Ikea Sheffield Kitchen Installations

Hey all, 

Has anyone here used Sheffield Ikea's kitchen design AND installation services? 

What has your experience been with them? 

What were the costs like? 
What were the lead times like? 
Were you happy with the end result? 

Thanks! 

I don't know any kitchen fitters/joiners who will install an IKEA kitchen.

Read into that what you will.

1 hour ago, dan2802 said:

I seem to remember the hardboard backs of IKEA base cabinets are attached right at the back of the cabinet as opposed to in a channel a couple of inches forward of the back. Is that right? How the heck is one supposed to install the base cabinets in a room where the walls aren't quite square without taking a bit off the back?

Am I remembering right? How is it supposed to work?

13 hours ago, dan2802 said:

Yep, this is what I have heard too, but at the same time others are saying it's an easy install and there are independent kitchen fitters offering their services to install Ikea kitchens - Very mixed reviews out there regarding the fitting, hence my question around Ikea specific installations done by their own contractors (assuming they hopefully know what they're doing and are willing to deal with the assembly and hacking the base cabinet backs)  🤷‍♀️

2 hours ago, Aerie said:

Yep, this is what I have heard too, but at the same time others are saying it's an easy install and there are independent kitchen fitters offering their services to install Ikea kitchens - Very mixed reviews out there regarding the fitting, hence my question around Ikea specific installations done by their own contractors (assuming they hopefully know what they're doing and are willing to deal with the assembly and hacking the base cabinet backs)  🤷‍♀️

Sorry, I missed the bit about the fact that IKEA would actually be arranging the installation.

I remain curious about what the installers do to make a good job of it.

Correct. IKEA kitchens don't have a 'service cavity' at the rear.

It's easy enough to create a service cavity at the back if you want. Just cut the  back down to size using a track saw, and fix some wooden blocks to fit the back. The next time I'm installing a kitchen, I won't be fitting the backs into the  groove, but fitting them to blocks fitted into the grooves. This will allow the backs to be removed from the front, so I can access the walls and service cavity at any time.  

I’d stay well away from them, a fitted for them a few years ago and what a nightmare it was and honestly they are the worst kitchens I’ve installed in over 23 years in my trade.