Best Charities?

That's a laughable article to claim the RNLI funding is at a record low.

The RNLIs oversea work accounts for much less than 2% of it's income.

And the article does seem to imply that is part funded by the Overseas Development Fund.

The mindset of a UK citizen wanting to cut off 98% of the funding to help " at home" on that warped principle is baffling

Salvation Army for me.

They do a lot of good work in a vast variety of fields.

They don't just work with believers by any means,

and take on a lot of the hardest cases.

28 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Salvation Army for me.

They do a lot of good work in a vast variety of fields.

They don't just work with believers by any means,

and take on a lot of the hardest cases.

Their work is fine but I won't touch them because of their dubious comments on homesexuality and reoccurring examples of discrimination against the LGBTQ community.

6 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Their work is fine but I won't touch them because of their dubious comments on homesexuality and reoccurring examples of discrimination against the LGBTQ community.

I have not heard anything that you mention.

Edited by harvey19

23 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

I have not heard anything that you mention.

Neither have I, but there isn't a religion on earth that I agree with 100% which is why I personally don't go in for organised reliion. But my benchmark is always 'what would Jesus do?' and I believe he would embrace everyone, all types, colours and creeds, regardless. 

Edited by Anna B

I don't  give money to any charity these days  because you never know where it's going and how much is being siphoned off. You only have to look at the income of some of the fouders. chairmen, managers, etc and I can't help but think that greed overides any desire to do good works. I will be donating to charity today as it happens but it will be the childrens charity where I buy toys and Christmas presents and put them in the basket. Far less chance of those being siphoned off I think.

Guide Dogs have a reputation for being minted, as does Great Ormond Street Hospital charity - sick kids is an easy fundraiser. I have worked for Shelter previously and found the staff (and local managers) really committed and incredibly hard working, very skilled and knowledge. The London head office crew are seen as a bit disconnected. I also like the National Trust; they're a bit twee, but they have saved so many areas of natural beauty from being ruined. Not fussed about the stately homes, but that's just personal preference.

2 hours ago, spilldig said:

I don't  give money to any charity these days  because you never know where it's going and how much is being siphoned off. You only have to look at the income of some of the fouders. chairmen, managers, etc and I can't help but think that greed overides any desire to do good works. I will be donating to charity today as it happens but it will be the childrens charity where I buy toys and Christmas presents and put them in the basket. Far less chance of those being siphoned off I think.

This is a big problem which I don't think has percolated through to charities yet. Why would people wanto give a % of their small, hard earned salary when the CEO is on £200,000K ( easily checked online.) And then how much is being siphoned off en- route to it's deserving recipients?  Bogus charities are also a problem, as is 'charitable status' eg Eton college, giving charities a bad name.

I think donating things rather than money is always an excellent idea. Where do you donate actual physical toys this year? It seems to change every year. Is it too late now? 

I gave a small ammount to CrowdJustice a few months ago. I believe it was an issue relating to democracy and they were taking the Government to court.

A long running issue for me, is being barred from standing for election to my local authority, because I work for fom.  In Scotland I could stand for election, but I would need to resign if elected. I would pay £1,000 in legal fees if a solicitor could change the law for me. Maybe I would be better off giving my local MP a bung?

7 hours ago, Anna B said:

This is a big problem which I don't think has percolated through to charities yet. Why would people wanto give a % of their small, hard earned salary when the CEO is on £200,000K ( easily checked online.) And then how much is being siphoned off en- route to it's deserving recipients?  Bogus charities are also a problem, as is 'charitable status' eg Eton college, giving charities a bad name.

I think donating things rather than money is always an excellent idea. Where do you donate actual physical toys this year? It seems to change every year. Is it too late now? 

2 minutes ago, spilldig said:

Hi Anna. No not to late. The basket is upstairs in Atkinsons on The Moor.