Yew Lane, Parson Cross

Every time I drive down this road, I am astonished as to how wide it is when you include the grass verges … does anybody know why it is like this?  
I realise it’s been around for a long time … and originally a Lane … but that doesn’t explain anything to me.

Wonder if it goes back to the post war development of Sheffield.

Rather like the wider verges from top of Deerlands Ave right thru to the Norfolk Arms at Grenoside.

That land was aquired by the former West Riding County Council(?) for future dualing of the road.

There's also land between  the Yew Lane/ Creswick Lane  junction and Halifax road.

I could also imagine Yew Lane might well have been a boundary between Sheff City Council and Wortley Rural District Council areas

Yes it's strange,

A road is anything that connects 2 points,

A street is a public way with buildings on both sides,

A lane is a narrow road often in a rural area.

A clip from.the forum about the post war development of housing 

With this in mind, both Sheffield and Wortley realised that a grand housing expansion scheme was needed, and laid out plans to build some 10,000 houses in the border area between Hillsborough and Ecclesfield. The Sheffield part was mostly completed before the war, and the West Riding contribution was executed immediately post-war. Residents of Ecclesfield and Grenoside objected to being swallowed up by the metropolis, but needs must and their protests were largely ignored.

Never thought about it as a kid when living at Grenoside in the mid 70s but what we called the Council Offices at Salt Box Lane,I now presume was the  HQ for WRDC