New Law To Give Full Life Sentence To Anyone Killing An Emergency Worker

1 minute ago, West 77 said:

No reasonable person can see a good reason for criminal acts against emergency  workers in the line of duty.

Nice. I see what you tried to do there 😂

More loosely drafted legislation that is open to interpretation. 

More creeping control? 

You decide....

14 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Not sure I understand that, but if you are saying that someone who pulls people out of a burning building is in some way worth more than someone who makes the tea, then I disagree.

A persons worth is defined by far more than what they do at work, a persons "worth" should have no bearing whatsoever on whatever sentence might be passed on theie assailant, should they be assaulted/murdered.

Apologies if that was not what you meant.

It’s just my thing, I appreciate that we wouldn’t function well without a ‘public sector’, I would just like some public sector workers to recognise that they would be equally disadvantaged by the absence of a functioning private sector.

13 hours ago, West 77 said:

No reasonable person can see a good reason for criminal acts against emergency  workers in the line of duty.

No reasonable person can see a good reason for criminal acts against anybody going about their lawful business, regardless of their employment.

What's next, a background check on the victim to see if a harsher, or perhaps a more lenient sentence is required?

What about this guy...https://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/news/crime/paedophile-policeman-higham-ferrers-streamed-child-abuse-videos-1370396 what if he gets unlawfully killed in the line of duty? Go for a lighter sentence? Or does his public service balance out his other crimes?

Edited by Bargepole23

19 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

It's a terrible idea and I hope it doesn't happen. 

Surprisingly for once, (possibly the first time?), I'm in total agreement with Daddy. 

We already have sufficient laws to deal with such circumstances, hence the longevity of Harry Roberts being in prison for all the years he was & judges already have the powers to hand down full life terms. 

Imagine one of your loved  ones murdered & the murderer gets 17 years but next day a police officer is murdered in similar circumstances but the culprit gets a full life term.  How would you feel? 

Robbed of justice? 

16 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Surprisingly for once, (possibly the first time?), I'm in total agreement with Daddy. 

We already have sufficient laws to deal with such circumstances, hence the longevity of Harry Roberts being in prison for all the years he was & judges already have the powers to hand down full life terms. 

Imagine one of your loved  ones murdered & the murderer gets 17 years but next day a police officer is murdered in similar circumstances but the culprit gets a full life term.  How would you feel? 

Robbed of justice? 

I would think the value of my loved one's life has been judged to be of lesser value than someone who happens to wear a uniform, which I can never agree with.

Purely grandstanding by the government, and a cheap vote win amongst the more rabid Tories.

42 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The government have plans to introduce life sentences for those found guilty of causing death by child abuse.  At the moment the maximum sentence is 14 years which will increase to a life sentence.  From my understanding it won't me a mandatory life sentence but it's a step in the right direction. To be honest I'm surprised a life sentence wasn't already the maximum sentence for such a crime.

There should be an independent review, sentencing should not be political.

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

The government have plans to introduce life sentences for those found guilty of causing death by child abuse.  At the moment the maximum sentence is 14 years which will increase to a life sentence.  From my understanding it won't me a mandatory life sentence but it's a step in the right direction. To be honest I'm surprised a life sentence wasn't already the maximum sentence for such a crime.

Its been on the news about this legislation.  For me Government is moving in the right direction and it’s not before time.