Shops Asking To Check In Your Bags At Checkouts

16 minutes ago, Resident said:

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/employees/being-a-security-guard/#:~:text=Basically%2C you’re entitled to detain a person you suspect of shoplifting%2C as long as you have reasonable grounds for this suspicion.

And yes you are being confrontational/resistant. In this circumstance the adage of "if you have nothing to fear" rings true. An innocent person would oblige and prove their innocence. 

Everytime I've been stopped I've agreed, they've checked, apologised & thanked me for my co-operation. 

Guilty people resist because they don't want to get caught which is why doing so increasing the staff's reason of suspicion and allows them to detain you. 99% of the time they will detain you and have police attend for a forced search,  no rights have been infringed and the security have acted within the law. 

You just described a doormat, not an innocent person. 

Tell me, when I objected and left the shop why wasn't I detained and arrested by Plod? 

Edited by The_DADDY

Hmmm... :huh:

Has the law changed on this then?

I'm sure, in the past, you couldn't be found guilty of stealing anything providing you were still inside the store - even if you'd hidden something about your person!

That's why store detectives always let you leave the store before they stopped you.

Having never been in a position to test this 'theory', I am happy for someone with first hand experience to correct me... :)

Oh dear…

Sometimes I suspect people just don’t read my posts, or engage with and address the points I actually make. It’s like they just continue to affirm the same line of (their) thought, without comprehending or reacting to any of my points.

I have said multiple times, my not engaging with security staff only happens AFTER we’ve established they have no evidence of wrong doing, hence, no basis for suspicion.

Sheesh!

Also, the line of reasoning that an innocent person would conform with any requests to prove innocence, and not doing so is some kind of indication of guilt, I seriously doubt has any legal weight.

Police may often make such arguments during interview in an attempt to get you to self incriminate; but there is no upside in talking to the police, even when you’re innocent.

8 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Oh dear…

Sometimes I suspect people just don’t read my posts, or engage with and address the points I actually make. It’s like they just continue to affirm the same line of (their) thought, without comprehending or reacting to any of my points.

I have said multiple times, my not engaging with security staff only happens AFTER we’ve established they have no evidence of wrong doing, hence, no basis for suspicion.

Sheesh!

It is a growing concern to me too, Mr Waldo...

... people just can't seem to concentrate on any post longer than a simple sentence before their fingers spontaneously bash out some unrelated nonsense! :(

My next door neighbour got caught stealing a calendar,

They took him to court, and he got 12 months.

2 hours ago, Resident said:

And yes you are being confrontational/resistant. In this circumstance the adage of "if you have nothing to fear" rings true. An innocent person would oblige and prove their innocence. 

That is clearly not true- I would be as unobliging as I could and make things difficult for them.

Several other posters on this thread seem to feel the same.

2 hours ago, Resident said:

Guilty people resist because they don't want to get caught.....

Not just guilty people. And it is certainly not the case that only guilty people resist. 

Some innocent people resist- for the reasons given in this thread.

5 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

That is clearly not true- I would be as unobliging as I could and make things difficult for them.

What a terrible attitude to have,

There only trying to do a job that there paid to do..

11 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Mighty big chip on his shoulder 

Chunky or crinkle cut? :suspect:

20 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Go shop somewhere else then. Private premises like shops are entitled to introduce their own rules on their own premises as long as they don't break the law.

2 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Go shop somewhere else then. Private premises like shops are entitled to introduce their own rules on their own premises as long as they don't break the law.

Not being immediately compliant when asked to show the contents of my bag is not breaking the law either.