Yorkshire County Cricket Club

Guest sibon
1 hour ago, RJRB said:

Yorkshire have now cleared out all of their coaching staff from Moxon and Gale downwards.

The big challenge now is to find 15 or 16 replacements with totally lily white and unblemished records.

Quite a challenge in the presence of social media 

Looks like they might be needing some new players too.

Total mess

Yes, a total mess. And probably going to worsen. 

But one positive initiative is that YCCC have commissioned a full review by an outside body into this whole sorry sequence of events. And I do hope that review will listen to ALL SIDES, in an open manner. I gather that there were some troubled employees who wished to put their own experiences to a wider audience, but they were set aside as being unhelpful. 

Rafiq's disclosures, in the press and to the select committee were deeply troubling, and rightly received a lot of publicity. However, they were taken as read, and as result many people have lost their livelyhoods, some with trashed reputations. And YCCC are £millions adrift as a result. I do hope the enquiry will test some of those assertations, if only in the interest of (belated) due process. And that they will confine themselves to YCCC persons involved, and not draw in outside well-wishers. 

Should I have doubts?

Perhaps compensation requests are already being prepared by all the usual comp companies .

Are these issues solely a Yorkshire CC problem or just the tip of the Iceberg? 

3 minutes ago, Baron99 said:Are these issues solely a Yorkshire CC problem or just the tip of the Iceberg? 

I am sure  it could be a much wider issue.

In fact much wider than cricket.

6 hours ago, RJRB said:

I am sure  it could be a much wider issue.

In fact much wider than cricket.

I find it hard to believe that this problem only appears to have existed, does only exist at Yorkshire CCC?   I mean there doesn't appear, or its not come to light yet, at say Warwickshire CCC, with a large ethnic population surrounding that club?   I wonder if there's a collective sigh of relief from a number of other clubs that Yorkshire have been hit so hard that other clubs can now quietly put their own clubs in order without attracting any attention & suffering sanctions & penalties? 

Also, wasn't one of the allegations that Yorkshire was elitist in some way with young players coming from public school life?  Funny, I thought the likes of Michael Vaughan went to somewhere like King Edward's secondary in Sheffield & didn't Joe Root go to King Ecgbert's?  

Edited by Baron99

Apologies for going off topic but, my son played local football to a good level, he developed a cranial growth that eventually required surgery. He was very conscious of this so decided to let his hair grow, and boy did it grow. Both his team mates and opposition players took the mickey, which he took in his stride. I wodered if he had been Asian or black, could this have been construed as racist?

I don’t trust YCCC to handle this in the correct manner, just because Rafiq is of Asian birth doesn’t make him right, this needs expert third party investigation.

I would say over the last 30 years or so every sports club has had someone who’s done it said something which is deemed racist today,they just haven’t had someone who’s raised it.

28 minutes ago, ukdobby said:

I would say over the last 30 years or so every sports club has had someone who’s done it said something which is deemed racist today,they just haven’t had someone who’s raised it.

Very probably. It could open up a whole Hornet's nest of trouble. 

Personally, I believe if a person's comments are not intended to give offence or be malicious (eg a joke) but the recipient finds it offensive, they should point it out there and then.

But that should be the end of it.   

Edited by Anna B

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Very probably. It could open up a whole Hornet's nest of trouble. 

Personally, I believe if a person's comments are not intended to give offence or be malicious (eg a joke) but the recipient finds it offensive, they should point it out there and then.

But that should be the end of it.   

Yes I agree, however I feel that the current tirade of back dated racism is solicitor instigated and led.

A lot of people have lost their jobs , The complainant has also used racist language when he was 19 , A few years ago ..

Darren Gough returns to the fold as M.D.

No doubt some will be scrutinising his past speeches and comments for anything suspect when what is more important is the intention going forward.