Reading V Blades

Work has prevented me a cold, midweek trip to Reading this evening... so I'm watching the boys on the big screen, as opposed to in the stands. 

Missed the first 10 minutes due to the time I finished work, therefore I can't really comment about that. All in all though I guess the key word being 'improved'.....because it's a damn sight better than our last effort. 

First half....we created opportunities, but again couldn't cut the opposition open. Story of our season....?? That said, we were the better team and we are playing away from home.

Second half we have continued dominance in the most but still show signs of inability in the final third. Through decent passing moves, we've created a couple of very decent chances......we just lack that cutting edge.

A few discussion points for me.....

McGoldrick.... I don't know what he is in terms of position any more, but tonight he's had one of those semi-decent games that he pulls out of the bag from time to time. He isn't anything like the player has been in the past in front of goal, but he is still capable of a work horse performance. Tonight he's battled hard and he's tried to bring MGW and Bogle into the game on the other side.....it was his fantastic ball that picked out Bogle for the goal. That said, in my opinion......we need an upgrade, up top!

In terms of MGW and Bogle, those two do have a degree of understanding together. They read eachother well and overlap well...they have the capability to overwhelm defenders. That's one positive at the moment for us....

Basham is basham....nobody puts a shift in more than basham. He leaves everything on the grass and is just an honest, old fashioned player.

Fotheringhay has again been a steady Eddie. His experience shows, he looks more reassured than Olsen....and to be honest  the defenders look far .ore reassured for having him behind them at the moment...

Finally John Fleck.....Didn't see any prior incident due to the location of them camera, however my own knowledge showed what appeared to be seizure activity. Not sure of the cause, don't want to disrespect by speculating on the cause.....but glad to see him alert and responsive after a period of time. Fingers crossed for a speedy, full recovery 

All in all a huge three points in what is very much a slump to form.......the shortfallings are obvious, as are the areas for improvement. We need to act in the window!

Edited by cmonkes

No idea what has happened to the lad , but hope he is OK , good win as well .

Hope Fleck recovers quickly. UTO!

Hope Fleck is ok,like the lad.

Edited by ukdobby

Well done to Sheffield’s football community for coming together over events at Reading yesterday. We’re all football fans at the end of the day.

About the game. Very very lacklustre up to half time, so much so that I tuned out. 

OP nails it really. Bland football lacking spark and inspiration. We’ve too many players in the twilight of their careers, Norwood, Sharpe, Stevens, Fleck, I’d exclude Bash and Didsy because they’re still effective.

Stoke aside we’re only beating teams at the bottom end of the table

Wes looks worth persevering with. Olsen not doing it for me. Bogie, MGW and the young lad a joy to watch

This teams performances get worse every game three points the only bonus.

Horrible sickening feeling when Fleck took I'll, I know we all hope he's OK and home soon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59401339