New Law To Give Full Life Sentence To Anyone Killing An Emergency Worker

It seems the government have approved the new law to sentence anyone to life imprisonment if they kill an emergency worker while carrying out their duties...

In my opinion that law is seriously flawed and unjust......

Why does it only apply to emergency workers carrying out their duties, why not at anytime?

Why is it just emergency workers? Isn't a baby, a child or woman's life just as important to get justice?

Life sentences should be given to anyone killing anyone and not just because they are emergency workers..

1 hour ago, alandrea0 said:

It seems the government have approved the new law to sentence anyone to life imprisonment if they kill an emergency worker while carrying out their duties...

In my opinion that law is seriously flawed and unjust......

Why does it only apply to emergency workers carrying out their duties, why not at anytime?

Why is it just emergency workers? Isn't a baby, a child or woman's life just as important to get justice?

Life sentences should be given to anyone killing anyone and not just because they are emergency workers..

Their definition of an Emergency Worker and what they were doing when killed would help, pulling someone out of a burning building would come higher than making the tea IMHO.

Still not sure what difference the new law makes ,surely there's a minimum time set to serve before you can apply for parole.

I think the topic header is wrong it implies a " full life tarrif" which only about 20 people are under.

Edited by butlers

It's a terrible idea and I hope it doesn't happen. 

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

Their definition of an Emergency Worker and what they were doing when killed would help, pulling someone out of a burning building would come higher than making the tea IMHO.

Not sure I understand that, but if you are saying that someone who pulls people out of a burning building is in some way worth more than someone who makes the tea, then I disagree.

A persons worth is defined by far more than what they do at work, a persons "worth" should have no bearing whatsoever on whatever sentence might be passed on theie assailant, should they be assaulted/murdered.

Apologies if that was not what you meant.

Edited by Bargepole23

1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

It's a terrible idea and I hope it doesn't happen. 

I agree.

In the link below a train guard was sent to jail for five years because he signalled the train to set off too soon. Had he killed an emergency worker, would it be life in jail.

Five years is a tough sentence for making a mistake.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/nov/15/train-guard-jailed-death-teenager

Now I have had a read ,it's a terrible law.

Currently judges can give a life  sentence for manslaughter anyway.

All cases are different, discretion in sentencing should be left to the judge

Edited by butlers

6 minutes ago, butlers said:

Now I have a read ,it's a terrible law.

Currently judges can give a life  sentence for manslaughter anyway.

All cases are different, discretion in sentencing should be left to the judge

I agree,but I would stiffen the sentencing of those  guilty of assaulting police officers,ambulance and hospital staff .

We have sufficient laws to cover most events,but the system fails at the detection and punishment stage in many cases.

Edited by RJRB

Yes altering sentencing guidelines is an entirely more sensible idea.

Like a lawyer has said you could have a situation where a criminal pushes a cop way ,they stumble and fall badly and die of a head injury ,that could get you life.

Alternatively ,a criminal stabs a officer multiple times but he lives and gets a much smaller sentence

50 minutes ago, West 77 said:

You can not be serious?

Why? 

10 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Because I can see no good reason why those committing criminal acts against the people working in the emergency services shouldn't receive life sentences if their criminal act results in the death of the said emergency worker.

So because you cant see a reason that means no one else can? 

Right, got it.