's a few options for gyms and exercising. Good access and close to M'hell and Fox Valley for shopping malls. 

Chapeltown seems like a great option as well. Thanks! 

I have heard mixed opinions about Chapeltown though. Is there any areas to avoid? 

How about Barnsley? 
Is that a nice and safe area to live? 

14 hours ago, FloraDDD said:

How about Barnsley? 
Is that a nice and safe area to live? 

Barnsley is a big place with lovely bits and not so nice bits... 

You might have to learn the accent though, in some areas you might struggle to understand people...

Best to come up and have a drive round the areas you're considering. 

As a previous poster mentioned, I'd recommend Ecclesfield. I lived there a few years ago and loved it. An ideal location for your requirements.1

Chapeltown is the one, regular trains to both Sheffield and Barnsley, also right by M1 J35 so a short commute to Barnsley by car

On 27/11/2021 at 19:49, FloraDDD said:

Chapeltown seems like a great option as well. Thanks! 

I have heard mixed opinions about Chapeltown though. Is there any areas to avoid? 

That would be partly determined by your budget I think, and what your requirements are (e.g. would you prefer to be close to pubs etc or a gym). I'm not aware of any particular areas which are to be avoided. 

On 28/11/2021 at 10:51, bungleboy69 said:

Barnsley is a big place with lovely bits and not so nice bits... 

You might have to learn the accent though, in some areas you might struggle to understand people...

Best to come up and have a drive round the areas you're considering. 

As a previous poster mentioned, I'd recommend Ecclesfield. I lived there a few years ago and loved it. An ideal location for your requirements.1

How about Birdwell and Wombwell? Anyone is familiar with these areas?