Shops Asking To Check In Your Bags At Checkouts

Friend of mine went to sports direct then went in to another shop.  When she got to the checkout at second shop she was asked could you open the sports direct bag  for inspection by the checkout person. She did do as asked but felt a little ashamed for this to happen at checkout in front of plenty of other customers.  Should stores be asking people to do this and would you object ?

6 minutes ago, rudds1 said:

Friend of mine went to sports direct then went in to another shop.  When she got to the checkout at second shop she was asked could you open the sports direct bag  for inspection by the checkout person. She did do as asked but felt a little ashamed for this to happen at checkout in front of plenty of other customers.  Should stores be asking people to do this and would you object ?

Depends on the other shop, how they were asked, and why. Personally, I may query it, but wouldn't object - I've had a similar experience when doing my weekly shop - I shop at both Sainsbury's and Tesco, and have had a bag-check on the the self-scanner checkout - not a problem as I had the Sains receipt.

As someone with a partner who worked in retail until recently, those nice big Sports Direct bags are good for lining with foil to subvert the scanners they have on shop exits. 

I wouldn't be remotely bothered by someone asking to look in a bag, no. I think I'd feel more embarrassed if I was stopped leaving a store by security asking to look in my bag.

1 hour ago, rudds1 said:

I'd probably insist on filming any search of the bag on my mobile. On the grounds that otherwise they might slip in an item and accuse me of shoplifting.

A couple of years ago I bought some stuff in Sports Direct in town, and the security guard there asked to look inside my bag as I was leaving. It was no problem as I hoped he would ask everyone else the same. 

I was recently asked to show the contents of my tesco carrier bag whilst leaving Tesco. My question was "do you suspect me of stealing?" 

Tesco. "no" 

Me. "Bye then" 

Sure he huffed and puffed a little but seeing as the incident caused a great deal of distress to my daughter I was in no mood to stand arguing the toss so we left. 

If you've nothing to hide , you have nothing to fear.

18 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Depends on the other shop, how they were asked, and why. Personally, I may query it, but wouldn't object - I've had a similar experience when doing my weekly shop - I shop at both Sainsbury's and Tesco, and have had a bag-check on the the self-scanner checkout - not a problem as I had the Sains receipt.

This can be a problem where shops don't give you a recipt especially where two shops sell the same item but the first is a lot cheaper so you buy that in the first shop. I first encountered the problem at Castle Market and Sainsburys stocked the same item at about twice the price and I was asked at Sainsburys if I had forgoten to pay and I had no recipt. Nasty, after that I had to inconvenience myself by doing the shop the other way round because the market stall would still not give me a recipt.

2 hours ago, kevvy said:

If you've nothing to hide , you have nothing to fear.

You have if the first shop refused you a recipt.

1 minute ago, spilldig said:

This can be a problem where shops don't give you a recipt especially where two shops sell the same item but the first is a lot cheaper so you buy that in the first shop. I first encountered the problem at Castle Market and Sainsburys stocked the same item at about twice the price and I was asked at Sainsburys if I had forgoten to pay and I had no recipt. Nasty, after that I had to inconvenience myself by doing the shop the other way round because the market stall would still not give me a recipt.

Yup, a bit dodgy, but how often do they check your bags? The ONLY time I encounter it is at the 'random check' on self-service check-outs, and that only happens very rarely.

5 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Yup, a bit dodgy, but how often do they check your bags? The ONLY time I encounter it is at the 'random check' on self-service check-outs, and that only happens very rarely.

It is better now with the self service checkouts.