Stagecoach Bus Strike & Tram Services Cut

2 minutes ago, bassett one said:

drivers need more money for driving buses and lorrys,theres a huge shortage of drivers as well,so its very easy .the goverment pays for those out of work to learn the job and take the test,thus solves the shortage,as lots cannot afford the lessons and test.

The bus companies already pay for training and PCV licence tests.  The way is works is that they take you on and train you for your PCV and put you through your test at a cost to the company of about £2500. Generally you are then bonded to the company for 2 years. If you leave the company within that 2 years then you are liable for that £2500, although the amount is lessened over that 2 years. 

For instance, pass your test and they will take off £200 the first month and then £100 for each consecutive month worked until month 24, when it's paid off and you're released from the bond. So if you leave at month 12 you would be liable for £1200 towards the cost of your training. Note that this £100/month does not come out of your wages. 

Guest busdriver1
6 minutes ago, bassett one said:

drivers need more money for driving buses and lorrys,theres a huge shortage of drivers as well,so its very easy .the goverment pays for those out of work to learn the job and take the test,thus solves the shortage,as lots cannot afford the lessons and test.

For decades the haulage industry has been taking the cheap way out and making drivers pay for and even source their own tests and lessons. The bus industry (bigger than small operators) has always trained their own hence why they are not in as much trouble. 

Pay is not the major issue, as someone who worked in the industry for years that isnt even in the top 10 of most staff

1 minute ago, Resident said:

The bus companies already pay for training and PCV licence tests.  The way is works is that they take you on and train you for your PCV and put you through your test at a cost to the company of about £2500. Generally you are then bonded to the company for 2 years. If you leave the company within that 2 years then you are liable for that £2500, although the amount is lessened over that 2 years. 

For instance, pass your test and they will take off £200 the first month and then £100 for each consecutive month worked until month 24, when it's paid off and you're released from the bond. So if you leave at month 12 you would be liable for £1200 towards the cost of your training. Note that this £100/month does not come out of your wages. 

very true, also true is that it is non enforceable by law if you go about it the right way.

23 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

They have screwed up on other rail franchises

to the best of my knowledge they have never thrown one back unlike the other 2 

On 25/11/2021 at 11:21, dave_the_m said:

Show me just one specific example.

Being offered a job (which you are free to decline) which includes certain conditions such as paying back for training if you quit too soon, might potentially violate employment law, but would not be considered being forced to sign under duress.

If you are on UC you are not free to decline a job, as you would have your benefits stopped if you did. Would be interesting to know whether anyone has managed to argue that they only signed a contract under duress from the DWP.

Anyway, all the best to the striking drivers, I hope you win you fight for decent pay and conditions. It's not a job I would want to do, but it's an important one that deserves decent remuneration.

3 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

very true, also true is that it is non enforceable by law if you go about it the right way.

Contract signed under duress? 

3 hours ago, bassett one said:

It’s about £2000 from start to finish to get you hgv licence.    Only problem is when you pass most employers want at least 2 years experience and so you get stuck in the circle   No experience no job ,no job no experience 

Guest busdriver1
1 hour ago, Resident said:

Contract signed under duress? 

Yes and trade training. Works every time. 

And despite the barrack room lawyers saying jts not duress several judges have said it is and I know who I believe. 

Edited by busdriver1

18 hours ago, Resident said:

When I passed with Stagecoach 13 years ago they took 40 quid a month out of my wage I think for either a year or two years despite the government paying them for every new driver trained up. Then they don't even take money out for training, why should I pay but not some other depots. There are plenty of ways bus companies could reward drivers and stop new starters leaving after a couple of weeks but they aren't interested.

Anyway I'll be on the picket line for as long as required, I can't see me sticking around for much longer after that though.

Just curious, anyone on the inside know why stagecoach services running out of the Worksop depot are not on strike? Is it sort of similar to the Notts miners?

Guest busdriver1
19 minutes ago, Janus said:

Just curious, anyone on the inside know why stagecoach services running out of the Worksop depot are not on strike? Is it sort of similar to the Notts miners?

They are part of Lincolnshire's operation and have a different union.

Ok busdriver1. Thanks for your prompt reply.

Unless the 86 is now run from Chesterfield or some other depot, it looks like things have changed.

Stagecoach Yorkshire bus strike from 2nd January UFN:

A limited weekday service will run on Sheffield routes 1, 7, 25, 57 and 120 using non-union drivers starting Tuesday 4th. Timetables at https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and-offers/yorkshire/industrial-action

Normal service will operate on Chesterfield routes 43/44, 50/50a, 65, 80/80a and X17 as this depot is not involved in the South Yorkshire strike.

Normal service will operate on Mansfield routes 53/53a as this is operated by Stagecoach East Midlands bus company.

Buses run by other operators including First, TM Travel, Hulleys of Baslow, Powells and South Pennine Community Transport will run normally as will Supertram and local trains. For suggested alternatives to Stagecoach Yorkshire bus services that aren't operating visit https://travelsouthyorkshire.com/en-gb/newsupdates/service-changes.

Edited by Andy C